cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The world's most expensive RV campsite - $1600

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is true. Camping for 4 days in Huntington Beach California will cost you $1600. This is due to the Great Pacific Air Show starting this Friday on the Beach.

RV camping spots are $1600 for 4 days. The RV sites are literally directly under the flight path. The noise from the jets actually sets off car alarms for miles around.

Want to roast marshmallows? Put them on a stick, raise them in the air, and the afterburners will do a quick toasting job.

If you want to save $1600, just bring a lounge chair and sit on the beach for free. Sigh...ONLY in California

Details
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
27 REPLIES 27

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I am of the opinion that once in a while, a splurge on something really cool, is money well-spent. Some of my favorite memories come from those events. We've paid the Big Bucks for camping sites that offered amazing views and not regretted it. Being able to watch an air show from the camp chair in our site would be amazing!!

We've splurged a time or two and never regretted it.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
tdiller wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
No attraction for me. No desire to see those types 9f events.

When my daughter was in the Navy stationed at Norfork, VA we were offered a Tiger Cruise, immediate family members of the sailor, a board the USS Eisenhower, air craft carrier. Tiger cruise took us to the edge of US territory. We toured the ship, saw where they slept and worked, served us a fantastic meal twice, breakfast and lunch, had activities in the hangar bays, and did an air show for us. Quite impressive, one plane was out 5 miles, did the sonic boom for us.

Total cost, free.

That sounds more like a dependents cruise. A one day experience. A tiger cruise is usually multiple days. I have had the experience of being on a dependents cruise on the GW Bush aircraft carrier with my daughter and was scheduled for the tiger cruise from Florida back to Norfolk when my father passed and we had our daughter flown home for the funeral. She got to experience being launched off the aircraft carrier. I also was a crew member when the ship I was on had a dependents cruise where my brother and best friend got to go out to sea for the day. They arrived the day before and we were all so hungover that my brother and friend almost could not handle the mild sea swells we were in.

Back in 2007 we got to do a Tiger Cruise - our son was on the John C Stennis (CVN74) and on their way home from the Gulf. We flew to Hawaii and boarded the ship at Pearl Harbor, then cruised back to San Diego. Six nights at sea with something going on every day, from firepower demonstrations, tours of the ship, etc. Having jets break the sound barrier less than 1/2 mile from the ship is pretty cool! I really tried, but I was unable to get a ride in the back seat of any of the Hornets! As for the food: the day be boarded at Pearl we had a full-blown pig roast, with all the trimmings. Other nights we had baked salmon, steak and lobster, pork chops, and other offerings - the crew enjoyed it as much as we did!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
I went by the air show RV camping area early this morning. It looks as if the campground is full. Also
it looks as if the cost of admission buys you a double RV space as the RVโ€™s are spaced evenly
at every other space. If that is the case, then it is fulll.

The regular parking area is also host to many RVs not camping, but there for day use. Probably
about 40-50 RVs at 6 this morning with more likely to come.

They had the pre show yesterday and suffice to say it was simply amazing.

Parking is a โ€œreasonableโ€ $30 but it will certainly fill up before showtime at 11:30.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
$1600 bucks to see the second rate flight team, the Thunderbirds! Pretty bad when the ad is showing the Blue Angels. No thanks

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
For $1600, come park in my yard .... I'll supply FHU, private shower, and even cook a meal for you, and fill your gas tank...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I am of the opinion that once in a while, a splurge on something really cool, is money well-spent. Some of my favorite memories come from those events. We've paid the Big Bucks for camping sites that offered amazing views and not regretted it. Being able to watch an air show from the camp chair in our site would be amazing!!

Yeah .... you're so right.

Not camping ... but a few weeks ago the DW gifted me a trip to Alaska salmon fishing out of a luxury remote lodge on an island. It ran about $1000 per day for four days. It was quite the experience - but the frozen fish I brought back were way over the top on their $$$$ per pound cost. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Cost for admission $1600

Getting a sunburn from an afterburner - priceless

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
:B ^

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey whats the big deal,4 days,3 nights on the beach and a airshow thrown in @ only $22 an hour......:B

These same spots go for $80 a day in their short season October to May.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
$1,600 a night? No thanks.

you mis-read it. it's $1600 for 4 nights, not one night.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
We went to that airshow two years ago. Saw the Thunderbirds (and many others) in action. Nice show. $1,600 a night? No thanks. Parked in a public lot just north of Newport Beach and rode our bikes (on the bike lane) to the show. Good exercise, cold beer, lots of scantily clad California girls, no traffic, no parking issues. Suits me just fine.

Chum lee

Itโ€™s $1600 for 4 nights.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
THe joke about roasting marshmallows... Well the Air Show was a good 40 miles from where we were watching but I can tell you it got mighty warm when those fighters flew overhead low.... I met one of the pilots doing my laundry a day or 3 later. They are amazing.... Both Pilot and Plane are the best of the best on the military craft.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
We went to that airshow two years ago. Saw the Thunderbirds (and many others) in action. Nice show. $1,600 a night? No thanks. Parked in a public lot just north of Newport Beach and rode our bikes (on the bike lane) to the show. Good exercise, cold beer, lots of scantily clad California girls, no traffic, no parking issues. Suits me just fine.

Chum lee