cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Silence is Deafening

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
We had a big thunderstorm blow through a couple of hours ago. That didn't wake me up at all, but the silence when the power went off did. I got up and turned off both a/c's and laid back down. Approx an hour and a half later I heard my transfer switch "thunk" and then got up and turned the a/c's back on.

And now with a cup in hand and the internet up, Life is back to Normal.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010
11 REPLIES 11

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have some hearing damage to my ears, so if there is no sound, I can hear a ringing in my ears. I need the white noise or I can't sleep through the ringing. At home I have a little fan that I turn on at night. When camping, we just leave the AC fan on all night for the background noise.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
I think I would just leave the air set to run.
Progressive EMS would decide when power was good for at least a full minute before connecting power to the RV.

Actually the delay is approx 2 1/2 minutes after power is restored before the EMS turns you back on. I just don't like having high load items on when this occurs even though the thermostats on each a/c take a few seconds to actually turn the units on. Sometimes you don't have the option to turn them off such as if this had occurred when I was gone.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I think I would just leave the air set to run.
Progressive EMS would decide when power was good for at least a full minute before connecting power to the RV.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love the peace and quiet we get when boondocking, but at public or private sites we turn on a vent fan or AC (when it's hot enough) for the white noise they provide, which for us, effectively mutes the sounds encountered in these overnight scenarios.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sometimes have had the opposite problem. I was convinced for quite some time that the appliances in my house were in cahoots with each other. The furnace would come on when I was trying to get to sleep. After awhile, it would finally shut off (ahhh...peace and quiet...) and then, as if on cue, the fridge compressor would launch into action.

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
No problems in the daytime I'm out doing stuff, but I like my AC at night.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
dwayneb236 wrote:
Isn't it amazing just how quiet it gets with no power?

Problem is it does not usually last long enough. Silence is golden
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't it amazing just how quiet it gets with no power?
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
Life is back to Normal.

Sometimes, a power outage is a gift. ๐Ÿ™‚
X2

"Silence is Golden" still rules in my world. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
can not relate. most anything will wake me up at night.

as for power, I would need to get generator started, or the basement will flood. (sump pump) but since I purchased the bigger generator, no power outages .. ( 4 years now ) ๐Ÿ™‚

Edison must have replaced the extension cord to our little town.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
Life is back to Normal.

Sometimes, a power outage is a gift. ๐Ÿ™‚