cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snow Chains Cam Locks

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I test fitted my new cam lock snow chains and they fit perfectly with all cams tightened. The chains seem pretty tight. But I read that you should pull over after a few miles and recheck the chains for tightness. If all the cams are locked I there would be no way to tighten. So should I grab a extra link when attaching and leave a cam lock loose encase I have to tighten down the road?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
3 REPLIES 3

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Decades back I had a tow truck. Had a set of worn drive tires mounted up. Mounted chains on them, because I could jack up and change all 4 tires on the back of truck in less time then getting chains mounted with wheels on truck. Most days the streets would get cleared off, not need chains. Only took a minute to unlatch and drive off them.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Chains likely won't stretch. What happens is rolling the tire lets chains slip on tire, so loosen up. When you find the slack, open the cam, get another link, and lock again.
BTW, if you need to tighten at first check, better stop/check again.

exactly.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chains likely won't stretch. What happens is rolling the tire lets chains slip on tire, so loosen up. When you find the slack, open the cam, get another link, and lock again.
BTW, if you need to tighten at first check, better stop/check again.