cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Saw an ad, saw the rig, bought it

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
The DW and I have been talking on and off about a newer rig, the sun has taken it's toll on the Bounder and the fuel consumption is high. We have vacillated between Class A and Class C and back again and decided to go with a Rental resale Class C. I'm 75 and fast approaching 76, I find it difficult to get down to put the ramps under the Bounder and figured another $5000 for levelers and no amenities, I looked on CL and in the nearby listings found a 2002 Winnie Adventurer, 32V w/26000 miles and it had been covered all its life.

We looked at it Sunday and mulled it over on Monday and bought it this morning. I am not sure of the brand but it does have steering dampeners or steer straights or what ever. No wander, no semi wind buffeting and tracks straight and true. Has Banks Power system, new Michelins, flat screens front and rear. surround sound, no dents, nicks or scratches. The carpet does need cleaning but other than that, it's vacation ready. HWH levelers, power/heated mirrors, twin defroster fans and dual glazed windows with no leaks. It has a BlueOx ALADDIN tow bar and Patriot aux brake system.

Paid $30K because I wanted it and there were two other guys out on the street waiting to look, one offered full asking price.

Thanks to everyone here that gave me really good ideas and suggestions. Thanks Guys.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
20 REPLIES 20

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Snowman9000 wrote:
D.E., what MPG did the Bounder get?

For quit awhile we were getting 3.5 to 5 MPG and then I found the problem was a bad quadrajet and a non function Oip Pressure/Fule Pump relay. Now we're get 7.5 to maybe 8.5. Haven't done much since I repaired everything, just one trip up the coast to Lompoc and a trip to Quartzsite. The Q trip was average over 7.5.

That's fine for a gas A. Don't be too disappointed if your new one doesn't do any better than that.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats on the new RV. Enjoy!
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
We recently also recently bought a 33V. Ours is a 2005. The floor plan is working well for us; hope you enjoy it, too. Cleaning the carpet in ours helped, but we likely replace the carpet fairly soon. Have a wonderful time.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats on the new rig! My dad stopped camping way earlier than that because he didn't want to deal with the mechanicals. I tried to talk him into purchasing a nicer rig like the one you got, but he wasn't interested.

I think its awesome that you are still camping, and I hope to still be camping in 40 years myself! Hope the new rig makes your trips easier, and therefore more frequent. As we sit here in Florida enjoying the beautiful weather while the rest of the family is sitting in the snow and cold back home, it validates the decision to buy a camper for me!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
Enjoy! And you are an inspiration...hope I'm still hitting the road when I'm 75! Take care!

Yeah - he *IS* an inspiration!..:C..:C

Hope I'm still hitting the road in October when I turn 75..:W

~

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Snowman9000 wrote:

For quit awhile we were getting 3.5 to 5 MPG and then I found the problem was a bad quadrajet and a non function Oip Pressure/Fule Pump relay. Now we're get 7.5 to maybe 8.5. Haven't done much since I repaired everything, just one trip up the coast to Lompoc and a trip to Quartzsite. The Q trip was average over 7.5.

That change in mileage had to be a welcome improvement for sure! Now let us all hope that the fuel prices we are enjoying these days stick around for awhile.

And enjoy your new rig!
Times fun when you're having flies!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

bpadamson
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy!! I look forward to 75 and hope to have your attitude (you have 10 years on me). btw, I spent my early years in Eagle Rock before my folks moved to the valley.
2013 Ford F250 4X4 6.2gasser--- 4.30 gears, SCT Flash chip, improved tires, airbags; intake and exhaust opened up a bit.
9.5-year-old Forest River 295 WP Toy Hauler
B&W slider hitch

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
We're heading out with the 14 year old grandson for Spring Break. He hasn't really told us where yet but I'm sure it'll be fun. You guys are right, 75 is not old but, sometimes I think 80 is real close and that is middleish old age. I can't wait until we get the kitchen finished and all our stuff in place. This new rig is so quiet, smooth riding and powerful, I may end up doing more than our normal 250 to 300 per day.

Thanks Guys

Congrats. Enjoy your new rig, I'm sure your GS will. ๐Ÿ™‚

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We're heading out with the 14 year old grandson for Spring Break. He hasn't really told us where yet but I'm sure it'll be fun. You guys are right, 75 is not old but, sometimes I think 80 is real close and that is middleish old age. I can't wait until we get the kitchen finished and all our stuff in place. This new rig is so quiet, smooth riding and powerful, I may end up doing more than our normal 250 to 300 per day.

Thanks Guys

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you! I wish you many happy miles and memories in it. ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Nothing wrong with OLD. Now go out and make some fun.