cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Service and Repair??????????????

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Am I the only one who is seeing downright bad RV repair/service these days?
My fridge stopped cooling back in June. I called Dometic who gave me a local certified Dometic repair company. He came out, disconnected a wire and said he would be back in a few days to check the fridge. Still waiting for him as of today. In the mean time about 4 weeks later my propane detector went off, I removed it and was told they only last 5 years, the next day my carbon monoxide detector went off and when I opened the door to the MH I smelled the worst smell ever. It appears that my cooling unit leaked out the ammonia. Since that happened I went looking for a shop to repair the fridge. I found one that wanted me to bring the MH in and they would check the fridge, said it would be 60 bucks for a 30 min check. Set the appointment up for 1 Aug and stopped in the day before to confirm the appointment, then the guy says they would need it for 24 hrs to check the fridge and that the labor was 120 phr. I asked about the previous quote and he said I would never say that. Funny thing I wrote it down on his business card. Went home and called and cancelled the appointment.

I drove to several repair facilities to get quotes on a new cooling unit, costs were within a few hundred dollars for the unit and the labor was 4-5 hours. Biggest problem was warranty, all but one was 1 year, then I found one that said the cooling unit would have a 5 year warranty. I decided to go with them, when I stopped in to set it up it turns out the guy that I had talked with was no longer there. They didn't have any info on where he was getting the cooling unit so they said they would look into it and call me. This was a week and a half ago--still waiting. So I went to a Nation wide rv facility and was surprised at the two labor rates--Service @ 145.00 phr and Parts 99.00 phr, weird, huh? Anyway the parts guy took my info for the cooling unit last Thursday and said he would call me with cost and warranty, on Friday or Sat. No call, I called him yesterday and he said he would check it out and call me later, guess what NO CALL. Still waiting today.

So is it just me or has RV service gone to heck in a hand basket?
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
30 REPLIES 30

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most shops do not deal with absorption technology.

free radical wrote:
Why use only RV techs,,wouldnt any reputable shop be able to fix a fridge?

I would call the largest fridge sales and repair in the phone book and ask.or two or three.
most repairmen do house calls dont they so they could come to you.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Have you checked with Charlie's Service in Sunset Utah? They can fix it or replace it.

Charlie's Service

Jim R

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
That smell was probably ammonia. If so, you will need a new unit.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Why use only RV techs,,wouldnt any reputable shop be able to fix a fridge?

I would call the largest fridge sales and repair in the phone book and ask.or two or three.
most repairmen do house calls dont they so they could come to you.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
drive it down to the amish guys ,they.ll do it over night you,ll be there couple days and on your way.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
SGTJOE,

This is one company that offers it. But you have to contact them to get the details:

https://jc-refrigeration.com/products/

Look at option #1

SGTJOE wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I suggest upgrading to a compressor fridge. There is at least one retrofit kit.

Could you provide more info on this?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having massive disappointment over the dealership where I purchased my Montana High Country last September. In the past they were excellent at customer service, as we purchased our previous travel trailer from them. They never disappointed and did what they said at the time they said they would.

Fast forward, they built a new repair facility, expanded, and now seem to have gone down the toilet. With the current camper, I've had nothing but wait, wait, wait on them for everything.

I currently have a small problem with my 5er and it definitely falls under warranty as the camper is not a year old yet. But I'm trying to find the part from another dealer and just bite the bullet on the cost. I don't want to wait, I'll just do the work myself and be done with it.

In comes the second local RV dealership I've been so pleased with. They have been absolutely phenomenal helping me get parts and repair service on my previous campers after warranties all ran out. I stopped in last night after work and talked to them about the part I needed, and said say screw the warranty. They couldn't locate immediately the part I needed, as it looks like I have to by all the attached stuff to it to get the part I need. He was going to research it and give me the best price. I waited all day on that phone call. I called them back on the way home and he said he came into work in the morning, shuffled his paper work in order and then everything tore loose. He didn't have a chance to call or explore my part.

First repair shop has been telling me for almost a year now they are short staffed, missing first one tech, and now the latest story, they are missing 2. Second repair shop said they are just swamped.

It's fat business for the repair and parts departments, hell for the rest of us.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
There is a severe shortage of RV service techs and now is peak season. It isn't surprising that you aren't getting the service you hoped for.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
SGTJOE wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Google Amish made cooling unit.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds about right. Same experience here when I thought I could save time by paying someone to fix things.

As it turns out, it's always significantly faster and cheaper as well as a higher quality repair to learn it and do it yourself.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Regards, Don

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Well heck. If you were in Boise, I'd recommend United RV & Repair. They do all our work and are great!

Thanks, I'm in Utah, I'll check them out.

Tell Trent, I sent you. He does all our maintenance work. This winter we will have a new roof put on and new decals.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It pays to do your homework so you are informed before you get bigger repairs.

Get advice from forums like this or others. Get parts price quotes so you can negotiate with the service entity.

Amish made replacement cooling units are good quality. They might be able to recommend a reliable installer.

I did my own. Itโ€™s not hard. Four hours is a fair labor estimate.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
ReneeG wrote:
Well heck. If you were in Boise, I'd recommend United RV & Repair. They do all our work and are great!

Thanks, I'm in Utah, I'll check them out.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am