cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sorry, another tire question

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Planning ahead to replace tires on tt next season and doing my homework. Seems like Maxxis will be the tire we go with. Our current tires are 225 75r15 D rated, but in checking our wheels it appears they are rated for 2830 lb. tire, this seems to correspond with an E rated tire. Would the upgrade from from a D to an E serve any benefit- better tire? As always, thanks to you all!
13 REPLIES 13

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Look on the back side of your rim for a load rating. My rims have a 2830lb load rating which corresponds to E rated tires, even though the 5'er came with D rated tires. You may be able to put E's on if the load rating is there.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced C rated tires with Maxxis E and ran them 15,000 miles with zero problems.

Replaced D tires on current trailer with E rated Towmax STR's, 2,000 miles and so far no problems.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the wisdom! I guess we will be going with the D rated Maxxis at this point.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The benefits of a E tire over a 65 psi D tire comes at 80 psi. Many 15" rims are not rated for 80 psi so as long as your OEM D tire has some reserve capacity it will serve you better in the long run.
Trailers can be easily over tired unlike a truck so bigger tires on a trailer isn't always better......... past a certain point.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Doubt you'll notice any difference other than an infinitesimal decrease in fuel mileage (no you won't be able to notice that). As long as your D rated tires have sufficient load carrying ability to handle your axle rating you gain nothing in going larger.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
If some is good and more is better, then too much should be just enough. JMHO
charles weidman

John_McClain
Explorer
Explorer
The E is a better tire, the side wall is stronger LT tire side walls have more side to side play and a higher RR than the trailer tires.

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
You will be much better off with the E tire. Stronger sidewall for one. I would look at a quality LT tire.

Wouldn't we need to upgrade rims (Dexstar 15x6 jj) to use LT tires?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My Maxxis have served me so well that I will not look further. I'v even abused them with higher speeds (70) and no problems.
I feel like if you already have tons of capacity then you don't need anything else.
JMHO - YMMV!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will be much better off with the E tire. Stronger sidewall for one. I would look at a quality LT tire.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks ScottG, don't really need the extra weight rating but me being new to this figure more is always better! I think the D's are 8 ply and the E's are 10 ply, not sure if that's even meaningful.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Only if you need the extra margin. Myself, I have about 1000# excess capacity per tire with the D's so I didn't bother with E's. (I have 2 tons of CCC)
Maxxis rocks though - lots of tire problems before and none since getting them.