cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strange water pressure issue

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone. Overall water is fine, just the pressure is strange.

This didn't happen the first few trips. The last 2 campgrounds we are at this happens. When you turn on the water, it's good pressure, then over 10 seconds or so, the pressure drops to about half what it starts at and stays steady.

I have done the following

- 2 different pressure regulators
- removed filters from the line (helped slightly)
- tested all outlets in the rig, they all do this
- checked the city water inlet screen to see if it's gunked up
- when i run the pump from fresh water tank, this doesn't happen

any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
I had the regulator with the gauge for a bit, it broke and the only thing available was the cheap inline flow restrictor, using that now. I took that off though to test and the CG water didn't lose pressure after running it for a bit at the bib.

I just talked to my neighbor about this, and he said he has the same issue. The CG I'm at runs at about 50psi apparently, so I guess this makes sense.

The last CG though this happened as well and that was running way higher pressure. Not sure what's going on.

This rig is a 2021 I just got about 6 months ago, so shouldn't be too much junk built up in the lines.

I just filled the fresh water tank and will run off that. Thanks for all the replies, I always learn things here.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Behaves like the water is not turned on full or a cheap regulator acting as a restrictor! Never experienced a clog at the valve.They come off pretty easy but with an empty tank. Junk from the mfg,I don't thinkso because it is all your faucets? Do you use a filter? I would talk with a Mobile Tech. They have more Customers and experience usually. They don't work full time or at all at dealers because they can make over a quarter million a year at RVing destinations and several parks in an area.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is there is sediment somewhere in the lines. The reason the flow decreases over time is the sediment is being dislodged when you drive as well as the fact that when the sediment dries it does not pack as tightly as it does when it becomes wet. Step one would be removing and cleaning all the screens on the faucets and running them wide open for a few minutes.
But there may also be screens on the lines at the water pump and maybe even obstructions where the lines are branched and connected. If you can't get to all of them, try attaching a hose to a faucet and back flush the system.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Do you have pressure 'regulators' or those 'flow restrictors'??

Where you you have them ...
At hose bibb, at connection on RV etc?
Only using one not both correct?

As suggested......
How is pressure/flow thru end of hose With and W/O those water devices ??

they are actually pressure regulators but they are junk. Just testing them on a hose will not prove anything, they might flow well under that condition.

i believe the suggestion is to remove the regulators and see if your pressure problem is resolved. if so you have your solution.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a back flow preventer in the CG inlet port in the RV? It could be clogged or just plain stuck. Replace the plastic ones with a metal one.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK. if there is something restricting the flow. Be it one of the cheap Pressure Regulators (That Valterra up-thread with the pressure gauge I am told is good but I've never tested it.. more later) like the 3/4" about cylinder types even if they are called "HIGH FLOW" or some other restriction like a partially clogged inlet screen or valve.. Then there is an "Air Cushion" in the water heater.

When water is OFF. the pressure in everything goes up to around 50 PSI. then when you first turn on the water the HOT tank can discharge back into the cold line. Normally not enough hot gets into the cold line for you to notice. But as the pressure in the HOT tank goes down... The flow slows since not enough water is entering the RV.

Now.. this should only happen on city water. not on "Tanked" water

What I did.. originally I used a WATTS 3/4" in-line regulator till it aged out then a ZURIN, also 3/4 inch (1/2 should do it but believe it or not would have cost more at least the ZURIN I put a gauge after the regulator and Turned on a major water sucker.

Cheap ones.. Watch the pressure go down
Cheap HIGH FLOW. Watch the pressure go down
Aged out Watts (I could not find a rebuild kit) Watch the pressure go down
Brand new Zurin.... Watched the needle sit there on 50 like it was glued.

Later. For other reasons.. I stopped worrying about pressure regulation on the city side. Filled the 80 gallon on board and pumped it out for everything. That worked great. and Solved a rare other issue (over chlorination of city water)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dedmiston
Old-Biscuit wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Is it only happening at this one camp, or has it been happening at other stops too?

OP stated:
This didn't happen the first few trips. The last 2 campgrounds we are at this happens.

Yeah. That just seemed so strange to me. Not sure if I was misreading it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:
Is it only happening at this one camp, or has it been happening at other stops too?

OP stated:
This didn't happen the first few trips. The last 2 campgrounds we are at this happens.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dedmiston

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fluctuating campground water pressure is my primary reason for filing the freshwater tank and using the pump.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

As suggested......

Restrictor......junk/erratic

Regulator....more consistent control

They are actually pressure regulators but they are junk. Just testing them on a hose will not prove anything, they might flow well under that condition.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

As suggested......

Restrictor......junk/erratic

Regulator....more consistent control
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Since the pump maintains good pressure, I would suspect the CG water supply. It may be pressure building in their line, which you are releasing, after a short period of running water.

You could try disconnecting your hose at the bib, wait a bit, turn water on, check if pressure drops right there at the source, after 10 seconds or so.

Jerry