cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV refrigerator,, repair or replace??

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was wondering when your RV refrigerator, that is less than 10 yrs, old either develops a leak or some other major defect is it better to replace or repair the unit?

what would average repair cost be? I see new ones at like camping world for $1500 in the 8 CuFt range.

If its older than 10 yrs old would replacing make more sense?
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.
14 REPLIES 14

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Our 11 year-old Dometic died two days before we were leaving on a 3 week trip (2013 season). We couldn't get a slot at our local repair shop, so we decided to go with ice. We must have visited every Fred Meyer store between Astoria and Brookings to buy ice!

When we went to our local repair shop, they pointed out that all the other parts of the fridge were also 11 years old. Since a new fridge, installed, was only about $180 more than a cooling unit replacement, we went with a new fridge.

We recently sold the RV, so the new owner gets the benefit!
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
we decided to buy a new fridge in Oct of 2013 instead of having a new cooling back installed. My wife gets pissed every time she opens the fridge door or even if fridge gets mentioned by anybody. Repair yours it will be better than the new models.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
They take a picture window out if one is big enough. If not then they take one of the front windshields out.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Since I usually have hookups I think I would replace mine with a residential style fridge, the type that uses a compressor.If it appeared to be impossible to get the fridge through the door I would no doubt repair the original one. Had a friend who installed one in his trailer. He did such a good job you would swear it was done at the factory.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't know how they would get in a refer in period. I did in my motorhome years ago and needed to remove the passenger door (85 ford E350)the passenger seat and the booth seat of the dinette. Now there is a co. 35 miles from me that would repair it and I would not lift a finger other than write them a check. I know to replace a refer you would have to remove the entry door and then it probably be a real tight fit.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish y'all would include the frige model number as well as the brand.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
stickdog wrote:
I replaced the cooling unit, the fridge 8 years old in good shape other than that. Amish cooling unit was under $600 delivered. If your handy it's a do it yourself job only needed help getting it back in the hole.

I did this on my 86 King of the Road, the new unit was great.

You might give this outfit a call.

RV Cooling Unit
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just replaced the CU on our double door Norcold. $1100. Did it myself.
I would have gone the residential route but you have to take a window out as it won't fit thru the door.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Options are many but I would repair with an Amish Built cooling unit.

Some folks take the opportunity to switch to a residential type fridge,

There are advantages to both options.. And the bottom line is it comes down to your personal preference.

Myself, I like being able to camp off-grid from time to time withot worryign about the batteies dying and the fridge heating up. Thus I would stick with absorption cooling.

On the other hand,, A high effiency all electric is an option too, Both Norcold and Dometic have them as an option.. They draw less than 50 watts when running and door closed.. Some models double that when you open the door and turn on the light.

(a twin 1141 light fixture is 40 watts).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
I'm convinced if my fridge goes out, I will switch to residential. We traded off an rv about 7 years ago because of continual problems with an rv type fridge. They could never get it fixed and cost was many time that of a residential. Seems to me the only people who might have problems with a residential are those who boondock a lot.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
have it rebuilt by the amish guys great work ,less than half of a new one. your geting everything new except the box.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We would repair if reasonable compared to the cost of new. New of what we have is $3,500 or more now. Ours is currently 15 yrs old and we have replaced a circuit board and the thermistor. Total repair cost so far is around $180.00.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I'll comment on the older than 10 years case. Much cheaper to repair. Both the cooling unit and the circuit board are easy do-it-yourself jobs. The refrigerator itself is just an insulated box. As long as you are content with the design, no need to replace.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the cooling unit, the fridge 8 years old in good shape other than that. Amish cooling unit was under $600 delivered. If your handy it's a do it yourself job only needed help getting it back in the hole.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu