cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tariffs hit RV prices

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
In today's Wall Street Journal, Michael Happe, CEO Winnebago, " We've had to go to market a bit more frequently and a bit more aggressively with some price increases as of late" They are also modifying RV floor plans to trim cost. He went on to say " Tariffs, broader trade tensions, and rising inflation are clouding the outlook for Winnebago"
This is coming as they are doing a 25 million dollar expansion. They are worried the uncertainty will cause consumers to hit pause. I never thought about how much Chinese materials are in an RV.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.
103 REPLIES 103

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Well it's been fun. Hopefully someone who can do something about this will read the posts and we have actually saved the world in 6 (12) pages.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

et2
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
et2 wrote:
Sorry. I just noticed you don't have any skin in this game. Not your money.

Another brilliant supposition gone horribly wrong. My place of residence means nothing in this conversation.

I have more than one passport in my pocket, and me and my businesses own LOTS of real estate in 3 states and employ hundreds of people.

I have more ‘skin’ in this ‘game’ than most here do.

You're not an American and your passport has zero influence in our political system. And employing Americans doesn't make you a taxpayer by proxy. Are you paying your employees bills? There's nothing worse than someone from a foreign country having a one sided view of how our country is run. That's one of the biggest problems the USA faces right now.

Your standing is pretty obvious in regards to your comment about the "guy" running the global economy going bankrupt 4 times. You have no idea or are selectively ignorant about how American citizens have been screwed by the largest corporations and financial institutions "running OUR economy". Me thinks you have a very small grasp or warped view of what objective Americans can see.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:

JaxDad wrote:
As for the farm, you’ve got that backwards, America has been renting Canadian and Mexican farms for years, for nearly nothing, compared to producing at home.
Wow, most Canadians I know are smarter then to rent their land out for "nearly nothing". Sounds like some pretty dim bulbs.

When you produce something offshore because it’s cheaper than doing it domestically with your own assets it’s referred to as ‘renting production’.

A ‘politically correct’ term to make smile when they hear it.

All you have o do is look at 2 cities or areas doing similar things relatively close together, but separated by a border to see how this works in the real world.

Detroit and Windsor for example.........
I'm sorry, I'm not following. Is there some other meaning for "renting Canadian farms"?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
troubledwaters wrote:

JaxDad wrote:
As for the farm, you’ve got that backwards, America has been renting Canadian and Mexican farms for years, for nearly nothing, compared to producing at home.
Wow, most Canadians I know are smarter then to rent their land out for "nearly nothing". Sounds like some pretty dim bulbs.

When you produce something offshore because it’s cheaper than doing it domestically with your own assets it’s referred to as ‘renting production’.

A ‘politically correct’ term to make smile when they hear it.

All you have o do is look at 2 cities or areas doing similar things relatively close together, but separated by a border to see how this works in the real world.

Detroit and Windsor for example.........

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
et2 wrote:
Sorry. I just noticed you don't have any skin in this game. Not your money.

Another brilliant supposition gone horribly wrong. My place of residence means nothing in this conversation.

I have more than one passport in my pocket, and me and my businesses own LOTS of real estate in 3 states and employ hundreds of people.

I have more ‘skin’ in this ‘game’ than most here do.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
A guy who went bankrupt FOUR times is running the planets largest economy.
He's also a billionaire. Actually, most people that made it big made mistakes along the way; hit the dirt, got up, dusted themselves off, learned, and went on. Now their millionaires and billionaires. Sounds like the American Dream to me. YOMV.

JaxDad wrote:

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Crabbypatty wrote:
Its really very simple. Do not buy New. I never do

America has been giving away the farm for years and its time for a readjustment.

You will excuse me if I decline the dinner invite, I certainly don’t want ‘gently used’ food or drinks.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Things were going pretty well until the angry Trumper stopped by.
Depends on what you mean by "going pretty well". If you mean the bullsh!t was deep and the gullible were partying, then yea.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Walaby wrote:

Actually, at the end of the day, it really is this simple.

Tariff is simply a tax on imports/exports. Costs are passed on to the consumers.

Mike

Calculation of the tariff is relatively simple.

The impact both short and long term is very complex.

Yes, the costs are passed on to the consumers but so are the savings but it's a lot easier to calculate the tariff but much more complicated to calculate the benefits.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
RTCastillo wrote:

Nope, doesn't work that way. Brazil is bigger land area than the US.

This is actually what's worrying the environmentalist. They'll open up more of Amazon for the bigger demand for beans. Bulldozers can make this land ready for the upcoming season.

Africa is another continent vying for agricultural development and already in strong trade ties with China.

You missed the point.

The exact outputs of each county aren't identical. I was demonstrating a principal. Of course, they each produce more than a 100 bushels per year and each sells to multiple countries. Likewise the buying countries typically buy from multiple suppliers.

The underlying commodity price is the same as the demand is the same, so there is no pressure to open up more land (at least no pressure that was any different last year).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Its really very simple. Do not buy New. I never do after learning on a new car that I lost 20% as soon as I drove off the lot and wanted to trade it back in. We always buy gently used. Save 50% on both rv's we have purchased. Saved 50% on my Jeep and 25% on or TV. America has been giving away the farm for years and its time for a readjustment.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
NJRVer wrote:
And after a brief intermission...

Stay tuned for Act 2...Inflation

Something boomers are familiar with, but not many others.

ROFLMAO.....thats funny. Wait until act 3 lol.

The solution BTW is inebriation.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Normy wrote:
Wow a bunch of arm chair Economists here! I'm so glad none of you are the USA Secretary of Commerce.

So did you always think that these luxury goods increase every year by magic beans? All of a sudden talk of tariffs is the end of civilization? Maybe your use to the dealer markups and the MTG rebates thinking your getting a great price? If Winni wants to blame tariffs and DJT for their increases, and they expect you to react by either pulling the trigger now to buy, or get you all worked up to point fingers because it hurts their globalist bottom line, cuts into their profit margins. If your worried about costs, stop upgrading every 3 or 4 years for the latest and greatest rigs. You may either have an issue or too much money on your hands? If it's the latter, then a true tariff increase won't have any affect on you. For NAFTA, end it. Only K-street and politicians elites in both parties benefited from it.

This is a "camping" forum, not a political soapbox. It's bad enough that the MSM keeps pushing their Fake news agendas all in our faces. Please keep your partisans leanings to yourself and bite your tongue when someone (like me) doesn't agree with your beliefs, this isn't the place. So normally I wouldn't respond to something like this, and I won't certainly say anything more or respond to flamers on this. Please block me or something so you won't be offended if my name pops up here or there.

This is nothing but ignorance if you get sucked into these topics.

Normy

Why are you people so angry?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Normy wrote:
It's bad enough that the MSM keeps pushing their Fake news agendas all in our faces.
Things were going pretty well until the angry Trumper stopped by.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman