cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Campground Driveby

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
It must be that we normally avoid the holiday weekends and typically arrive on the Monday for the week. This time we came early. Has anyone noticed the campers who evidently get great joy from riding around and around campground loop roads, over and over. I lost count with one guy at 47 passes over two days. Its not my gas or time, and I could care less what they do, but we're getting some good laughs watching these people riding around. Must be boredom or am attempt to show off the tow vehicle.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?
64 REPLIES 64

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
We always get rid of our garbage on a daily basis, so as not to attract raccoons, squirrels, skunks, etc.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
jfkmk wrote:

Actually, I am one of those Walmart bag guys (or Shoprite) pretty much for the reasons you’ve listed. At least until our governor outlaws them. I like the idea of having the dually guy giving them a ride on his way by though!

Me too! Actually, I also do it for the exercise.
Barney

We are a two trip family. The first trip is a Walmart bag full of our used straws. Second trip is the real garbage.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
jfkmk wrote:

Actually, I am one of those Walmart bag guys (or Shoprite) pretty much for the reasons you’ve listed. At least until our governor outlaws them. I like the idea of having the dually guy giving them a ride on his way by though!

Me too! Actually, I also do it for the exercise.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Addy15 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Ralph, I've never seen what you describe in 14 years of doing this

Me either....or I just never really took notice. Another observation are the people who walk down to the dumpster with the little Walmart bag of trash every evening. It doesnt take much to keep me entertained lol. Buy some real garbage bags and you won't need to take the garbage down every day, or just toss the bag in the dually guys bed when he cruises through.....they would have about 60 opportunities throughout the day.

Some people might have very good reasons for taking a smaller bag of garbage to the dumpster every day. Maybe they don't like something that might get stinky sitting around more than a day. Or, maybe they don't have room for a bigger trash can and use a smaller one that fills up quicker. Maybe they just choose to re-use bags they already have rather than spend money on yet more plastic that ends up in the trash. All situations that are part of my experience. Why sit in judgment about why a person chooses to take garbage to the dumpster every day?

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

Me either....or I just never really took notice. Another observation are the people who walk down to the dumpster with the little Walmart bag of trash every evening. It doesnt take much to keep me entertained lol. Buy some real garbage bags and you won't need to take the garbage down every day, or just toss the bag in the dually guys bed when he cruises through.....they would have about 60 opportunities throughout the day.

Some people might have very good reasons for taking a smaller bag of garbage to the dumpster every day. Maybe they don't like something that might get stinky sitting around more than a day. Or, maybe they don't have room for a bigger trash can and use a smaller one that fills up quicker. Maybe they just choose to re-use bags they already have rather than spend money on yet more plastic that ends up in the trash. All situations that are part of my experience. Why sit in judgment about why a person chooses to take garbage to the dumpster every day?

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
There are always a couple of people who are on the camp road all the time. Trips to the bathroom, the dumpster, the firewood concession, ice, a newspaper...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
RRTom wrote:
Maybe Mom and Dad letting a young person with a brand new (or no) driver's license get some practice?

Only if the youngsters parents were about 95 because the gent in the dually who I took notice of the most was every bit of 70 years old lol.

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe Mom and Dad letting a young person with a brand new (or no) driver's license get some practice?
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We drive around sometimes to look at sites, but usually that's like maybe 2 passes. I've seen people like the OP describes, driving around many many times throughout the day. I've wondered what they're doing myself.

And, when I go camping I tend to sit in my chair and do stuff like read or drink and sit quietly. Maybe one walk. That's what I go camping for, to do nothing.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
We've driven around campgrounds for all different reasons. Recovering from surgery and cannot walk for long periods of time. To look at other trailers or get ideas of what screen tent we wanted. Even when our dog was so sick she didn't have the strength to go on a walk but loved to ride with her head out the window. Sometimes we drive around just to see how full the campground is. I never thought it would annoy someone so much.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SusanDallas wrote:

This is very odd behavior and I have yet to figure out why they do this. I thought at first the woman had some obsessive compulsive behavior but her husband drives by also. If any police officer or psychiatrist has an answer to this I would love to know. After watching this for almost 2 years, I just ignore it but it is still a mystery. Strange but True.
Maybe - since you have determined that she lives in your neighborhood, you should bake a pie, take it over to her and start a conversation.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
was the driver young? I've seen people give driving lessons and practice.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

MrWizard
First you find the sites that look good, level etc..
Then you check them out several times per day
For shade, sun angle, etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s