cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sewer smell from roof vent (UPDATE)

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
If you look at the roof of my trailer the black tank vent is very near the bathroom roof vent (see center Maxair vent and stack vent). Certain weather conditions the smell from the black vent get sucked through the Maxair vent. We generally have both the bathroom and kitchen Maxair open which causes the negative flow at times from the bathroom. I know we could close one or both of the vents but my question is if there is an aftermarket stack vent that will prevent the smell from getting sucked back in the Maxair?

14 REPLIES 14

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, I have replaced both AAVs in my RV, and keep a spare one in the basement. They are cheap enough.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our Winnie we got some horrible odors from the black tank and probably some from the gray tank. I repaired the biggest culprit, the worn flush ball valve seal and installed two new AAV's. They are mini-vents by Studor. Not cheap but work better than those $1.89 Camco things.

We're taking the 16 yo DGD to the beach next week and I'll dump every other day and see if I still get any odors when dumping. I inadvertently opened the flush valve yesterday while the exhaust fan was running, there was almost no odor. I think all the flushing and cleaning I did to the black tank was partly the reason it does not smell very strong.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the Cyclone on both the black & grey tank vents, as at times, the grey can smell nearly as bad as the black.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have replaced both of the air admittance valves under the sinks a couple of times now. You can always tell when one of them is bad as you start getting the odor. Glad you figured out the problem.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Well I was convinced the smell was coming from the black tank vent and then coming back in the bathroom roof vent. After doing everything to eliminate the back flow nothing helped.

I traced the smell down to a defective vent under the kitchen sink. All the smell was coming from the kitchen grey tank. It would be worse with the bathroom roof vent open since it would suck air out the kitchen flapper valve.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
No matter what you do, the black tank vent will still be right beside the bathroom vent. The only real solution I can see is to keep the bathroom vent closed unless its exhaust fan is running.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you thought of opening windows and using the fans to exhaust out.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I would just throw a bottle of blue in the black tank. No smell venting off, no smell when flushing, no smell while dumping.

I can assure you that while chemicals will cut down the odor, there is no such thing as an odor free black tank during use. Fortunately the majority of the time I could also make the claim that mine didn't stink but I bet if you dumped yours at your feet you might sing a different song.:B

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Installed one too.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I would just throw a bottle of blue in the black tank. No smell venting off, no smell when flushing, no smell while dumping.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Thus the reason for the question.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like they put the tank vent too close to the bathroom vent.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed one of these and it solved my problem:

http://www.camco.net/product/cyclone-plumbing-vent-10548/
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC