Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking A Long(ish) Trip

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Taking A Long(ish) Trip

Although I have read oodles of rv.net posts over the past years, I can’t recall ever having read much about readying yourself for a long road trip. My husband, youngest daughter, and I have taken a few three week trips, but due to job/time constraints, I super planned these vacations. And, we always stuck to the plan.

And then….we retired. And, since our youngest daughter is still living at home and could thus, “run the show” (fingers crossed), we decided to plan a trip. Out West. Thinking to be on the road for eight to twelve weeks. Go us!!!!!

Now that we are almost home, I thought it might be advantageous for some future travelers to post the lessons I learned, while both planning and traveling, thinking others could chime in and add their own “trip tips.”

Prelude : we left the East coast July 21, 2018. We headed out West. Traveling through, to name a few states-South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Oklahoma, Ohio, and finally, back home. I had reservations for Custer State Park, Glacier, Olympic, Crater Lake, Redwoods, and Yosemite, as well as a few rv parks between Redwoods and Yosemite. Also, a few rental cars thrown in, since we don’t tow. In addition, I spent quite a bit of pre-trip time creating a “trip planner.” Okay, a fancy name for writing stuff down in a notebook. In the planner I broke the trip into segments, such as #1-home to Custer, #2-Custer to Glacier. Within each section I estimated how long we would travel in one day, and the names, addresses, costs, and phone numbers of two or three possible campgrounds we could stay at each evening. We did not have a specific budget.

We were ready.

Lesson one : traveling is not cheap. The cost of gas is a killer. Prices are all over the places. What we discovered-Costco and Safeway (a grocery store that, in many states, sold gas) had the best prices for gas. You need a Costco membership to pump Costco gas, but anyone can use Safeway. I also downloaded Gas Buddy, an app that was a bit of a help locating cheaper gas prices.

Lesson two : get a vpn (virtual protection network that encrypts your computer info so no one can hack into your computer). About a month before our trip, I researched vpns and bought protection for three years (cheapest way to go, for about $3.50 a month). The stay-at- home, hopefully responsible daughter, texted when a bill arrived, and I paid on-line. Easy peasy.

Lesson three: have a cell phone with a gps app, and two different maps (we had maps from AAA and a RandMcNally book of maps, and at times, one had info the other did not). We also had the book, Next Exit.

Lesson four : rvpark reviews is your friend.

Lesson five : know the cancellation policies of the campground and car rental agencies you reserve. Two weeks into our trip we decided to cancel, due to the massive fires, our Yosemite reservations and shorten our reservation at Redwoods. This then led to a flurry of calls to cancel/reschedule campgrounds and car rentals. We were lucky. Most places didn’t charge us a cancellation fee. And, although I reserved the state and national parks because they fill up quickly, don’t overdue the reservations for run of the mill, overnight stops. Because plans can change. And, not saying we weren’t a bit lucky, but we never had a problem getting a site for the night.

Lesson six : if you are like us, and one partner (in our case, my husband) does all of the driving, then know his/her daily limitations. And, keep in mind, you tend to travel more slowly in an rv than in a car. Consider that when looking at Mapquest. Plus, take a few days throughout the trip and relax. Sleep in, clean up, take a walk.

Lesson seven : plan on time for stopping at grocery stores. When you go into a grocery store, sign up for their rewards card (it takes all of sixty seconds), so that you can take advantage of their sales. If you’re up to it, cook and freeze a few meals before you leave home.

Lesson eight : if the cost of the trip is at all in issue, estimate travel costs before you go. And, try to think about your lifestyle when considering campgrounds-do you want cable tv, wifi, do you feel okay staying at a Walmart parking lot for an overnight? What about a laundry for washing your clothes?

Lesson nine: if you are traveling with another person, make sure you like him/her enough to travel with. After a long day of driving, hiking, etc watch what you say and how you say it. Bring wine. Be kind.

Lesson ten : if you get bothered by constantly dirty windshields and a dirty rv front, bring a bucket, car wash soap, a rag and a towel, glass cleaner, a short ladder, and a long handle squeegee type thing to wash your rv.

Lesson eleven : before you go, make sure your rv is serviced and ready to go

Our trip is wrapping up after five weeks on the road. The ten to twelve weeks didn’t materialize. A few cancellations, a few shortening of trips thrown in, with a touch of “starting to miss home.” No problem. We are retired and can always do more later.

We had a fabulous time.
Kathy
23 REPLIES 23

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles, I understand what you mean by saving 5 cents on a gallon of gas, but we found several Costcos and Safeways that had us saving between 35 and 50 cents a gallon. So, we went for it. Easy to do, too. Just googled, "nearest Costco or Safeway."
Kathy

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Cruising Spud, thanks so much for sharing your experiences and tips! We are looking to go out West next spring, before the summer heat and school's out. So far it's just research and deciding all the things we want to see. My sisters still live in Washington State so that's also a good chance to show off our camper finally.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We do long distance travel also. Just about every year we have done a few months on the road and we usually play it by ear. I never make reservations before hand but call ahead the morning before or check on line when we are ready to move on. It just makes life so much easier. We have no issue with dry camping or boondocking so we have more places to stay than those who require electricity, I don't recommend WalMart or parking lots either. Not my idea of camping.
We try to stay under 200 miles on our travel day so we can leave late and arrive early.
Our first choice are public campgrounds, Military National, State or County but on occasion we will will stay at a private one to do laundry.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Don't make reservations
If you look for a gas station that can save you 5¢ a gallon and you get 10 MPG, you will save 50¢ every 100 miles or $5.00 every 1000 miles. I don't spend a lot of time looking for cheaper station.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Glacier, left, and two weeks later read about the fires. The West is certainly dry right now. Glad we had a chance to visit when we did.
Kathy

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We're currently in the middle of a 10 week trip that started out as an epic cross country journey on US 2 - TR NP, Glacier, Grand Coulee Dam and Puget Sound. After seeing the campgrounds at Glacier getting evacuated, we're planning on turning around at TR NP and doing Badlands instead. It's good to be flexible.

For that reason, we don't reserve out many weeks in advance. I'm here now, know where I'm going next and am looking for the spot after that.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
you can eliminate the worry of the stay-at-home-hopefully-responsible-daughter by converting all of your usual monthly bills (mortgage, utilities, etc. to auto-debit from your checking account. you'll get a monthly e-mail 10-15 days in advance letting you know the bill amount and the date that amount will be withdrawn from your checking account. create an online account for other routine bills (cable, satellite, credit cards, insurance, etc.) and turn on electronic bill service. no more paper bills and pay online thru your checking account. we pay virtually all of our bills online with only 1 or 2 that haven't yet joined the 20th, never mind the 21st, century.

for mail...the post office will only hold mail for 30-days (some in small towns may hold longer) so have mail forwarded to a service that will hold and forward to you as needed or desired. some UPS stores will do this although we've had spotty results with them. this winter we'll likely be using America's Mail Box in South Dakota. They, and others, have a service whereby you can log into your account and see an image of the envelopes they have received allowing you to tell them to forward, hold or destroy that particular piece of mail. the post office has a similar service called Informed Daily Digest. you create an online account with USPS, sign up for IDD and then receive an e-mail each day containing images of whatever envelopes are being delivered that day. we use IDD to see what the post office forwarded to whomever is holding our mail.

and since I'm the only driver we limit our daily driving to ~ 4-hrs. with stops for lunch and Maggie the Wonder Beagle that translates into a 5-6 hour day. ideally we like to be on the road by 10 and set up for the night by 3. after a couple of those 1-day drives we'll stay in a park for 1-3 additional days...we ain't in no hurry.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drive in the area of 300 miles a day little over 6 hrs, on the road by 9:00am off by 3:00pm start looking for campgrounds up the road after lunch. If no days off for sight seeing after driving 3 or more days. Take a day off to kick back do a few loads of laundry, shopping, etc. My wife has a rule if not in a campground by 5:00pm when we do get parked we go out for dinner or stop for dinner before getting to the campground.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure you really need the vpn, but if you're relying on CG wifi, maybe so. Internet via your own phone is pretty safe, although you didn't say anything about that.

Reservations just add to my driving stress. Turns the trip into sort of a job.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman