cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Screened Canopy in Wind

suzmax
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to purchase our first truck camper after selling our 5th wheel that had a screened porch area. Our favorite camping location has lots of mosquitoes, especially in the evening. We also live in a windy state. Are there any recommendations for a quality screened canopy that can withstand some decent wind strength? Rain curtains would also be quite handy, although I know we'd have to adjust those during windy rain! The add a rooms look nice but I don't see those for TC's.

Thanks!
Susan
6 REPLIES 6

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Just an aside:

We will soon begin our 15th year fulltiming. Along the way, we used to workamp managing FS campgrounds. Over a number of years we made a nice piece of change reselling new or nearly new EZ-UP and similar canopies abandoned in dumpsters by thoroughly frustrated campers.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how those will handle wind.

The renaissance faire I set up camp at has winds that can gust to 50-70 miles/hour in February and March. I have seen only a few types of tent setups survive. One of which was putting wood pallets down, screwing down plywood on top, and then anchoring tents onto that.

suzmax
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Check out the shelters from Clam Outdoors. Watch the video of the 45 second setup, it kind of makes every other shelter obsolete.

Oh yes! This is the one for sure...with the extra tie downs and quick set up. Thank you!

suzmax
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
We purchased an EZ-UP 12 X 12 canopy that came with 3 sidewall panels and then we purchased the screen walls and another sidewall to add to it. We use that along with our awning on our 5'er. We have a propane heater that we will put in there when we do winter camping or occasionally to take with us to football games.

We, too, have our favorite camping place, and the skeeters will carry you away in the evening. This has worked well for us and it has stood up well to wind.

That being said, we had previously purchased one that had slanted legs and that one only lasted one season and we could not use a screen with it. Make sure you get a straight leg canopy!!

In addition to having the straight legs, we have also utilized some additional anchors for our canopy when we have stayed at the beach and other windy locations.

Thank you! Yeah, those darn skeeters! And they LOVE me! ๐Ÿ™‚ The feeling is not mutual.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the shelters from Clam Outdoors. Watch the video of the 45 second setup, it kind of makes every other shelter obsolete.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased an EZ-UP 12 X 12 canopy that came with 3 sidewall panels and then we purchased the screen walls and another sidewall to add to it. We use that along with our awning on our 5'er. We have a propane heater that we will put in there when we do winter camping or occasionally to take with us to football games.

We, too, have our favorite camping place, and the skeeters will carry you away in the evening. This has worked well for us and it has stood up well to wind.

That being said, we had previously purchased one that had slanted legs and that one only lasted one season and we could not use a screen with it. Make sure you get a straight leg canopy!!

In addition to having the straight legs, we have also utilized some additional anchors for our canopy when we have stayed at the beach and other windy locations.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW