cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer Trip - Need Advice

swimgreg
Explorer
Explorer
Our family is taking a summer trip from Houston, to Santa Barbara, to San Francisco, then back to Houston. We will be on the road for about 6 weeks in a 1963 Shasta Astrodome we are restoring.

We have a CARB honda generator, and plan on boondocking most of the trip. We are very experienced doing this type of trip heading east, but this will be our first time going west.

I am looking for any advice, tips, hints, tricks....so on about the trip.

Thanks!
Greg
Greg, Jen and Erin (7)
2007 F250 FX4 Lariat
1963 Shasta Astrodome
2007 Forest River Cherokee 32B - Camping RV
2008 Hy-Line 42' Park Model - Full Time RV
4 REPLIES 4

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some older posts: San Francisco to Los Angles Area and Half Moon Bay & San Francisco & BART which can be found in this old post: :C Clicky

We enjoyed the sights & sites along the 101. If you haven't gone to see "Hearst Castle". "Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument" is a must see. And San Simeon State Park is just south of the Monument.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey is really great. North of Monterey at Moss Landing is a great sea food place over by the docks, called Phil's Fish Market & Eatery.

Santa Barbara is a neat area to see. We used Carppinteria State Park as a base to see the area.

For viewing the Pacific Coast via the highway, Northbound is better (do not have to cross traffic to pull off at sites, or recross getting back on). But we have done it both ways, northbound & southbound.

Sights & Sites I-10 South & I-40 North AZ & NM & I-10 in Texas.

Here's a link (someone going from Houston to Los Angles: My info is the same, but it has other Comments & Suggestions.

Some Really neat things in AZ & NM, IMHO. But most are off the Interstates somewhat, not all. Same in Texas.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Bypassing San Diego? Nice zoo.
We stayed overnight on the Queen Mary in Long Beach. The luxurious way to cross the oceans before TWA.
Take a look at the itinerary at www.caravan.com for their California Coast Wine Country and Yosemite tour for some more ideas.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
This posting may get better answers in "Roads and Routes"

Santa Barbara and SF are high dollar areas.
Between the two are Hearst Castle, Pismo Beach, Lopez lake, Ventana\Big Sur, SLO, Arroyo Grande, Morro Bay, Atascadero, Los Osos etc...
Those places are worth the stop.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You won't find many, if any, boondocking places in Santa Barbara or San Francisco. You might prepare to fork over some cash for a campsite and they're not cheap in these areas. Otherwise, you have some long drives to and from. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel