cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shall I cover my travel trailer during winter time?

mickeyhs
Explorer
Explorer
Cover or no cover?
18 REPLIES 18

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if you shall, but I definitely think you should! ๐Ÿ™‚

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where do you winter? Where I live, I want to be under cover in all seasons, because the threats include ice storms in winter, very large hail and strong winds in spring and autumn, and intense heat and UV exposure for more than half the year. But for me, covered means under cover, not just fabric tossed over it.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I always cover.Tried the commercial covers but they allow water or melted snow through and camper was always dirty when you removed the cover.Plus,they were expensive and only last a few years.For the past 5 years or so I have used a 30 x 20ft plastic tarp and cover with that.I also bought 2 " webing at the hardware store with buckles and run them over the top of trap and under RV.Then tie the ends with rope. The tarps are about $60 and last one or 2 years but when I uncover the unit it is clean.

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
the snow in your pics looks just awful.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I cover over the winter.

I also make sure I tie or bungee EVERY grommet and secure point on the cover. This will help prevent any effects from wind. As far as I can tell my TT has had no negative effects from being covered.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I always stored our popups in my workshop but when we moved to a hybrid I couldn't so the first winter I rented indoor storage. That was costly so I invested in a cover for the following winter and have since used a cover for winter storage on every trailer we've owned after that. I use an ADCO Designer series on our current trailer and wouldn't ever consider not covering the trailer for the winter, not so much to keep it "purty" but to protect the seals and the awning from the constant freeze / melt cycles over the winter. Installed properly, there's no reason at all for a cover to rub or damage the finish of the trailer.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
It may be a pain to cover/uncover each time but worth it in the long run.
We've covered our last 2 TTs and they still look brand new - even though our current on is 10 years old. Never had a leak, paint still shines, roof is clean. We plan in keeping the TT another 5 years - so keeping it in excellent condition is worth it to us.
Gerry
Gerry

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a very sheltered spot for our camper at our previous home, and we covered in the winter. The big advantage: we could leave the vents (which have MaxxAir vent covers) open in the winter, and also left one of the windows cracked open, which minimized condensation and mildew during the months the camper wasn't used.

If you park your camper in a windy spot, however, you may want to consider not using a cover. Not our experience (due to said sheltered spot) but others have mentioned damage to the camper from the cover flapping in the wind and rubbing off the finish. Of course, if you live where you get lots and lots of snow, you would need to make sure to clean off the camper's roof regularly - especially without a cover.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Cover
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of those `hot' topics that raises the blood pressure of some of the responders. For previous posts search this Forum for `rv cover' and read on. You could minimize the results by only searching in the Travel Trailer section.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

SH
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Been covering for ten years and the TT still looks like new. I would absolutely cover it.

x2 Very happy with covering our rig. I wish I would have covered our previous 5th wheels!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Been covering for ten years and the TT still looks like new. I would absolutely cover it.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I cover , now we have a garage for it, covering protects again nature, and your roof won,t leak. look into a metal free standing cover,

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
My reason for thinking about covering is tree crap. No choice but to park under trees. That is my choice of wanting trees in the yard.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized