cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sterling towbar lock malfunction?

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever had a Roadmaster Sterling towbar unlock itself and then relock while you were on the road?

We have a Sterling towbar that we have used for the past 7 years without any issues. Today, after going around a series of tight turns and very hilly terrain, I heard some loud clunks and felt a couple of hard jolts while braking and going forward. In my back-up camera it appeared as though the tow bar arms were not of equal length for a few seconds, but it was not a clear image. When I stopped, everything appeared normal. Has anyone had their towbar release and re-lock itself? I don't know what else the problem could have been. Everything appears normal now.
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy
3 REPLIES 3

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
My Sterling works much better after oiling and greasing everything. Tow bars are in back where they pick up lots of dirt and moisture.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
travelzoo wrote:
Yes I did, I called Roadmaster and they sent me a rebuild kit free.

That must have been several years ago. When I tried to get parts for our 2006 Sterling (predecessor to the Sterling All Terrain) in 2013 I had to give them the serial number. It seems even at that time they only had parts for the last generation which happened to be ours. We were told back then when the current parts supply was exhausted they would be considered obsolete and no longer supported.

Keep in mind the newest Sterling is now almost 10 years old.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

travelzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I did, I called Roadmaster and they sent me a rebuild kit free.