Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rv Cover use with Solar Question

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

For starters I am not putting the rig away for the year yet, but eventually I am going to have to. Probably next year we are going to purchase the metal carport style to park under, but the cash flow just aint there to purchase now. So, that leaves me using a tarp to cover it for the winter. Is there anything I need to know about covering the solar panels up? I am very new to the solar thing and dont want to make any mistakes. My plan is to cover it up and then plug it in so the batteries stay up. Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
2009 Weekend Warrior Superlite
B&W Companion
2006 Arctic Cat 650 H1 (x2 His and Hers)
An Awesome Family!
13 REPLIES 13

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I have a cover on my camper with 100 watts of solar panels on the roof. With the cover on, the panels will develop 2 amps of current at 13.5 volts. That's PLENTY to keep the battery voltage up.

Here is the cover I am using;

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-80-036-143101-00-PolyPro-Deluxe/dp/B0019ZLPLS/ref=wl_it_dp...

MelinProv
Explorer
Explorer
I have a cover and a area that I cut a hole in it for solar which is covered by a clear plastic that's fairly thick ( think hoop house 20 mil thick )it gives me no troubles. If the weather was better here I would just put my panels outside on the ground or on a mount with a cord going back inside my unit. I have to replace the plastic every 3 or 4 years based on how long it lasts on other things outside but have only used it 2 years now

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
For storage just fully charge your batteries before putting the RV away and then disconnect the batteries. They will stay charged for months.

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
Why not cover it with clear plastic and let the solar panels maintain the battery charge.

Thought about that but the clear plastic is usually pretty thin and I was thinkin it would tear and then it would kind of defeat my purpose.
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
B&W Companion
An Awesome Family!

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
Oh and I am not planning on a full cover, I found some really heavy duty tarps like the truckers use and I was planning on that.
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
B&W Companion
An Awesome Family!

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
Main reason I want to cover it is my neighbor has a boat load of trees and the pine needles, leaves and crud are already all over my roof an the weather here is still in the 90's. can only imagine the mess my roof will be when the weather starts to get bad. Well California bad anyways. I know that is a lot different than what some of you are used to, but none the less we want to protect our investment.
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
B&W Companion
An Awesome Family!

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I live on the Wet Coast of Canada . Since We always head South in the Winter ,We find the Covers to be a Royal PITA! Even though We do get Snow usually by the time We leave, it is easily removed and the Solar Panels are able to keep the Batteries charged.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi CA Traveler,

Actually, not usually. There is sufficient wind to blow the snow off the roof. I've had to use a leaf blower once in 12 years.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

What is the compelling reason to cover? Where I store there are over 1000 RV's none of them are covered.
Aren't they covered by snow? :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

What is the compelling reason to cover? Where I store there are over 1000 RV's none of them are covered.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
camperpaul wrote:
Why not cover it with clear plastic and let the solar panels maintain the battery charge.
Interesting.. I wonder how much energy the plastic itself would absorb.
probably not much, but the question is how much radiant heat will be captured underneath with no ventilation, and what does that do for efficiency, and/ or system heat failures. Been pondering this too
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperpaul wrote:
Interesting.. I wonder how much energy the plastic itself would absorb.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)