cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scooter/Moped or Electric Bike, Cant Make Up My Mind

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Wanting to get something for fast easy transportation around RV parks and to store, sometimes to the local bar for a cold draft beer.

Moped in some states require a tag and electric bikes seem to not have issues with tags, some electric bikes can be very fast if I spend over $2000.

What do you RVers have and what works best. :@
32 REPLIES 32

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
started to look at their website, saw a couple of $6,000 models. exactly which model is yours?
bumpy

Yes it has pedals, the one I bought is a custom Fat tire bike for $1800, they buy the Mongoose bikes and convert them to electric, the other electric bikes are made from the factory right from the start as electric, they do cost more but look more finished.

They also make electric bike batteries in their shop here in Vegas, that's how I got the 16 amp battery vs the standard 12 amp by most electric bikes you see on Amazon and such.

The motor used on the Fat tire bike is the 48 volt Bafang 30 amp 1000 watt BBSHD, its a blast to drive and at 30 mph its almost to fast for the bike brakes.

If I drive at half speed and some pedaling I should get about 50 miles before charge, full throttle and my range is around 30 miles.

Are you sure your on the right site, I did not see a bike for $6000 on the EMP site.

Here is a bike with same motor but upgraded controller and volts and bike does 50 mph.

https://youtu.be/QFD-BqaU-aQ

No license, tags or insurance needed, just don't get caught by the police. :B

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
started to look at their website, saw a couple of $6,000 models. exactly which model is yours?
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Update on my purchase :

I just bought a 7 speed Fat tire electric bike, 48 volt 1000 watt mid drive with upgraded 16 amp battery, it moves right along at 30 mph.

average 35 mile range, $1800.00 custom made.

does that also have pedals? can't quite make it out.
thanks,
bumpy

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Update on my purchase :

I just bought a 7 speed Fat tire electric bike, 48 volt 1000 watt mid drive with upgraded 16 amp battery, it moves right along at 30 mph.

average 35 mile range, $1800.00 custom made.

SweetWaterSurpr
Explorer
Explorer
I've got an AutoMoto scooter and used it to get all over Florida on our last trip. Rides 2 people up to 55MPH just fine.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest the electric bike. Only because SOME CG's do not allow scooters, but all allow bikes.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
We are enjoying our Pedego e-bikes. 50 miles between charges easily and they have hand throttles.

What HP is your outboard? Nice setup.

30hp Suzuki, fuel injected, 11 foot Rib double hull, 34 mph.

Boat/motor weighs about 650lbs.

Nice setup there. We had the use of a bigger brother of yours a few years ago while doing a Bahama trip on their boat. 50hp.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
We are enjoying our Pedego e-bikes. 50 miles between charges easily and they have hand throttles.

30hp Suzuki, fuel injected, 11 foot Rib double hull, 34 mph.

Boat/motor weighs about 650lbs.

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
The bikes have 5 modes. 1 a standard 7 speed bicycle no assistance. 2. Electric mode it has a twist grip that controls motor no peddling necessary. 3,4 and 5 are assist modes, from minor assistance at a speed of about 9 mph, to max you can't stay up with peddling at about 19 mph, we ride level 2 about 15 mph and it just like riding an exercise bike without any tension set, I can ride all day like this . On large hills I occasionally use high, I weight about 230 lbs., my 110 lbs. wife stays in low or medium.
On assistance it takes a while to come on and continues to assist a while after you quit peddling unless you hit either brake. I am Ok with this but, my wife would like to stop the second she stops peddling. When I test rode the $3500 bike it seemed to do better at this but still some over run. But when folded it was 2โ€ too tall for my basement bays and the battery went dead at about 15 miles.
When I got the first one none of the assist modes worked, I found that the shifter cable was between the sensor and the sensor wheel on the crank, I moved it out of the way, wire tied it and all was good. On the second one I bought there was a loop welded on the frame to hold the cable out of the way. I donโ€™t know if it was an improvement or it just got left off the first one.
The gear derailers both needed adjusting to keep them from over shifting as still hitting all the gears.
5 minutes and a Philips, took kits were included.
The fenders on both need tweaking to keep from rubbing, not much clearance.
All tire needed airing up.
Both brakes needed adjusting
On one of them the horn and light quit after couple months, I haul it in the back on my pick-up so I may a tweaked one of the wires. I havenโ€™t had time to look at that problems. Light and horn not a big deal to me.
On the first one I bent the seat post, I got a new one on warranty (shipping time from China was over two months) and I hammered a 1 1/8โ€ wooden dowel inside the second one and the new post to keep it from happening again. I am 6โ€™2โ€ so I use it set very high. The problem with it being bent is you need to raise and lower it when folding the bike and the bend made that more difficult.
Some assembly, front wheel and fender had to be installed and the rear rack struts installed, peddles installed, same as any crated bicycle.
For the most part they are things that would have been correct during set-up at a dealer, mine were shipped to me direct.
That is all I can remember at this time.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jwolf55 wrote:
We have 2 electric folding bicycles we keep in the basement of our coach, Max speed by law is 20 mph or they have to be licences, We ride our at assisted level 2 easy peddling we can average about 15 mph or about 4:20 per mile. We get a range of about 25-30 miles on a 6 hour charge. I like the fact that they are out of the way and the only time I am messing with them is when we are going to use them.

Note our bikes are the cheapest ones we could find they were under $500 each.
I bought one rode it for 300 miles then bought a second one. They have had minor adjustment and poor assembly problems, still not sorry I didn't go with the $1500-$3500 alternitives.

could you please expand on the adjustment/assembly issues? are they easily solved or require a nuclear scientist?
thanks
bumpy

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer

2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 electric folding bicycles we keep in the basement of our coach, Max speed by law is 20 mph or they have to be licences, We ride our at assisted level 2 easy peddling we can average about 15 mph or about 4:20 per mile. We get a range of about 25-30 miles on a 6 hour charge. I like the fact that they are out of the way and the only time I am messing with them is when we are going to use them.

Note our bikes are the cheapest ones we could find they were under $500 each.
I bought one rode it for 300 miles then bought a second one. They have had minor adjustment and poor assembly problems, still not sorry I didn't go with the $1500-$3500 alternitives.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
In CT the law was written in the 70s and says less then 50CC. and less then so many HP and not to exceed so many MPH. After a few days of bell at the DMV we were told the ruckus has to much HP to qualify for a scooter. Officers on the street don't know that and neither do the local dmv offices.