cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Future of RVing

livelylittlecam
Explorer
Explorer
I am developing an article and podcast segment about the future of RVing/camping. I wanted some of the expert input from the RV.NET audience. What trends do you see developing in the coming years? For example--I think we will see greater numbers of campgrounds in the Northeast begin to stay open year round. Today's RV's can handle winter camping--so I think campgrounds need to catch up.

Have at it guys and girls--would love to hear your opinions!

Best--Jeremy
71 REPLIES 71

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
But it's not going to stay there forever. By a year from now, it will start streaking up again.

BulldawgFan wrote:

Fuel prices down $0.80 from where they were last year this time. National average.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forgot the most important Change in RV design for the near and far future. THE GOLDEN GIRLS EFFECT.

This will mean floor plans that cater to two adults who do not sleep together, who are friends but not intimate and who live and travel together for the companionship and savings.

This will mean more flexible and "dual" amenities. Two separate but equal sleeping areas and bathrooms in a more compact and efficient package than a 40 MH or 5th wheeler.

This is a growing trend in housing and is spilling over into RV's.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am surprised by the high level of cynicism and outright misinformation in so many posts. To say nothing of the blatant Baby Boomer Bashing by some...

Winter camping in the North East....No. For most of the reasons already stated but the most obvious...Why? When there is so much more to see and do in the West and South during the winter. Weather considerations aside.

Europeanization of systems and products, floorplans and technology will continue and get more prevalent and cheaper. This is very desirable.

DOWNSIZING is already a big trend among many and will continue to grow. The limits placed on you when you have a 40-45 foot Bus/MH are too great..there are just too many places you cant go and the price of everything is much higher.

Power systems and plumbing will evolve to be more like those on a Sailboat, more robust, longer lasting and of higher quality.

Parks are facing land use vs cost vs ROI (Return on Investment) issues nearly everywhere. This means many will close or not upgrade...while in other locations it will be the opposite. This will be a wash in my opinion.

The closest Economic model for the RV Park is the Drive-In Movie Theatre. I think you will see an emphasis on Customer service, upgrades in Technology and some clever ways to make the weather not such a big deal.

I do NOT think that existing Motel/Hotel chains will move into the RV business by adding sites at existing properties. That would require way to much land space at very high prices.

I do expect WAL MART to look into adding RV spaces.

And as for the poster that said that Baby Boomers only want comfort and huge MH's and dont care what things cost...I've never heard such blatant BS.

As for the Baby Boomers Dying out..UH UH Think again. We are a huge and dynamic economic force with an average lifespan that will take us beyond any past generation. And we are just beginning to enter the retirement curve and it has several years to go before it peaks. We will drive the RV Market for some time to come. At the same time that market is designing and building smarter and smaller cool products meant to appeal to the young family...The industry hasnt lasted this long by being stupid or ignoring their future.

To the OP...I hope when you post requests like these you are truly looking for a wide range of opinions and not just an echo chamber for already decided upon ideas.

I think a much more interesting Podcast/Article would be centered on the great shift in lifestyles that is taking place among so many who are RVing full time Giving up home and unnecessary possessions to seek a simpler easier and hopefully more rewarding life. THIS is the big trend as I see it. And one that has significant social and economic consequences far beyond those of Eastern RV Parks opening for the winter...in all due respect.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Mlts22 wrote:
We will see the RV industry a move to Euro style RVs, except with slide-outs

Many of those things already exist in Australia Truma, Deep cycle batteries , entertainment systems fuel cells etc

Drop down bed

Pop Up and External TV's plus Entertainment systems, Split cycle air conditioners

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I will be genuinely surprised if oil isn't back up to $125-$150 a barrel by Memorial Day, and gas prices are back in the post-2008 oil range of $3-$4 per gallon. People are not that stupid that they will trade their car in for a SUV, like what happened in the 1980s and 1990s during the oil glut. The economy was far better back then as well.

Don't forget the EPA, which tends to be heavy-handed, and tends to severely over-regulate (as they did with diesels, which have made all recently made diesels notoriously unreliable until the car companies can get the technology to handle the Draconian emissions standards.) Same exact stuff happened with gassers in 1973, and it took until the 1990s before most cars actually had horsepower again.

As for my RV predictions, which sort of echo previous posters:

1: European RV appliance makers like Truma are starting to get into the US market. One appliance now can do water heating, and furnace duty, running on both propane and electric. This changes a lot because there is now more space available in a RV, just because one appliance does the work of two. Over time, this will get even better. We may see hydronic systems that use propylene glycol and have that run via pipes around plumbing, tanks, and even have radiators for outside storage compartments to keep those above freezing.

2: As per #1, when Truma starts shipping their VeGA propane fuel cell in the US, the absorption fridge is done for, period. With the propane fuel cell providing wattage to the batteries, a compressor fridge will easily work, and work just as long as an absorption fridge, but without the self-destructing attributes, and able to run 30 degrees from level, not three.

3: We will see the RV industry a move to Euro style RVs, except with slide-outs. The Winnebago Trend is the first shot across the bow in this department, with more to come. This will happen, especially once Ford gets heavier duty Transit chassis models out, likely with a turbo diesel V-8 as one option, and an EcoBoost V-8 as another. Fiat's expertise are transmissions, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a ProMaster chassis with a nine speed automated manual transmission. The Sprinter will most likely wind up remaining as the flagship chassis just because of the name and engine advances, especially if they offer factory 4WD on cutaways and stripped chassis models.

4: We will see ever fancier setups for batteries and power management. I wouldn't be surprised to see lithium battery banks, many thousand watts of solar, awnings on both sides that come out that have flexible panels on them, solar window tint, and larger inverters.

5: More entertainment stuff. I can see some larger rigs actually having a computer with a file server for streaming movies if an Internet connection can't take it, more televisions (so far, the fifth wheel with six TVs was the most I've seen, but I am sure that will get beaten.)

6: For most rigs, same old junk-tastic rubber roofs that rely on gobs of Dicor to keep the rain out at the seams. Since some RV makers are not using Azdel and are back to luan for their fiberglass sides, delamination will be constant boogeyman unless one ponies up for the higher end stuff.

7: At the minimum, beefier batteries to support the ability to charge laptops, cellphones, tablets, and other electronic items while on the go.

8: Special nightstands for the iWatch. When that Apple item comes out, virtually everyone and his/her brother will want one, so having a special place, explicitly for that gizmo, will be expected, just like 12 volt and USB charging ports are now.

9: More innovations for maximizing room inside, be it drop-down beds or other means. Since the more fuel efficient rigs have a weight limit, a drop-down loft bed is a lot less weight than a bed slide.

10: All these predictions depend on the economy. If another 2008 happens, all the above is out the window.

puttd
Explorer
Explorer
I see a significant population of younger people fulltiming. Homeschooling is much easier and jobs are mobile. Younger folks have seen up close the downside of home ownership. If you have tech job and the choice is house around SF or an RV, the RV looks pretty cheap.

Tech is making it much easier to downsize. Replacements for almost anything comes in 2 days via Amazon. People dont watch TV, they don't really use cable. You don't need a huge desktop. The biggest impediment is connectivity.

I think there will be a move to lithium, which will get cheaper. With power more portable, there will be far less need for the full hook ups, except where AC is important.

There will be less of an emphasis on trailers as the lower cost alterative.

I think the younger users are going to want sleeker interiors with less bordello decoration. This is the apple generation and they care about design.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
atreis wrote:
Care to place a bet as to whether or not the trend will continue (and they'll be down another .80 next year at this time), or reverse and they'll go back up (not $5, but back into the $3.5-$4 range again)?

Betting on low fuel prices is a nice way to lose a lot of money. Good luck.

There's too many variables to bet on it, but my best guess from the available data is that gas prices will continue to drift lower going into the new year, and then level off as demand catches up with supply and crude prices reach equilibrium with shale oil production costs. As that happens, I expect we'll see some pricing bounce back, but my guess is that gas prices will stay below the $3.00 national average level for at least the next few years as new supplies come on line, not allowing for any unexpected inflationary increases for unrelated issues. A side effect of the gas supply and pricing situation is that propane wholesale prices have also dropped significantly. A few days ago I had 250 gallons of propane delivered to my cottage tank at $1.64/gallon.

For the time being (next 2-3 months) prices could continue to drift downward as drillers continue to bring new supply online at a loss, in anticipation of rising prices and because they've already made the investment. If the prices don't start to rise there will be some consolidation in the domestic oil industry, fewer new sites will be developed, and less profitable sites will be taken offline in order to bring the prices back up into the range of profitability. By spring or early summer, either through increased demand (from China, whose economy is currently slowing), or reduced supply (domestic, or OPEC losing patience and deciding to cut production), the prices will start to rise until it gets back to a minimum of 3.25 or more likely 3.5. I think by this time next year we'll be over $3 again. I could be wrong, but I think what's happening right now is a pleasant but short term event.

It's probably not a bad time to buy Exxon. 🙂
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Until the baby boomer population 'bubble' has passed on to their reward , RV's will get bigger and more comfortable every year ,70 years olds don't care about fuel costs or anything else but doing what they saved their entire lives for .
After that all bets are off.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
They will be coming with a tripoli pickup. Those with a dualy will be getting the ream job they have been handing out.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Searching_Ut wrote:
Having been an avid camper for 50 or so years, and watching the changes that have taken place over the years I would be really surprised to see much of the population RV'ing 25 years or so from today. Boondockings days are numbered in the west, which will impact many. Environmentalist pressure, along with taxes based on miles driven as well as weight of vehicle, time of day driven etc will also have a very significant impact. I would expect the US to thus become much more like the more densely populated countries in Europe where few members of the population camp in any way shape or form.

This would be a sad day indeed, but I agree. And it goes along with my observation; If RV'ing is perceived as a "one-percenter" activity, then it will be heavily taxed and penalized. Just look at the bad rep general aviation has gotten at the hands of corporate executives and their million dollar jets.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
Having been an avid camper for 50 or so years, and watching the changes that have taken place over the years I would be really surprised to see much of the population RV'ing 25 years or so from today. Boondockings days are numbered in the west, which will impact many. Environmentalist pressure, along with taxes based on miles driven as well as weight of vehicle, time of day driven etc will also have a very significant impact. I would expect the US to thus become much more like the more densely populated countries in Europe where few members of the population camp in any way shape or form.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
livelylittlecampers wrote:
I was thinking that more campgrounds would stay open for campers who boondock and are willing to camp without water. I think there is money to be made in what is now considered the off-season in the Northeast.

Best--Jeremy

Yeah, I don't see that. With the winter weather being so unpredictable in the Northeast, RV'rs would be really taking a chance towing during the late fall-early spring(basically 6 months). And not to mention being able to dig their towable out of the driveway. Is there really a sufficient number of RV'rs that want to spend a weekend or a week parked in snowbound campground? Isn't that the reason we have the great migration every fall from the northeast (and Canada in particular) to warm weather states?

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody's mentioned this yet, but I see a trend towards more full time RESIDENTS at campgrounds. Already, campground owners are filling more and more spots with long term residents to better match their income and expenses.

Also, I see more farms and merchants hosting campers going into the future to augment sales of their products.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
My crystal ball isn't as clear as many here, but I do see a future where winter camping in the Northeast is not the predominate trend. As for betting on high fuel prices being a sure thing, you might want to tell that to all the people who invested in oil stocks 6 months ago. They bet on high oil and lost their shirts. (and according to these threads only rich middle aged white guys have any money to invest, so it wasn't a pretty sight to see all those pasty white naked torsos).

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears - I think your posting nailed it. Chances are good that is what really triggered this sudden over supply and drop in prices. The states and the Fed's want a higher gas tax, getting it with high prices was dicey. Now they could ram it through with out much flaming. Then of course the price of oil will go back up and you and I are scammed again.
I understand the need for large amounts of money for infrastructure repair, but first lets take the waste out our present programs. When one looks around you and realize the amount of fuel being utilized by all the internal combustion engines, it appears we should have an endless supply of money available.