cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small cordless drill/screwdriver rec for stabilizers?

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a very small inexpensive cordless tool to quickly drop scissor jack/stabilizers with a drill socket. It would only be used for this purpose.

I own a 20v DeWalt cordless drill that I dont necessarily want to remember to take with me every time we leave. Plus it's a *bit* heavy.

I like the idea of small pistol grip tool with no hanging battery, but not sure it would be efficient enough.

Does anyone use a cordless screwdriver for this?

Something like this:
with this

40 REPLIES 40

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jack Spratt wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Lubricant makes things worse, it causes road debris to stick in the threads.

Ptfe (dry) lubricant has proven ineffective.

I'm subjected to noisy diesels, get them to quiet down and I'll do the same.

What an attitude

No worse than this:

coolmom42 wrote:
PLEASE DO NOT use an impact drill. They are incredibly loud and annoying and disturb the entire campground. They are complete overkill for a stabilizer jack.

I use, and will continue to use my impact Ryobi. I have 4 stabilizers, I have finished lowering them all in less than 90 seconds.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Ryobi One+ drill. It's not all that compact, but the battery can be used on other Ryobi One+ products that are also handy when camping or RVing, ultimately saving weight and space.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I started with a cheap & nasty lower voltage screwdriver type drill. Wasted my money. Should have bought the Dewalt 20V drill in the first place.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yeah

Here's my new travel trailer. The inside is spacious and the outside really rocks!

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, then I got this for splitting up some firewood at midnight.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Okay got it.

Went and bought this and put a 3/4" socket on it.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
X2 use a impact drill not a reg drill bit drill.

PLEASE DO NOT use an impact drill. They are incredibly loud and annoying and disturb the entire campground. They are complete overkill for a stabilizer jack.

X2, don't be "that guy". Totally unnecessary, I love my impacts but not for camping. I have about 8 18v. drills in my arsenal (between my shop and work trailer) I have a "retired" 18v lithium drill that I keep in my 5er and is more than adequate for the job and more versatile too if your going to keep only one in your trailer. Maybe you can find a quality used one over a new cheap one. Used quality tools are better IMO.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Here in the rust belt, my stabs need an impact wrench to go up or down.

Sorry about the noise. Just think of it as a deleted diesel cranking over a few times.

You might try some lubricant on those jacks, instead of subjected everyone else to your noise.

Yep. Think WD-40, then oil.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

What an attitude
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
We have a motor home with hydraulic levelers but I'll weigh in anyway. I've heard the small impact drivers being used in campgrounds although never really late at night or early in the morning. The few minutes it takes to run them up or down doesn't really bother me. I would much rather hear that than the small diesel truck/tractor in the site next to us. Dual exhaust stacks, one facing our MH, start it up then go back inside for 10 minutes. 10 minutes while I have to listen to it and smell the exhaust fumes. Yea, I'll take the small impact driver any day.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
GordonThree wrote:

Stab jacks come new with grease packed in the threads.
I've used dry film in the past but I don't think it's heavy enough to survive one cycle.
I think the best thing one can do is clean the screw once in a while and slather it with more grease.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what I've observed, you need to get the loudest, most annoying impact drill you can find. And oh, make sure you leave REAL early in the morning and arrive after quiet hours start.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm beemerphile1 and I used to be one of those annoying people using an impact in campgrounds. I'm sorry, I claim ignorance but I reformed a few years ago and only use a silent drill now. Please forgive me for being inconsiderate in the past.

Ryobi 18v drill from Home Depot is now my chosen tool.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I was happily using a cordless Black and Decker drill until after about 3 months, I was raising a stabilizer and AC runoff suddenly dripped and ruined it. Black and Decker sent me a replacement, but while waiting, I got in the habit of using my corded drill. (I bought it during a trip to repair a poorly installed bed brace on my last camper.) To my way of thinking, using my extension cord is not more of an ordeal than remembering to charge a cordless. Anyway, I have the extension cord out for departure anyway for checking and airing up my tires. All that being said, this is all you need.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

skipro
Explorer
Explorer
I got an inexpensive Ryobi 18v drill off Ebay that lives in my camper that does fine.