cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide question

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
This is the first trailer I have had with slides….We are long term in a spot, just recently went to put the awning out, but too close to a tree. I have about 2ft of room to move the trailer over, should I put the slides all the way in, or is it OK to hook up and move the trailer over with the slides out. I have ran into this problem a few times, after getting the slides out, I find out I could have gone over a little more….I have been tempted to just move it over, but I don't. Any wisdom would be great. Thanks!

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler
10 REPLIES 10

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
Helpful hint: Make yourself a gauge of some sort to measure the distance your slide will extend and use it before you unhook. I have a piece of rope with 2 knots spaced apart the same length of my slide extension.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all...I was going to err on the side of caution, but I have not move over the last three weekends, simply because of the amount of tear down and setup. Now the weather is getting nicer, I need to get off my lazy butt and do it. Thanks for the info guys, especially JJIBIRISH, never thought about the wood template.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't move with slides out unless very level ground and had a spotter. I still think a better idea to put slides in why take a chance to save a few minutes. Where you going anyway? I know on my rig to be close yet clear I need to be 2 steps from pedestal or trees. After I unhook towed I walk back to pedestal take 2 steps and drop my gloves on the ground that's my mark. Always works, lost a couple pair of gloves over the years but can always put out slides and open doors.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have moved mine up or back a couple feet several times with the slides out when I realized my power cord would not reach or the slide would hit the pedastal. But I would not start trying to move it over with them out. Only takes less than a minute to bring all 3 of mine in. And less than another minute to put them out. Not worth the risks.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mark where the trailer wheels are now with a cone, your hat, or an empty cardboard box with rocks in it.

Pull the slides in.

Move the trailer over using the marker to determine how far to move.

Put the slides back out.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
With the slides out, you won't be able to see the back end of your rig when you try to reposition I. Don't be lazy. Pull the slides in. What's it's going to take you, 15 minutes? C'mon man.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I'd never move that far with slides out.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
my guess is you can get away with it, but I would never do it with mine…
the risk of damage isn’t worth what little it takes to do it the right way…

best idea is to learn how far to park from things… you can use a painted stick or yard stick laying on the ground as an aid while backing in to know how close you can be and still open it all the way…
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've seen dealers do some very stupid things with new trailers on the lot so I wouldn't use them as an example. Remember they don't care about latent problems they may cause.
Simply moving it over, I can't see how you could hurt anything but all it takes is a push of a button right? So I'd just be safe and put it in.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dealers move them around the lots with them open

I have moved mine with all three slides open.....once when CG was flooding and moved to higher ground, once when we had to relocate to another spot due to failure of pedestal power and once when one would not retract and site had been reserved (part of a rally).

It's not like you are going to go traveling down the hwy. And the slides are self supporting.
Just remember they are open and you are WIDER
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31