cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
Oil prices down slightly today on news that demand has dropped. I guess we have found the threshold of pain...

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Quote Canadian source:

Energy board: Gas prices to stay high all summer
By THE CANADIAN PRESS
2008-05-28 12:05:00

CALGARY - National Energy Board says there won't be any relief from high gasoline prices this summer.

The board's summer outlook says the main reason is the soaring cost of crude oil, which is expected to average US$130 a barrel. The board says natural gas prices are going up, too.

Price of natural gas is expected to remain between US$11 and US$13 per million per thousand cubic feet.
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nuclear, nuclear, nuclear. That's my stance, and has been for 30 years.

It's hard to argue with a submarine that has to be refueled every 20 years.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
No one is saying ANWR is the total answer. I believe he was using ANWR as an example to explain the point he was making (i.e.: environmentalists).

ANWR is just one piece of a large puzzle. Other pieces would include Bakken, off shore, and other known sources, vehicles with better fuel economy, alternative sources of energy, better decisions by consumers (e.g.: live closer to work, carpool, take a bus, etc.). These and many more are just small pieces in a much larger puzzle.

But the point is, we have to do something, sooner rather than later. Because if we keep doing the same things, the same way, we can expect the same results. Higher and higher spiraling prices.

Kenneth
Explorer
Explorer
THE FACTS ABOUT DRILLING IN ANWR

--quote--
According to the Energy Information Administration's Petroleum Basic Statistics for the year 2007, the United States uses 7,554,601,000 barrels/year of oil. Let's call that 7.55 billion barrels/year. According to the USGS ANWR survey, the absolute best case scenario from the ANWR oil fields --which includes non-federal land (i.e. State and Native areas)-- puts it at 15.96 billion barrels of oil.

In the absolute best case scenario for recovering ANWR oil, it would provide 2.11 years of oil. That "2.11 years" is assuming the Magic Oil Fairyโ„ข comes along and zaps all the oil out of the ground in one fell swoop. Here in the real world, that ain't going to happen. The EIA did a study that was released just this month. In said report, every scenario they run numbers on assumes ANWR oil production beginning in 2018. That makes "ANWR drilling as a solution for current gas prices" even sillier than a federal gas tax holiday.

The EIA study also found that "ANWR oil production is not projected to have a large impact on world oil prices." Why? Because those dang OPEC countries would just lower their output to keep total world production in the supply/demand/futures market sweet spot it's in right now. Oh, those tricky bastiches!

So we have 2.11 years of oil that we can start getting to market in about 10 years. Under the EIA's high-resource-case scenario, ANWR production would peak at 1,450,000 barrels per day in 2028. For perspective, that is 7% of today's daily usage.

What all this jumble of numbers and research points to is that ANWR drilling is not going to help our current gas prices. In fact, it wouldn't help gas prices at all. It will not do anything to relieve us of our dependence on foreign oil for perhaps a decade. Should drilling occur, it could provide as much as 7% of our current daily usage for a very short amount of time. Even while in production, it will not significantly reduce our dependence on oil imports.

If the U.S. Government were to aggressively pursue a policy of higher fuel efficiency standards, energy efficiency, conservation, and alternative fuel sources, don't you think we could come up with something more substantial by 2018? What about 2028? This is the country that went to the moon in under a decade.
--end quote--
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/5/28/10498/2730/680/524102
I'm free of prostate cancer for 5 years now.
All men over age 50 should get an annual PSA blood test. Mine had a low reading, but the yearly jump was significant. The biopsy showed cancer just entering the aggressive stage. Dr. Hackenslash removed it.

ML
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading a thread on another forum about fuel prices. A couple of interesting links:

Alaskans want drilling in ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge), Rep Don Young on ANWR : VIDEO

Arctic National Wildlife Refuge Oil

Suggested Action Item:
Whatever your theory to bring the cost of gas and diesel down let your government officials know now. They are just an e-mail away. No postage, no envelope required just a few minutes of your time. You can make a difference,

Write today:
E-mail your Senators
Senate E-mail Addresses

E-mail your Congressional Representative
Congressional E-mail Addresses
ML

traxtermax
Explorer
Explorer
You mean ethanol?

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
StoneyPgh wrote:
Can't believe it! Gas went from $3.959 to $3.899 today!
What's up with that?
Holiday is over.:B
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

StoneyPgh
Explorer
Explorer
Can't believe it! Gas went from $3.959 to $3.899 today!
What's up with that?
Peter & Nancy --- We never had a bad day camping
'03 Silverado 2500HD LS XC SB 4X4 8.1L/Ally 3.73
Reese Pro Series 15K Kwik Slide Prodigy Controller
'08 Trail Cruiser TC527RL Rear Lounge V-Series 5er

H_1
Explorer
Explorer
Remember the good old days when the Cuyahoga River was burning, the Love Canal kids were starting to be diagnosed with some bad things,the smog in LA was thick enough that you could see thermals that popped the inversion layer (or not see the tops of buildings).

I do.

A certain amount of environmental responsibility (inconvenient word!) goes along with industrialization. How much is up for debate. After 8 years of tilting away from Europe, it's a dead gimme that the next pres is going to swing back a little (or a lot).

One last thought, a little more on topic, is that the simplest way for government to be involved is to institute rationing. Maybe you can get $3 gas, but only 100 gallons a year, for example. After that it's $6. (gotta pay the subsidy, you know). Somehow I don't think this is what people have in mind when clamoring for government intervention, but it's good to be careful what one asks for.

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
Now that is laughable. An environmentalist who will listen to a reasonable stance and be willing to compromise. Where is that one environmentalist located? Heaven maybe?:B
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
Woodie, I don't know the economic mechanism behind it, but low interest rates
always seem to correlate with a weak dollar, which in turn raises the price of imported commodities like oil.

News today is a little better. New data shows that consumption is definitely down - about time! - and oil fell to $129 on that news, $5 less than Friday's high of $135.

Watched a documentary last night about making diesel and jet fuel from coal. The environmentalists are going to fight this tooth and nail - dirty process that takes a lot of cooling water. Not at all eco-friendly. I think there's a good possibility, though, that the greenies will be overriden as prices soar.
Environmentalism is a luxury that only extremely wealthy coutries can afford. Sad but true.

I also learned that sugar cane, which they use in Brazil, is far better than corn to make ethanol - higher sugar content = more alcohol. There's lots of land down here on the Gulf Coast that is presently in pine timber for paper production that could be converted to sugar cane. Grows like a weed around here.

Jack

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
Since oil is currently traded in dollars, anything having an effect on its value definitely has effect on the price of oil in the worldwide market place. So the short answer is YES.
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›

res08hao
Explorer
Explorer
46 Woodie wrote:
I have read all 29 pages and found it all very interesting. I think a lot of responders have some good points. I think one part of this whole issue has not been addressed and I would like anyone to chime in on my thoughts. What is the impact of the Federal Reserve's discount rate in this? There seems to be an inverse relationship of the rise of a cost of crude and the decline of the Fed funds rate. Is the current Fed funds rate at a historical low? I am not on a rant that this problem is being caused by the Federal Reserve. However, it seems the value of the dollar is down, there appears to be cheap money available and no where to put it. The stock market is so-so, high tech stocks and real estate are in the tank. So is the only game in town to put money into oil? Please enlighten me

See today's WSJ, "the Outlook" by Justin Lahert: "..who says such speculative behavior is due to the sharp reduction in interest rates by the Federal Reserve. Low rates encourage commodity stockpiling, he says, by making it less attractive to sell commodities and put the proceeds into bonds and other debt instruments."
over the hill and enjoying the view
diesel pickup and 5th wheel trailer.

46_Woodie
Explorer
Explorer
I have read all 29 pages and found it all very interesting. I think a lot of responders have some good points. I think one part of this whole issue has not been addressed and I would like anyone to chime in on my thoughts. What is the impact of the Federal Reserve's discount rate in this? There seems to be an inverse relationship of the rise of a cost of crude and the decline of the Fed funds rate. Is the current Fed funds rate at a historical low? I am not on a rant that this problem is being caused by the Federal Reserve. However, it seems the value of the dollar is down, there appears to be cheap money available and no where to put it. The stock market is so-so, high tech stocks and real estate are in the tank. So is the only game in town to put money into oil? Please enlighten me
2005 Ford F350 Lariat crew cab SRW 6.0 4WD,Donahue suspension, air bags, bump stops, tow beast, Toyo AT's
1999 Lance 9500 11'3", Trimetric with dual 12 volts
2003 Interstate 6x12 enclosed trailer
2007 KTM 525EXC
1946 CJ 2A