cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Superglide Hitch / Capture Plate Question

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Can you temporarily use the Superglide slider hitch to tow a 5er without the capture plate installed on the pin box? Would only be needed to tow a 5er about 50 miles.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
17 REPLIES 17

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Yes, I know the slide feature would not work without the capture plate but we don't need that. Our son in law has a Superglide and of course a capture plate, but from what I recall, there are different ones for different pin boxes so I don't know if his would fit.

Reason I'm even asking is because we're gonna buy a 5er soon but I probably won't have my hitch installed by then. My son in law pulls a 40 ft 5er with his CTD Dually and could tow our new purchase to our house. He has a capture plate but I don't know if it would fit our future purchase.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Unless they have changed the design in the last 10 years I don't think it would be a problem. Without a capture plate it will not slide back so you would have to be very careful if backing at a sharp angle.

On the newer models the plate is very easy to remove and replace so if one is handy just use it, if not just be careful backing.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
No. It's very dangerous. You would be best to borrow a capture plate and use it for the short pull -- they are easily removed and re-attached.