cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgater question

boje
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if anyone travels with the Tailgater mounted to the ladder. Just purchased a ladder mount on Amazon, and feel it would be rather hard to take it off/on when traveling. Had to use another ladder to assist with the mount at the top of the ladder on the fifth wheel.
2008 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 D/A
2015 Montana 3160RL
2018 Sportsmen Classic 180QB
7 REPLIES 7

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
The Tailgater is portable and see no reason to mount it to a ladder or roof.

If one wants a more permanent installation buy the Dish designed for that.

We upgraded to the Pathway X2, another portable, and the reason for the portable is that we camp in many places where there is a tight window for seeing the 'birds' but are chances are much better than having the dish mounted on the roof or on a ladder.

Maybe some think of security but have never heard of someone walking off with any portable especially if you take steps to deter that possibility.

Since the Tailgater is portable why limit yourself to one method of using the device? Much easier to mount it on the ladder when view of the birds is unblocked instead of putting it out somewhere where you need to reset it after someone trips over the cable. Also a bit more difficult for it to walk away when you're away from the campsite as there is a place for a cable to secure it to the ladder.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
The Tailgater is portable and see no reason to mount it to a ladder or roof.

If one wants a more permanent installation buy the Dish designed for that.

We upgraded to the Pathway X2, another portable, and the reason for the portable is that we camp in many places where there is a tight window for seeing the 'birds' but are chances are much better than having the dish mounted on the roof or on a ladder.

Maybe some think of security but have never heard of someone walking off with any portable especially if you take steps to deter that possibility.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
We carry ours in the basement storage area of our 5th wheel. Made a ladder mount by using an eave home mount with the bent arm (1 1/8" EMT tube). Drilled out the base plate to allow two U-Bolts (size 1/8" X 1 1/8"). Allows you to mount the Tailgater high or low on the ladder. I also carry a tripod mount that I use when I have to set it up away from the trailer.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
One of the major advantages of the tailgator is that you can locate it anywhere your cable will reach. Attaching it to the RV negates this. If you wish to only store it there, I would think the security issue and exposure to road debris would make that unattractive. We store ours inside our B.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Having seen the inside of the Tailgater, don't want mine shaking around up there. That and the fact we typically park in the trees probably would have to take it off more than leave it on anyway.

If you have a towable RV, then it probably will shake up there, or more correctly it will be bouncing up and down a fair bit. If you have a MH, the ladder does not move any more than the rest of the coach.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
You would need some way to rotate it. The handle needs to be pointing northerly.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Having seen the inside of the Tailgater, don't want mine shaking around up there. That and the fact we typically park in the trees probably would have to take it off more than leave it on anyway.