cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rude campers to the extreme

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
So, we are at Lake George RV Park, N.Y. and had group of campers that were loud two nights in a row. First night I told them they should move their fire away from our camper, midnight. Second night, I went out and almost verbatim told them their conversations for the past half hour. Guy says that I should wear earplugs to bed. I then said you are annoying me and my family, so I will do the same. I started my truck and angled the high beams directly into their group.
About then the on duty manager shows up and apologizes to the group for having to respond to a complaint!
Long story short, we moved to a different site today, screwed up our days plans and we weren't in the wrong! Our new site is much tighter, but surrounded by other respectful campers. I never thought I wouldbe forced to move but they left us with no choice. Ok, rant over.
83 REPLIES 83

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
pbitschura wrote:
Here's where I get called out for flaming....I have become tired of civility as a response to ignorance. I don't suffer fools and I don't validate or enable bad behavior either. I would have done as the op did....but only after management failed its' responsibility to uphold peace.

Not sure what I would do, probably something a little different. But until you have been in some one else's shoes and were in that situation it's hard to judge. I lived in my home for 32 years and 10 - 15 years ago and the houses on both side and across the street turned into rental. I have seen at least 30 "neighbors" come and go in that time. If you would have seen the the BS I have had to put up with all these years you wouldn't have blamed me if I unloaded both barrels. Well, unless you are fortunately well off enough you never have been there.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:
When in the OP's situation, I try and remind myself, they maybe, really great hard working folks, who are just letting their hair down a bit. As long as they are playing by the rules, they have as much right to be there as I do, so I have not much reason to complain. It is not their problem if I want to go to bed early, or have a kid we are trying to get to sleep. They have no obligation to accommodate me.

And a lot of the noise complaint, may well be driven not so much, as to them being really out of line, as it is, by the fact we are all jammed into spots like sardines. Where you are so close you can hear the neighbor burp.

Don't like loud neighbors either, but sometimes it is what it is. And is best just to roll with it, rather than going to war with them.

They have no obligation to you in particular, but the DO have an obligation to follow the rules for quiet hours.
Jim

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Here's where I get called out for flaming....I have become tired of civility as a response to ignorance. I don't suffer fools and I don't validate or enable bad behavior either. I would have done as the op did....but only after management failed its' responsibility to uphold peace.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
captnjack wrote:
intheburbs wrote:
Loud, obnoxious campers at a NY campground. Who'da thunk it?

I was also at a Lake George campground very recently. You could hear a pin drop.

Rudeness knows no geographical boundaries.

True about the rudeness. I camp in CT frequently and have the same "But why do you act sillier here than in your backyard " moments from time to time. Fooled some of my fellow campers by driving around in a rental car with Ohio plates last trip. Had them perplexed;).

Where did you camp at LG and what time of year if you don't mind my asking?

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience a tired baby will sleep through just about anything.

I don't see why the OP's plans for the following day were ruined. IMO, he let it happen that way. That's on him.

rdmike
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:
When in the OP's situation, I try and remind myself, they maybe, really great hard working folks, who are just letting their hair down a bit. As long as they are playing by the rules, they have as much right to be there as I do, so I have not much reason to complain. It is not their problem if I want to go to bed early, or have a kid we are trying to get to sleep. They have no obligation to accommodate me.

And a lot of the noise complaint, may well be driven not so much, as to them being really out of line, as it is, by the fact we are all jammed into spots like sardines. Where you are so close you can hear the neighbor burp.

Don't like loud neighbors either, but sometimes it is what it is. And is best just to roll with it, rather than going to war with them.

Well said.
Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
intheburbs wrote:
Loud, obnoxious campers at a NY campground. Who'da thunk it?

I was also at a Lake George campground very recently. You could hear a pin drop.

Rudeness knows no geographical boundaries.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
This is exactly why we boon-dock in very remote locations, never any type of camp ground and never on a party weekend or party location. When we travel and we have poor neighbors we complain and if we do not see immediate results from management we pack up and leave. There just isn't a way to deal with stupid or rude.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
The OP did what ... probably ... most of us WISH we had the guts to do but don't because we live by civilized rules, or else we are just too da** afraid of confritation and reprocussions. Darn... i wish i had the nerve to respond the way the OP did. Guess I'm just too chicken or just too old now to throw a good punch!

I disagree. It did not take nerves or guts to do what the OP did - that was simply an act of thoughtless childishness. All his act accomplished was to increase the level of rudeness to beyond the two campsites in question. Rather than create a change in behavior from the "problem campers", he created a bigger problem for additional campers.

On the flipside:

edatlanta wrote:
I had a group of campers where I am hosting that didn't get adjoining sites and my site was between them vs walking around a corner in the road. Fortunately they left yesterday because they would walk through my site right across my ground mat unless I was outside. So they knew they shouldn't be doing it, but would if they thought I wasn't looking.

Yesterday morning I saw one of them coming carrying two cups of coffee. Now I'm supposed to be nice to campers at all times so I walked out in front of this guy and asked him if I could help him. He wouldn't make eye contact, but said "no". I then asked if he needed any directions since he was walking through my site vs the road. He declined this too as he was still walking - still no eye contact. I then said "well have a nice day". When he came back for more coffee for his remote group he walked around the road.

This is how it is done. This is what we should aspire to do in the face of rude campers. edatlanta kept the problem contained, yet found a non-aggressive, non-antagonizing way of changing the behavior in the "problem campers". Well done! And yes, this took nerve and guts.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
leggy wrote:
Again, seems even here the rude people are accepted.
Yes, you don't get much sympathy around here. Sorry your experience was terrible. The earplugs remark would have also pushed me over the edge. Good that you moved.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
leggy wrote:
In rereading my post, we did talk to staff after the first night, the security did stop and tell them to turn off the radio. I did tell them nicely the first night that it was too much, too late and we had a baby trying to sleep. The second night I again tried nicely, but I had enough when I was told to wear earplugs.
We were not told to move, we opted because management was unable to handle the situation. Again, seems even here the rude people are accepted.

Actually, the only known act of rudeness was the guy who started up his truck at midnight and shined his high beams into other campers' sites. And that rudeness has been almost unanimously not accepted.

All you told us about the other folks is that they were hanging out at their campfire (of which you didn't like the location and of which they had no control as to its location) and were talking "loud". That's not necessarily rude in its description. How loud was loud? Were they screaming? Were they yelling? Was the radio on full blast? Could it be heard 5 ft away? 10 ft away? 20 ft away? Were any other campers disturbed by the noise?
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for peace and quiet @ Lake George? Didn't know such a thing existed there during the summer:D. Agreeing with others: party central for many campgrounds up there. Maybe give Hearthstone a try next time.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The OP did what ... probably ... most of us WISH we had the guts to do but don't because we live by civilized rules, or else we are just too da** afraid of confritation and reprocussions. Darn... i wish i had the nerve to respond the way the OP did. Guess I'm just too chicken or just too old now to throw a good punch!

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
As said above, Lake George is and has been for years the drinking capital of the northeast. If you want quiet that is not the place to go.
I would also complain if someone turned there lights on other campers in the middle of the night.

Ah oh! That what's wrong with me. Born in Glenn Falls an lived in Warrensburg a year, right by the hoodalums

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer