cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

winkyb
Explorer
Explorer
winkyb wrote:
But just think how quite it will be.No airliners over head no SUV~s and big trucks.People out in there garden growing what they eat.The lady down the street making what the neighborhood wears as you can`t go to Wall Mart.Only the sound of a few 50 and 150 CC scooters going buy on the highway.This is not as far fetched as it sounds.If the people keep voting in the nuts we have in the past.And vote in ones that truly are worried about America in place of what a few think it is not that far off.And I am not talking about a president
but the real law makers.

When I typed this I was more or less just ribbing.But this week the airport here is all but shut down,the biggest ford dealer around just started selling motor scooters,One of the best home builders here just call to day wanting to sign a piece of property back over to me that I hold the mortgage on,We were on the Inter coastal water way yesterday and in five hours I could count on my fingers how many boats were out there other than people anchored fishing.Also went by three water front camp grounds that were less than half full two were not even a forth full.Two years ago there was a waiting list for all of them to get in.Also I ride my bike along the main route to the beach and is about like a Sunday morning early where traffic was backup over a mile at the fist light going in to New Smyrna Beach now is like ten at night on a week day in the mornings.

So may not be as far fatch as it sounded.

kudos383
Explorer
Explorer
Well be ready to be shafted more,Oil shot up to new records today.

traxtermax
Explorer
Explorer
I've read several articles suggested in this and similar posts. It comes back to the same questions posted above. My question is not how the market works but is it necessary, especially in its present form.

If I read the book, I'd likely get another "tatical answer" to read another book and still not have my questions addressed.

If wing_zealot's descriptions and examples are accurate, it would seem that knowledgable people could address my questions with reasonable, logical answers.

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
There is a book titled Commodity Investing by Adam Dunsby it is available at Amazon.Com for $37.80. It may even be available thru your local library. It should provide considerable help to those who do not understand commodity trading and who truly wish to learn about it. Enjoy.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
Hurricaner wrote:
No....All the government needs to do is lift the prohibition they have imposed on developing shale oil, and it will start to happen. As usual the gov't ain't the solution, it's the problem.
You folks that think there is some vast government conspiracy to deprive you of your god given right to oil need to get a clue. No one is stopping anyone from getting shale oil. If prices remain over 75 bucks a barrel, it will happen. But no oil company can afford the massive investment and risk it will take to get it without government help.

Sam
There is a push in Congress to prohibit obtaining oil from shale in Colorado. At least that is what a recent vote in a Senate committee voted to do. It may not be a governmental conspiracy to prohibit, it is more like an environmentalist one, and a certain element in Congress is jumping to their tune.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

traxtermax
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
traxtermax

I don't know what to tell you. If you really missed my point, please tell me so I can correct or clarify it. You either don't understand the commodities market I admit that and apparently I'm not going to be enlightened by your expertise.or you are argumentative Sometimes, but that wasn't my intent. Maybe you didnโ€™t notice that several sentences in my post ended with question marks, not periods or exclamation points. Either way, you have already made up your mind No, I havenโ€™t but Iโ€™m beginning to. I thought my questions were logical and sincere and they were based on your explanation of the commodity market. You chose the "definition" and examples. Since you chose to explain it, I thought you had enough knowledge of the market to address my questions/illustrations where the problem is, and nothing I or anyone else says here is going to change what you are convinced is true. And exactly, what would that be? A closed mind can not be changed. Yup, if you canโ€™t answer the questions, blame it on the guy who asked them. So enjoy! I tried to use a little humor to illustrate my point but I guess that was lost too.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
traxtermax

I don't know what to tell you. You either don't understand the commdities market or you are argumentative. Either way, you have already made up your mind where the problem is, and nothing I or anyone else says here is going to change what you are convinced is true. A closed mind can not be changed. So enjoy!

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Prevost82 wrote:
Well hereโ€™s a different angle. Weโ€™ve all heard that the major airlines are grounding planes these last couple of weeks because of the cost of fuel, United 70 planes, Continental 350, Qantas, British Airlines are all doing the same. So with that these plane wonโ€™t be burning fuel, a lot of fuel.

Jet B is very close to diesel fuel, any diesel can run Jet B, so the way I look at it is if the refineries have a shrinking market for Jet B, then they will have to refine it as diesel, so we should see the price of diesel come down (supply & demand), right.

Anyone want to bet that diesel will come down in price. โ€ฆ Iโ€™m betting it will have little difference even thou there are several million gallons of Jet B (diesel) per day not being used. If the price doesnโ€™t drop weโ€™ll know whoโ€™s running the hen-house.

Ron

So by the same token, if diesel drops in price over the next couple of weeks we'll know "who is not running the hen house", correct?

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
No....All the government needs to do is lift the prohibition they have imposed on developing shale oil, and it will start to happen. As usual the gov't ain't the solution, it's the problem.
You folks that think there is some vast government conspiracy to deprive you of your god given right to oil need to get a clue. No one is stopping anyone from getting shale oil. If prices remain over 75 bucks a barrel, it will happen. But no oil company can afford the massive investment and risk it will take to get it without government help.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

Prevost82
Explorer
Explorer
Well hereโ€™s a different angle. Weโ€™ve all heard that the major airlines are grounding planes these last couple of weeks because of the cost of fuel, United 70 planes, Continental 350, Qantas, British Airlines are all doing the same. So with that these plane wonโ€™t be burning fuel, a lot of fuel.

Jet B is very close to diesel fuel, any diesel can run Jet B, so the way I look at it is if the refineries have a shrinking market for Jet B, then they will have to refine it as diesel, so we should see the price of diesel come down (supply & demand), right.

Anyone want to bet that diesel will come down in price. โ€ฆ Iโ€™m betting it will have little difference even thou there are several million gallons of Jet B (diesel) per day not being used. If the price doesnโ€™t drop weโ€™ll know whoโ€™s running the hen-house.

Ron
82 Prevost Marathon XL
2004 conversion
8V92TA 475 hp / 6 speed
8KW diesel generator
F1 DataStorm
2001 FLH Harley
2001 FXR Harley

slowlane
Explorer
Explorer
Hurricaner wrote:
What the government can do is to guaranty the oil companies a minimum price for shale oil, say 75 dollars a barrel. This will get the ball rolling on shale production. Without this guaranty it will be years before they will risk the massive investment necessary.

07 Rev 40E
Happily and guiltlessly maximizing my carbon footprint

traxtermax
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:

I've read some "decent" explanations of commodity trading but still fail to understand them from start to finish as stated here.There are many reasons for buying and selling commodities. Some are farmers that want to insure a good price for thier crop when they actually harvest it (next fall), So the farmer sells his future grain to a broker instead of a co-op or other "non-speculative" organization? some are food producers like General Mills that want to ensure a certain price for the grain they won't even be taking delivery of until next January.Who delivers the commodity? Tom The Trader never possessed any grain and therefore someone else has to store it and make the actual delivery. Why can't General Mills contract directly with the supplier? And everyone in between, who may be merely making a loan to a farmerIf I understand you correctly, the bank would loan a farmer money and use grain as collateral? If so, it would be hard to store the grain in the bank's safe, it would attract more rats and the bank could loose money if the grain price declined. Wouldn't it be easier to accept real property for collateral? and holding grain in return and hoping they get a decent return on their investment. If they are right, all is good, if they are wrong, they lost their money. But whatever, none of those players gets to set the price, they buy and sell at the going price and take their chances just like investing in stock.Sort of like a high stakes cr*pshoot without having to deliver the commodity or even touch it? You have to have a willing buyer and a willing seller or there is no sale. OK, say I'm a willing buyer that makes copper tubing and I want to be assured of a given supply in a given time frame. Why would I go to Tommy The Trader when he doesn't own any copper and can't deliver the product? It would seem more logical to go to the smelter and make a delivery contract with them, as mentioned above. I don't see why a commodity broker would be necessary for this transaction -- they simply don't HAVE what I need much less be able to deliver it. Why is the commodity market "essential" (as some state) and how did commerce conduct itself before the market's appearance?

Edit: fixed two syntax errors

crudeman
Explorer
Explorer
winkyb wrote:
crudeman wrote:

but ya probably saved some on the boat part also! :B

All kidding aside I saved enough to pay for the gas we used today.
$23.70 Plus a gallon to get to the boat ramp so that is still pretty cheap fun for all morning.I know part made in China but so is the one at the Marine store.for all most twice the price.

Oh no, I was dead serious. Save a dollar where you can and use it where you wish to. It helps out.
Steve & Pat
Hannah - Sophie

2006 HR Ambassador PDQ
2010 Silverado

winkyb
Explorer
Explorer
crudeman wrote:

All kidding aside I saved enough to pay for the gas we used today.
$23.70 Plus a gallon to get to the boat ramp so that is still pretty cheap fun for all morning.I know part made in China but so is the one at the Marine store.for all most twice the price.

crudeman
Explorer
Explorer
winkyb wrote:
I rode my bicycle to Wall Mart to get a part for my boat today.Saved enough gas to run the boat thirty seconds maybe. But every little bit helps.

Steve & Pat
Hannah - Sophie

2006 HR Ambassador PDQ
2010 Silverado