cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tandem Tow & Electric Brakes on 2nd Trailer?

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have experience towing tandem and using electric trailer brakes on the 2nd trailer?

My usual haul is my 32' fifthwheel followed by my 21' boat. My boat currently has surge brakes with discs on both axles. I'm having trouble with the brakes on the boat trailer and am considering going to electric, but I want to make sure it will work properly. I've spoken with a couple of folks that say no problem, and a couple that say that it will negatively effect both the 5er brakes as well as the boat trailer brakes. And, just to get it out of the way, I am happy with the integrated trailer brake controller on my RAM and I am not interested in changing from it.

What say the experts here?

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum size.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
16 REPLIES 16

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
There really isn't anyplace to grease the tongue on the trailer.

I was also worried about the actuator sticking, but it didn't seem to be doing so.

With the research I did, I couldn't convince myself to pull the trigger and switch from hydraulic to electric. So, I now have 4 new hubs and rotors, 8 new calipers, 4 new disc brake pads, and new bearings.

I usually say that BOAT means Best Of All Times, but today it was the old addage of Break Out Another Thousand (almost exactly).

If you did all that, why not change out the tongue parts too? That is more than likely where your problem is coming from.

The tongue tested to be working fine. Getting ready to leave on a 500 mile one way trip, so that will be a good test.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will have more problems with electric brakes if you back into the water. Id find the problem with the surge system and get it fixed. It should work fine.

Dont think you can use 1 controller for 2 sets of brakes - they may take different settings. And that would be like having a controller for 8 brakes which some wont handle.

Here is some brake controller information - includes a little info on Hydraulic Brake Actuators Mfgs (mainly Dexter, Carlisle & Kodiak).
http://gotnarcosis.com/brucewittmeier/technical/BrakeControllerSelection.html
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

I was also worried about the actuator sticking, but it didn't seem to be doing so.

With the research I did, I couldn't convince myself to pull the trigger and switch from hydraulic to electric. So, I now have 4 new hubs and rotors, 8 new calipers, 4 new disc brake pads, and new bearings.

I usually say that BOAT means Best Of All Times, but today it was the old addage of Break Out Another Thousand (almost exactly).

If you did all that, why not change out the tongue parts too? That is more than likely where your problem is coming from.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I would go electric over hydraulic. A trailer place I take my trailer to for repairs was doing a conversion and I saw the results. It was NICE and worked even better.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
I know what my overall length is and I also know what the laws are in the states I tow.

...yet you mention neither, LOL.

I outlined the photo's vehicle, trailer, and crank down jack in an AutoCad 3D transparency overlay on my engineering computer and then rotated into sky view and WALLA!

It is shorter than mine and longer than yours. ๐Ÿ˜„
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
I know what my overall length is and I also know what the laws are in the states I tow.

...yet you mention neither, LOL.

Good luck with the brake job, as was stated if the pads were that thin it could have been messing with the surge actuator.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
My brother had a 24' Monterey Cabin cruiser, and the trailer brakes would always drag coming down the Portland freeways unless he tapped the throttle to make them release.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Thanks to those who have replied to my topic.

In regard to the off topic issue, I know what my overall length is and I also know what the laws are in the states I tow. I hope this does not continue off my topic. I know that subjects like this always are steered off topic by those that are adverse to tandem towing.

The problem that I have is that for some reason the brakes on the trailer were dragging during my last trip (I was towing the boat solo). The trailer needs new rotors and brake pads. This is the second time in 10 years that this has happened, and I know that if I had electric brakes I would not have this problem.

I live in Colorado, and do not boat in brakish or salt water. I know that most high-end boats now come with electric trailer brakes. Heritage, who makes my boat trailer, offers it as an option, so there is no problem with using electric brakes in this type of a marine environment.

I haven't decided yet what I want to do, although I am leaning towards just fixing what I have now (disc surge brakes on both axles) as I have a trip with the boat next week and need to get it fixed before I go.

It sounds to me like your actuator is sticking. This happens most of the time from the actuator traveling too far from either air in the system or the pads worn down. Also there should be a shock absorber in the tongue that should if working properly help keep this from happening under panic stops. One more thing, you do keep the tongue greased correct?
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to those who have replied to my topic.

In regard to the off topic issue, I know what my overall length is and I also know what the laws are in the states I tow. I hope this does not continue off my topic. I know that subjects like this always are steered off topic by those that are adverse to tandem towing.

The problem that I have is that for some reason the brakes on the trailer were dragging during my last trip (I was towing the boat solo). The trailer needs new rotors and brake pads. This is the second time in 10 years that this has happened, and I know that if I had electric brakes I would not have this problem.

I live in Colorado, and do not boat in brakish or salt water. I know that most high-end boats now come with electric trailer brakes. Heritage, who makes my boat trailer, offers it as an option, so there is no problem with using electric brakes in this type of a marine environment.

I haven't decided yet what I want to do, although I am leaning towards just fixing what I have now (disc surge brakes on both axles) as I have a trip with the boat next week and need to get it fixed before I go.

foneguy493
Explorer
Explorer
well i would not do that, because, electric brakes going into the water, or worse salt water is very bad !!! that is why you have surge brakes on all marine trailers, but if it were me i would go iin parellel or use 2 controllers. but still i reccomment avoiding electric brakes on your boat trailer
take pictures.....leave bubbles

04 1500 ram 4x4
08 hornet 27b hideout

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
Fix your surge brakes. It will be cheaper and probably work better.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I'd want a second controller for the second trailer. That's the only way I'd do it. However, my 21' boat on a tandem axle trailer has disc brakes on only the front axle and stops great. Granted, I don't double tow because VA won't let me. I'd just get your boat trailer brakes fixed.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I would think it would be hard to get the brakes set up right running from one controller. I believe I would add one just for the boat.

What problems are you having with the surge brakes? Can't you just fix them? Mine have worked great for 4 years.