cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The saga of my junk rig.....I need suggestions....

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2009 Kodiak 192 hybrid. (Some people here might remember other post I've made about this) To say its a POS is a raging understatement. The bunk ends are of extremely poor design and borderline unusable. THe outside shower has never worked. The step tore out of the underside of the floor because the floor in that spot somehow got wet and its soft/spongy right there by the door. All the decals are peeling and it looks hideous. THere is delamination. The fenders fell off. Yes, fell off. The icing on the cake is last time I used it, when I went to put the awning back up, something went wrong with the mechanism and it retracted wrong and absolutely shredded the awning and bent something because the supports don't line up when their supposed to be closed, so the awning is destroyed. The only saving grace is it doesn't leak (except bunk ends) and everything inside still works.

I owe 12K on it. Yeah, we don't need to get into that. Ex wife issues there. I'm a poor working slob that can't afford to pay it off, or spend thousands on massive repairs. So I really don't know what to do with it. I"m about 85% sure I'm simply going to take the awning off and toss it, and just fill the bolt holes. I will just use a pop up cabana I have. I can try to shore up the floor where its soft and simply make a simple set of steps out of wood. I already tarp the bunkends to keep rain out.

So, I'm asking what you would do in this situation?
2009 Kodiak 195. Absolute JUNK.
35 REPLIES 35

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
IBcarguy wrote:
Doesn't sound like a very well maintained rig. It's 8 years old and these things require annual maintenance and repairs or they turn into junk.

My thoughts exactly. Have the maintenance requirements for an eight year old RV been performed annually?

There's always something on a trailer that needs to be fixed or replaced. If you ignore these things, it won't be long that a small problem turns into a big problem, particularly when it comes to leaks. Sounds like the OP either doesn't know how to work on his RV or isn't motivated to work on it.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
Doesn't sound like a very well maintained rig. It's 8 years old and these things require annual maintenance and repairs or they turn into junk.

My thoughts exactly. Have the maintenance requirements for an eight year old RV been performed annually?
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just tell the bank to come get it.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Use it as is

Fix as you can and use it.

Trade it in and roll your negative equity into another RV.

Let it sit while you pay the loan.

Find a better job or second job.

Bob_O
Explorer
Explorer
I can emphasize with you. Had a total brake failure on my pick-up less that 1,500 after spending $3000 on a total brake overhaul at Tires Plus a subsidiary of Firestone. Totaled the Dodge Ram 2500 and the Montana Big Sky. Both insurance and Firestone deny responsibility. After a year of frustration, not to mentioned huge bills I just quite making payments to creditors. Sure my excellent credit rating took a huge dive but what the blazes, I tried to negotiate but no luck. So just stopped paying. I'm 75 years old and won't be around that much longer. Family won't get hurt as I now do not own anything of values. Nope not even a house. So, I am flat broke without a pot to piss in an nothing to lose.
Bob
1998 Dodge 2500 Cummins QuadCab
2009 Montana Big Sky

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:
shelbyfv wrote:
OBob may have been a little blunt and insensitive but I don't think his statement was ignorant. RV's really are a terrible thing to finance for a couple of reasons. First, they are not a necessity as is a reliable vehicle or a home. Second, they are notoriously poorly designed and constructed and retain little value after just a few years. Easy to get upside down. Airstreams and fiberglass eggs being exceptions to the rapid depreciation. A little self restraint and delayed gratification can help get your financial house in order.

with apologies to Dave Ramsey and his devotees, there are perfectly valid reasons to use someone else's money at times.

we financed our motorhome, even tho' we had the money. And we're well aware of the rapid depreciation. we bought a near-new unit, used.

X2.

We are not financing our RV or next R/E purchase but that's just because I need the tax deductions. Under normal circumstances, I enjoy borrowing someone's money at a low interest rate whilst my liquid funds go to work increasing the assets.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
OBob may have been a little blunt and insensitive but I don't think his statement was ignorant. RV's really are a terrible thing to finance for a couple of reasons. First, they are not a necessity as is a reliable vehicle or a home. Second, they are notoriously poorly designed and constructed and retain little value after just a few years. Easy to get upside down. Airstreams and fiberglass eggs being exceptions to the rapid depreciation. A little self restraint and delayed gratification can help get your financial house in order.

with apologies to Dave Ramsey and his devotees, there are perfectly valid reasons to use someone else's money at times.

we financed our motorhome, even tho' we had the money. And we're well aware of the rapid depreciation. we bought a near-new unit, used.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you make a plan of how to fix one issue at a time and execute the plans, I think you'll find that repairs are not that difficult to do.

If you're unsure about how to proceed with a repair, this Forum is a great resource of DIY'ers and a few pros that can help you through most anything.

Good luck with your hybrid and the repairs!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Okay people what can we learn from this poor guy? This is a prime example of why one should never finance an RV. He is upside down with no way out.

You know OasisBob- that's a really ignorant statement to come up with, and easy to say. I'm a working man, and if I didn't finance cars and other things, I wouldn't have anything. There are creative and correct ways to finance; you just have to do your homework. Some of us don't have your kind of money, and the old adage about saving up just doesn't work. How long do I have to save to have a decent truck and an RV?!? Mucho long time for me.

To the OP: I'm so sorry you have to go through this. What a nightmare!I have no helpful suggestions whatsoever. Good luck to you sir!
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Okay people what can we learn from this poor guy? This is a prime example of why one should never finance an RV. He is upside down with no way out. Also supports what I am always saying about the RV industry and lack of quality. Quality varies considerably throughout. Is there a user forum somewhere for this brand that might be helpful for this guy? I suggest fixing what you can and just using it til it rots.

Not to get off topic, but so long as you're smart and responsible about it, there's nothing wrong with financing an RV. If you're credit worthy, have a good interest rate, and sizeable down payment, it's really not a bad idea.
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
You say you don't have leaks but have delaminating fiberglass and soggy floors.

So something isn't matching up here.

What you have is a maintenance mess that was allowed to continue and turn into a much bigger mess. You have to stop the leaks which physical evidence says are there. Then you can work on fixing the delamination and soggy floors and seal.

Short of you torching the place down, insurance isn't going to pay you a nickle because of long term seepage issues due to improper maintenance.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would fix up the visible problems to make it presentable and take it to a dealer and feel out a possible trade? probably won't happen to your liking but heck, you never know what deal you could walk into that MIGHT work for you.

Insurance. Yes if ya got it use it ๐Ÿ™‚

last, fix all ya can and use it if you are stuck with it. Sorry for your troubles. Sometimes we just get caught in that lousey situation!