cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scam "Buyers"

dbs944
Explorer
Explorer
I'm selling my Class A - have an ad on RVTrader and the local Craigslist. I am getting a bunch of obvious scam attempts - simple questions, they accept the answers, agree to pay full price and then ask for PAYPAL account info. Once I tell them I have a lien with USAA they disappear.

Is there anywhere to report these or are they just an acceptable nuisance and part of the selling process?

What do they do with the paypal information?
30 REPLIES 30

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:
What would you report them for???

The check is always counterfeit. You deposit it and then take out the $$$ to give the shipper. Shipper arrives you give him the $$$. You are out the $$$ and your vehicle because the check is a forgery. They try to do this within a couple days of you getting the check in the mail.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I have mine up for sale and for the first week the scammers were texting me. Told them that the only way I accept payment is to wire transfer money to my bank. This was the suggestion of my bank. Never heard back from them.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I had a guy on Ebay wanting to buy my Harley real bad...He emailed me and asked if his Dad could look at it as he was in Daytona Beach. He was in Indiana. I said sure, it's at the Harley Dealer in Ocala having a new rear tire put on and looking it over for me.

His dad went, talked to the service manager, looked at the bike. Then his son called me as I was riding the bike home the next day from the shop. He said I don't want to bid and lose it, I want to click the buy it now price!

But he was afraid of a scam. I still had a lien on it at the local Credit Union!
I had the lady at the credit union call him, gave him a number to call back so he would hear the Credit Union answer the phone and asked for her. She handled it all with him, called me back and told me he just clicked the buy it now, and was going to send $500 PayPal for deposit. he wired the money to the Credit Union, hopped on a plane 4 days later. Had to wait to get the title ready. Picked him up at airport, went to Credit Union, signed title over, took him to my house and away he went! very safe for us both, and best way to handle it!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
I've bought and sold all of my RVs on Craigslist. When selling, I post the maximum number of photos allowed (24 on CL). My description of my RVs have been detailed and honest. At the end of the description I add a NOTE: Please, no commercial brokers, etc.

They email me via CL's anonymous address which is then forwarded to my own email address. Usually serious private buyers will email their phone number and ask me to all them, which I do.

We then arrange a place to meet. I never give them my residential address. I usually arrange our meeting in a public / active parking lot... bank, city park, etc.

Usually after meeting a potential buyer, one usually gets a Spidey sense of who they, what they're up to, but, either way, I play it safe as a sort of relief for myself, and it usually relieves the buyer as well.

If they're still interested, I arrange to meet them at my bank where the teller can validate their account and if the amount of purchase is available in their account, etc.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
To avoid scammers altogether, put your rig with a reputable consignment dealer. We've just done that. The dealer charges a flat fee of $595 regardless of the price it sells for and will do necessary minor repairs while on their lot, with quotes ahead of time for approval. He waits until it sells, then deducts the overall cost of repairs from what he sold it for. I have approval power over any offer.

We anticipated getting maybe $20,000 for ours in a private sale. The dealer thinks he can get $6000 more.

We had a scammer show up at the house asking if we were considering selling. I said yes, and he inspected the rig carefully. He then offered $12,500! Not even knowing what the consignment guy thought about it, I told the scammer to get stuffed.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
If you don't want to be bothered by the scammers, don't list a reply email address with your ads, just your phone number. Serious buyers will call you, the flakes and scammers won't. Good luck!

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
dbs944 wrote:
I'm selling my Class A - have an ad on RVTrader and the local Craigslist. I am getting a bunch of obvious scam attempts - simple questions, they accept the answers, agree to pay full price and then ask for PAYPAL account info. Once I tell them I have a lien with USAA they disappear.

Is there anywhere to report these or are they just an acceptable nuisance and part of the selling process?

Selling anything expensive =
Tell buyer you will be happy to....
"Meet me at *my* bank with *your* deposit or purchase money, and you will have the sale or deposit agreement notarized for *their* protection!"
Real buyers = happy. - Bogus buyers = no thanks!

Always use disposable e-mail address - just to keep your normal e-mail un-clutteed.

Always use a voice mail (only) number for phone calls, ask callers
to leave name and number - and you will return their calls.
Bonus = no need to answer calls at dinner time, 6AM or 11PM..;)

Most VM services will accept pretty long outgoing message - so you can include more details about the RV.
Don't bother to return obvious BS calls.

When (if) you return calls - block caller ID on *Your* phone - or they now have your *real* phone number.
Another way to handle that is with a Tracfone (cell phone).
Cheap - toss it when you're done.

Ditto the voice mail number.

BTW - who to report them to????? C'mon, get real !!..:R

~

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
What would you report them for???
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty much figure that anyone responding and agreeing to such a purchase sight unseen is running some type of scam. As far as how here is a pretty good rundown Paypal Scams
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

dbs944
Explorer
Explorer
I'm rather amused at the attempts and play along for a little while.

My question is, does anyone really care and is it worth reporting to authorities? Maybe just not worth the effort to catch and prosecute the scammers - although I believe if they started going to jail, there'd be a lot less of them.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
If you keep going with the scam they will say they are sending a check and adding $3000 or what ever to give to the shipper that is picking up the RV. I usually tell them OK and have the sheriff waiting when the shipper arrives. Happened once with me with a boat I was selling. It is amazing how so many people who wanted to buy it are in the merchant marines out to sea and it is a gift for their father.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
The obvious ones, I just sent back an email that said something like "get a life"....only not as nice.

At the bottom of your CL, put in a disclaimer type of line ....one that tells them you won't accept scams. Look at other CL listings and you'll see what I mean. It stopped all of the scammers for us!!!!!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
dbs944 wrote:

Bunch of thieves. Be careful.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

dbs944
Explorer
Explorer
A 40' motor home isn't something you can ship through the mail, never seeing it again as the paypal payment bounces. There has to be a delivery, signing of the title etc. Are they just wasting time or is there a real threat here?

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
What kind of PAYPAL info are you giving them? All they need is your email addy to send you money....:h.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG