cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Short Bed 5er Towing

GraySwain
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a small 5th wheel (263 model, 28 feet overall) and will probably be towing it with a short bed truck. I have done some reading that I will need a special hitch to accommodate clearance of the trailer. Opinions? Suggestions on hitches? General advice? Thanks guys and gals.
12 REPLIES 12

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gray, a half ton is going to be light for a fifth wheel. As stated before on here, tires, springs, brakes, and weight of your passengers and stuff will use all the capacity of the truck. Yes, the truck will pull it---for a while. But safely?
Don't forget that the Toyota pulled the Space Shuttle!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gray, I'm not the weight police on here, far from it actually, but these guys do have a point, especially given your inexperience.
My big takeaway was, I beleive you said somewhere the "dry" posted weight of your new camper is 7klbs giver take and you just said your truck is rated to tow 2k more.
Doing the math and knowing pickup trucks perty well tells me you likely don't have a >10klb towing rated half ton. So you have an "average" 1/2 ton with a decent size engine option.
Since your trailer will likely be close to that tow rating all loaded up for a long trip, be especially cautious that you're on the upper end of what the truck is rated for.
Sounds like the truck may not be new or almost new, but icbw.
Either way, D or E load tires like 12V said, rear suspension help and making sure the trans and coolant temps stay in check are pretty necessary for your setup.
Have fun and safe travels!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

theboondork_com
Explorer
Explorer
I tow an Arctic Fox 27 โ€“ 5L fifth wheel with a short bed crew cab GMC three-quarter ton pickup and have been doing so for over five years as a full-timer. And because of the shape of the nose of the fifth wheel and the extended pin box it doesn't hit the cab no matter how tight I turn.

theboondork.com

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
GraySwain wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
And based on the OPs other threads combined with not owning a truck to pull the new camper yet, a HD gasser doesnโ€™t really cost more than a comparable 1/2 ton gasser. Get a HD.

To update, bought a truck. 1/2 ton. Rated to tow 2,000lbs more than the dry weight of the camper. Will be adding tow assist air bags, tunner (to up trans line pressure and monitor temp), and truck has a new built transmission.

Add up the weight of your passengers and the 5th wheel hitch. Take that number and deduct that from your 2000lbs.

Please read the small print for tow ratings!!!!
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
First thing ya better do is dump the soft tires and get a set of quality "E" rated tires!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
1/2 tons are the worst there is for towing a 5th wheel, which puts so much weight in the bed. When you get the truck and trailer loaded up for a trip run it by the scales. I'm curious what your weights are.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

GraySwain
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
And based on the OPs other threads combined with not owning a truck to pull the new camper yet, a HD gasser doesnโ€™t really cost more than a comparable 1/2 ton gasser. Get a HD.

To update, bought a truck. 1/2 ton. Rated to tow 2,000lbs more than the dry weight of the camper. Will be adding tow assist air bags, tunner (to up trans line pressure and monitor temp), and truck has a new built transmission.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Get whatever truck you want. Thereโ€™s a hitch that will work with it and your camper.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just get a longbed and save all the compromises.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Most 5ers now have rounded or contoured front corners reducing the problem of the 5er hitting the cab or back window on tight turns. Turning going forward is no problem. But backing into a tight turn trying to get into a tight site can cause the 5er to hit if you are not very careful. With care, you can get by without a sliding hitch. But if you want peace of mind of not having to remember then a sliding hitch may be in your future.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have been reading, you already know there are lots of opinions on use of standard bed vrs long bed. Some need a slider, some don't. The brand truck makes a difference too, as they have more/less distance from rear axle center, to back of truck cab. It is mostly driver's awareness, same as backing a boat, or utility trailer. They will hit too, when backing short and not paying attention.

Jerry