cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV sulfur smell

kramer45011
Explorer
Explorer
The campground we stay at has well water and the smell is terrible. The chlorinate it a couple times of year and it is a little better for a short time but it doesn't last long.

Is there anything we can do on our end to eliminate the odor?
16 REPLIES 16

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if your campground would do it but, I know they make a machine that sets on top of the well and automatically adds chlorine tablets at a preset period of time.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
Sounds like the water has high iron content. All the chlorine does is mask the smell. Frankly I'd rather live with the smell than deal with the chlorine. I would suggest a 2 stage filter on the inlet to the RV. One stage a sacrificial particulate filter and the second stage a carbon filter. That should solve the problem. The carbon will remove the chlorine (provided it's actually chlorine and not chloramine - you need catalytic carbon for that).

Something like this:
2 stage filter

If you are drinking the water however, I would opt for an RO. Something small under the sink or a Burkey gravity fed RO.

The smell is generated by bacteria that thrive in iron-rich water. The chlorine kills the bacteria, which can, and usually does, eliminate the smell for a significant time. We have had wells with the problem for almost 35 years, and conventional filters are not useful for the sulfur smell, though they will stop the chlorine taste/smell. We have a green sand tank, followed by carbon for all indoor water and then RO after those for drinking water. We still need to shock the well with a couple of gallons of 12% bleach a couple of times a year to control the odor.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnโ€™t be โ€œpermanentโ€ anywhere with sulfur smelling water.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even in our small Class B we always use bottled water for cooking, coffee and drinking and the CG water for all other uses.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like the water has high iron content. All the chlorine does is mask the smell. Frankly I'd rather live with the smell than deal with the chlorine. I would suggest a 2 stage filter on the inlet to the RV. One stage a sacrificial particulate filter and the second stage a carbon filter. That should solve the problem. The carbon will remove the chlorine (provided it's actually chlorine and not chloramine - you need catalytic carbon for that).

Something like this:
2 stage filter

If you are drinking the water however, I would opt for an RO. Something small under the sink or a Burkey gravity fed RO.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I would first have the water tested to see how much hydrogen sulfide is in the water. If just an amount that causes the stinkies, many filters will do the trick of removing the smell and some HS2. If at a level approaching unhealthy, a more robust system is needed.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Try installing a couple of carbon filters in your water line;
It worked for me when I got the sulpher smell. I get my filters
at Home Depot and change them at the start of every season.
Gerry

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If you are permanent than a R/O filter for drinking water would work well. A Berkey is a great counter top solution for drinking water. For whole house you might check to see if Culligan or some other water filtration company can give you service by the month or install a permanent system that you can service yourself.

Where I live Culligan does more than "soft water" systems. You will have to see what's available where you live.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

kramer45011
Explorer
Explorer
Corvette

I asked this question for any helpful advice not for people to be an ass. We like where we are at.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
You have wheels on your RV for a reason, move on.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

kramer45011
Explorer
Explorer
We are permanent at this park.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Arrive with a full water tank and two or three Jerry cans in the TV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I full timed I stayed 2 weeks in one park 1 or 2 in another. After my wife died a full tank was at least 3 weeks of water.

NOW: one of the parks (always a 2 week stay) used city water and the city over chlorinated.. Made my morning cuppa taste like it was brewed with diluted clorox. Found if I filled the tank..... Chlorine quickly dissipated. (Water supply Chlorine will do that if not pressurized) So I'd fill the tank when I pulled into that park and again when I pulled out to the 1 week park and not even hook up at the 1 week park.. The night he temps hit 11. I was glad to be "not hooked up" I can tell you.

Summers one of the 2 week parks has "Nasty" (Lots of grit) water. .. Now my filter handles it but .. Why clog the filter when I can tank up before leaving the other park and again when I return.

Sulfur.. My Parent's had high sulfur water on their retirement farm... Letting it set helps..

Filters help as well I've been in parks where I could not drink the water without filters.. Even low end filters worked in some of them.

Reverse Osmosis is the filter of last resort. Most expensive. but most effective as well.. Can (depending on how good) produce near pure water.

Resin Distillery can as well
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the reasons we always have full water tank.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT