cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stay and Play VS Unified Tow Brake System

campingfig
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there my fellow RVers! I have a decision to make...or rather it was made for me.

For years I have used the UTB system to tow my Honda CRV. LOVED it. A year ago I purchased a new 2019 Chevy Equinox - I had the UTB car parts switched and installed into my Chevy.

Problem: the solenoid pump in my CRV went bad and I learned that UTB is out of business. I have checked MUTIPLE resources to find a replacement solenoid for my system...and it doesn't exist out there, or I would just replace the solenoid and move on. Well...now my UTB is obsolete and I am looking for a new alternative. Was told about Stay and Play and that is only needs to be installed into the tow car...?

I have a 2 part question. Does ANYONE know if a new solenoid is available that I haven't found yet? Although I have no hope.

Stay and Play: Anyone have experience with this system? How does it work for you and are you happy with it? I like the ability with the UTB to control the brakes independently on my tow car (down hills, fish-tailing,e tc) But I understand the Stay and Play can't be controlled form the cab of your motorhome but works on inertia and is pretty accurate and dependable??

Any insight, experience and advice anyone can share with me...pros and cons? thank you..
2018 Winnie Vista
2007 Honda CRV NAVI/AWD
Blue Ox
9 REPLIES 9

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Stay & Play installed in my 2015 Cadillac SRX and have had zero issues with it in about 18,000 miles of towing behind 3 different RV's. Easy to turn on and forget about it once you set it up.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

campingfig
Explorer
Explorer
called NSA. And the parts aren't compatible with UTB ๐Ÿ˜ž
2018 Winnie Vista
2007 Honda CRV NAVI/AWD
Blue Ox

campingfig
Explorer
Explorer
that one on Ebay is excactly the one though....so tempting...crossingfingers may Xaview can find one?? I have had multiple of service centers try and find one. *sigh*
2018 Winnie Vista
2007 Honda CRV NAVI/AWD
Blue Ox

campingfig
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub...thanks for the heads up in the Smartbrake. I just called them and their system doesn't use a Solenoid like the UTB uses so they aren't compatible however, he was nice and is going to call and see if he can find that part anywhere.

Regarding the used one on Ebay...I saw that last year and have searched and found only 2 used ones...but its risky because I don't know its true condition (honesty of seller as well) or lifespan and then pay for the old removal, install, etc only to find its condition may not be good or any better than the one I already have. I am not a mechanic so I have to pay for old removal and install of new one and knowing its new it a better piece of mind.
2018 Winnie Vista
2007 Honda CRV NAVI/AWD
Blue Ox

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a used solenoid.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a used solenoid off ebay. You could also check with the original designer who now has a product called Smartbrake. Smartbrake is really an updated version of what you have and it's possible they used the same solenoid in it. Smartbrake is being marketed by NSA Ready Brake folks.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have the stay and play, no problems with it, self installed. Ran a wire through the connection plug up to the MH dash that lights up when the toad brakes are applied. Would recommend it.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Is there and labeling on the old solenoid? If you can tell us what it says, or post a picture we might be able to help find a replacement.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine