cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

7th_Cav
Explorer
Explorer
AO_hitech wrote:
Does anyone still not believe that speculators are the reason for the high price of oil?!?:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12400801/

Wow, so your one of the three people that watch msnbc.
7th Cav
2004 Damon Intruder 350
Workhorse W22
1997 Ford Explorer Toad

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Buying commodities are used to hedge against inflation.

Yes, that would be called speculation.

wing_zealot wrote:
You can call it speculation if prefer, I call it hedging against a weak dollar.

Same thing.

wing_zealot wrote:
Regardless of what you call it, its not going to change your opinion of so called "speculators" or how I hedge against a weak dollar. You ***** about "speculators", I protect my life savings from being eroded by inflation...

Regardless of your reasons, it is still the cause of the high price of oil.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
AO_hitech wrote:
Does anyone still not believe that speculators are the reason for the high price of oil?!?:

didn't you read what you posted, it says it right there -

โ€œWeโ€™re off to the races again,โ€ said Jim Ritterbusch, president of energy consultancy Ritterbusch and Associates in Galena, Ill. โ€œThereโ€™s a renewed scramble for commodities because of a general weakness in the dollar.โ€

"Weakness in the dollar" You can continue to be misinformed, but you should at least understand what you are posting. Buying commodities are used to hedge against inflation. Inflation is caused by a weak dollar. You can call it speculation if prefer, I call it hedging against a weak dollar. Regardless of what you call it, its not going to change your opinion of so called "speculators" or how I hedge against a weak dollar.

Have a good day.

Old_Man_of_the_
Explorer
Explorer
To lwmuddy: Told our kids that we were on the road spending their inheritance! Leaving Tuesday 9/23 and heading north on I65 and just met people coming down that route and said they found no problem....Been in Nashville and the rule is "What happens in Nashville, stays in Nashville", gas or no....lol
Old Man of the Mountain
"The Old Man has fallen and can't get up":W

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer

Fezziwig
Explorer
Explorer
Using high-test instead of regular may not be a good deal. Some people think that hightest will run cooler or improve engine performance, but it may not be so in modern electronically controlled FI engines, which are tuned for the high-velocity flame front of regular but may not handle the retarded flame front of premium properly.

YMMV.

mrjimboalaska
Explorer
Explorer
We are starting to get gas down here in Alabama now, so give it a few days.
It's not the Oil companies gouging, it is the distributors........supply and demand, always comes down to that.

lwmuddy
Explorer
Explorer
Look on the bright side, maybe you'll get better MPG on High Test.:B

Just kidding...:p it's only money you know.

Old_Man_of_the_
Explorer
Explorer
Have arrived in
Nashville and find stations either totally out of gas or no regular, only the higher priced gas. Plan on being here until the 23rd and hope there will be gas so we can head home. anyone from this area know where i can find regular gas at pumps i can reach with a 31 foot class c towing a car?
We were paying 3.49 to 3.55 in south carolina one day and the next it was 4.29..personally i call this ripping off the public.
Old Man of the Mountain
"The Old Man has fallen and can't get up":W

Strawfoot
Explorer
Explorer
Fezziwig wrote:
Oil cos. can call the shots because they are an oligopoly, the next thing to a monopoly. So they can do as they please.

And just imagine, some people believe that oil cos. will DRILL NOW DRILL HERE if we grant them more oil leases! Imagine that: They'd cut their own throats just to glut the US market and supply more oil at lower prices to USA motorists.

Imagine that! Could anything be more hilarious!?

It's the fuzzy facts (or is it Fezzy Facts) of your post that is so hilarious.

Oil companies call the shots? Really? Oil companies want to drill for oil in the ocean off-shore from the U.S., but they can't. They want to drill in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, but can't. Does that sound like they are calling the shots? Does it sound like Congress is rubber stamping their every wish? I don't suppose the oil companies want to pay $40,000,000,000 in taxes (or whatever the total is) to the U.S. government each year. Why don't they just call the shots and refuse to pay taxes? Does it do the oil companies good or bad to have GM go under, or need a bailout to survive? Does it do the oil companies good or bad to have consumers looking for alternative forms of energy to run their homes and cars?

I can just picture their board meetings; "Gentlemen, we need to quit drilling for oil until the American population is driving cars that run on electricity and have their homes heated running on solar and wind energy. Then we can really stick it to them, right? Wait a minute. If we allow fuel to rise to over $4 a gallon, it will be cheaper to operate bio-diesel cars and trucks, electric cars, and fuel cell cars and trucks. Maybe we need to look at this business plan that does little more than lead us to extinction.

It's about as bright as the horse and buggy salesmen withholding his horses or buggy's in order to keep people from shopping for automobiles. Imagine that! Hilarious.
2007 Keystone Cougar 244RLS
520 watts solar, 790 amp-hr @ 12v, 2000 watt Magnum, Winegard Slimline HD, 32" LCD, Onkyo 7-channel surround + sub-woofer, JT Strongarms, 16" HiSpec Wheels, BFG Commercial T/A's, Yamaha EF3000iSEB (propane), Thule T2 Bike Rack

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
johnny_mac wrote:
Why?! Oh why?! We should invent one that runs on air

Some did (kinda):

http://www.theaircar.com/air-cars/air-cars.html

johnny_mac
Explorer
Explorer
Why?! Oh why?! We should invent one that runs on air

DonSmith
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Feziwig. The reason that oil leases are not currently used is very simple. You don't drill for oil that you can sell for $100 a barrel if it costs $110 a barrel to bring it up and ship it out. This is what keeps them from drilling, not the "treehuggers." We've had oil men in the whitehouse and a rubberstamp congress for most of the last 7 years. If the oil companies wanted to drill, nothing would have stopped them. Its the profit margins. As far as I know, the US government does not drill for oil.

In fact, the companies want to make a substantial profit so the cost has to be much less than the likely selling price to justify the effort. The cost of the oil includes the platform, the payroll, insurance, overhead, etc etc and goes along with the risk that you might not find much. The increase price of oil in the market will make oil companies consider drilling where they hadn't previously considered it worthwhile. But these are international companies. They are not US companies. They have no patriotic instincts. They will drill where they get the most profit. Often that is not in US waters, no matter how many leases are granted.

Its just the free market at work here. Buy low, sell high. More leases won't change that. Higher prices at the pump will. Sad but true.
Don Smith
donsmith64@gmail.com

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
In WV they are drilling lots of gas wells but the the trucks doing the testing went through about 8 years ago. from exploration to drilling is a long time. it cost to much to hit a dry hole.

mrjimboalaska
Explorer
Explorer
you beat me to it topflite.....