cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide awning tension

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a way to adjust the tension on these awning springs? When I retract the slide, it rolls about one round, then I have to start it by hand, and when I do, I can feel the tension on it, but then it will hang again. At first I thought the spring might be broken, but now I don't think so. Would appreciate any insight.
6 REPLIES 6

railtrailers
Explorer
Explorer
I had to deal with a similar problem. My slide out topper would hang up when the slide out was extending causing the slide out to tilt in at the top then "pop" free. It turned out that the anti-billow arm was attached with full length self tapping screws that dragged on the internal shaft hub. Due to many miles on the camper, the center hole of the end caps had worn a groove allowing the roller to be pulled too close to the slide out and the screws to jam. The solution was to remove each screw one at a time and grind the tips down to shorten the screw. I also re-drilled the center hole of the end caps and bushed them down to the correct size.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If it rolls the first time and you can feel the tension, it sounds like something is hanging up. An extra turn on the spring probably won't solve that.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If it rolls the first time and you can feel the tension, it sounds like something is hanging up. An extra turn on the spring probably won't solve that.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

Dick_641
Explorer
Explorer
Go on YouTube an watch video pretty easy

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Take the slide half way out or so, put a nail into the roller stop (usually on right end), remove the tube assy from the brackets, roll up a turn or two, move slide in, then reinstall tube and remove nail. Do again if not enough.

If a real long tube, suggest 2 people to to the tube rolling!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles