cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

One_Country_Boy
Explorer
Explorer
We recently retired and purchased a new 5th wheel and truck. Our trips will be modified due to fuel prices. Maybe shorter trips, with longer stays at the same locations. We will continue to go as long as we can afford to. Not that we want to but, chances are we could not sell our rig for what it's worth anyway. I imagine RV sales is at an all time low at this point.

It's not only our country being affected. I see in the newspaper this morning where commercial truckers in Spain are at a standstill. The greed of a few is affecting the entire world. I don't believe there is a shortage of fuel at this time. I don't see rationing lines. Prices most likely caused by investors and the stock market. What will soon me short is our supply of food. Farmers going bankrupt and trucking companies out of business.

Thanks to the administrator for allowing this forum. I've not read all the post here (yet) but, certainly enjoyed the ideas of others.
Jim - Amateur Radio Call W4EWA
Priscilla - Navigator & Best Friend
Hank (Three year old black & tan Daschund)
Our WebSite
Combo RV'ers and Ham Radio Operators OpenRoadsRadio

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
I think most here can "afford" it - if that means that our retirement assets can handle a few extra thousand in fuel. But for some of us, it's less about money than the principle of the thing. If you can handle, emotionally that is, 150 bucks every morning for a few gallons of $%#@&^ diesel oil, then go for it. It p...s me off to the point that I can't enjoy the trip.

We're all made differently.

Jack

18wheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going camping regardless of diesel prices. I can afford it, so I'm going.

Steve and Lisa
K-9 Zorro
2003 Dodge CTD 4x4 dually
2006 Jayco Jayfeather 25z
1975 BMW r75/6
Honda eu3000is
prodigy

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the thread is dying-out. I guess we've all said just about everything there is to say on the subject. Thanks to RV NET for letting us vent our frustrations.

I really feel sorry for the boomers who are about to retire with big RV plans. We retired in 2003 and were able to travel 100,000 miles with affordable fuel. We saw nearly every corner of the US except the extreme NE and we have no complaints coming.

Jack

ML
Explorer
Explorer
sirdrakejr wrote:
And then there is this:
I have heard this before but this the first I have read about it:
China starts oil drilling!

Frank

Not sure how timely that article is, in the upper right corner it was dated"Updated May 21, 2006"

I Googled China Drilling for oil and came up with this also dated 2006:
www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=19479

Cuba, China Drilling for Oil 50 Miles from Florida Shores
House bill aims to end U.S. moratorium in waters twice as far from shore
Written By: James M. Taylor
Published In: Environment News
Publication Date: August 1, 2006
Publisher: The Heartland Institute
ML

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
Frank:

Holy cow!!

I've never heard of that source, "American Free Press"? Is it objective and reliable or ideologically slanted?

Jack

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
And then there is this:

I have heard this before but this the first I have read about it:

China starts oil drilling!

Frank
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
The Saudi OPEC ministers said today that the current price for crude is NOT called for and should not be that high. He also said that they would be sure there is enough oil flowing to meet market needs. Sure! What else will we hear to assuage the congress here?
Frank
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

crudeman
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like oil lost four bucks today, from the Thursday, Friday spikes so far the only increase I have noticed here in Pigeon Forge, Tn is 8-10 cent increase in gas and a dime on diesel, some was still the same as last week when I got here.
Steve & Pat
Hannah - Sophie

2006 HR Ambassador PDQ
2010 Silverado

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
Ha, Ha!! Probably have to get to $10 a gallon for them to notice. By then the rest of us will be huddled in our hovels trying to exist.

That's not as far-fetched as we might think.

Well, if it is just greed and conspiracy then they will surely stop when we stop buying. The capitalists don't want to break the backs of the peasants. They just want to squeeze them until they start to fight back, at which time they will make adequate adjustments to keep enough money in the people's collective pocket so then can sell
their goods. The history of western civilization reflects that.

I hope it is just greed and conspiracy, because that's something that can be corrected in a variety of ways. I fear, rather, that we truly are using up remaining petroleum reserves at ever-increasing rates - all the international politics and environmental lobbies notwithstanding - and that unpleasant reality is really what's driving prices up in the long term. Those who think we can explore and drill our way "back to the future" are surely kidding themselves - however comforting that thought may be.

Jack

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
Sea Dog:

I was a charter sportfishing boat operator during the summer and a painter in the winter. In my day, we ran mostly 71 series jimmies - my boat was 52' and had twin 6-71's. Those were the later models with the 90 injectors and the "L" head (as I recall), but in my youth, after the Great War, we ran surplus 6-71's out of the thousands of surplus landing craft - which were still in the "cosmoline" (remember that expression?). We changed out the cast iron gear trains and rawwater cooling with keel coolers or, mostly, a fresh water tank and a heat exchanger. I kinda miss the sound of that screaming "Root" blower, but NOT those old planetary gear boxes with the two-foot long shifting levers!.

Those engines were made for one trip, yet, with the changes above we ran them wellm into the eighties. Many of them were rebuilt a dozen times and had hundreds of thousands of hours on them. At 1250 rpm they would run forever - but at our preferred 1750-1800 we'd have to rebuild them every ten years or so.

As a kid, I remember the surplus engines had a manual governor control - it had three settings: "idle", "run" and "battle" and were always kidding around on the radio about heading home at "battle speed".

Thanks for the chance to reminisce a little. Much lighter than the subject at hand.

Take care, my friend.

Jack

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
"It will end when the congress lets us go for our own oil resources. And then if the US investors realize THEY too suffer with us."

Under the current command and control, congress will never do that. :S

People, in all likelihood, it is not for the most part, US investors that are wrecking havoc with the world's energy marketplace. Follow the money. If when they were pumping oil and it gave them billions to invest worldwide with $40 crude, just how much money do you think they have to invest now? Who has the most to gain, and the least to lose with high crude oil prices? Where else are those state owned oil companies going to put their profits? What they have invested worldwide in companies, banks, etc is a drop in the bucket to what they have to invest. It is pure tokenism. The profits of Exxon and other publicly traded oil companies are PEANUTS compared to the profits of the OPEC countries. The oil ministers of certain countries are talking out of both sides of their mouths, and laughing all the way to the bank while doing it.

Most are looking under the wrong proverbial rock.:B
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
sirdrakejr wrote:
It will end when the congress lets us go for our own oil resources. And then if the US investors realize THEY too suffer with us.
Frank

Ha, Ha!!:B Probably have to get to $10 a gallon for them to notice. By then the rest of us will be huddled in our hovels trying to exist. ๐Ÿ˜ž ๐Ÿ˜‰

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
It will end when the congress lets us go for our own oil resources. And then if the US investors realize THEY too suffer with us.
Frank

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
how about $5.00-$5.50 by mid July thats what the news said tonite :E
when will it end.
Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl