cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The worst interstate list

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never heard of this site but they have compiled a list of the worst Interstate sections in the US. Note that they are referring to short sections of long highways, the Rhode Island section of I-95 for example not the entire length of the road. Texas has several contenders in the list.
List
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
22 REPLIES 22

2milesup
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:
What always gets me in New England, is Massachusetts. I95 and I91 are paved beautifully, until you get to bridges. I guess they are saving money or something by not paving bridges? You'll be cruising along at 65mph (or 13mph in traffic) and then WHAM your TT flips over your truck as you cross a bridge. My truck seemingly has bounced sideways sometimes going over a bridge due to patches or height changes.

I really don't get it... it seems like Mass DOT is intentionally leaving bridges unpaved?

Maybe they're just a little deflated...

:B
Jerry & Lori
2011 Chevy 1500 5.3L Z71 4X4
2015 Lance 2285
Andersen Sway Control, Prodigy, Honda EU2000i, empty wallet

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I-69 much of MI. heavy truck traffic. I-75 thru detroit and again north of the Ohio border.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
What always gets me in New England, is Massachusetts. I95 and I91 are paved beautifully, until you get to bridges. I guess they are saving money or something by not paving bridges? You'll be cruising along at 65mph (or 13mph in traffic) and then WHAM your TT flips over your truck as you cross a bridge. My truck seemingly has bounced sideways sometimes going over a bridge due to patches or height changes.

I really don't get it... it seems like Mass DOT is intentionally leaving bridges unpaved?
The problem is you can't resurface a bridge like you do the rest of the highway. Old bridges are typically made of concrete and don't have an asphalt layer on top.

You can't simply add an asphalt coating on top either because you would no longer be able to inspect the concrete and there would be too much weight on the bridge to be supported within its design limitations.

You can't scrape a layer of concrete off the top either because that would weaken the bridge.

When concrete bridges are designed, they must retain the concrete as it was originally built. No more, no less and no modifications without lots of cost and engineering.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
... Massachusetts. I95 and I91 are paved beautifully, until you get to bridges. ...
And I thought it was only 495 that was like that. It isn't just the expansion joints, the whole bridge spans are like something in a war zone. I did notice on my last trip North in October that ONE of the bridges was repaved.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
DH refused to come home on I-10 thru Louisiana, so we went I-20 thru Jackson MS...horrible.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I-10 through Louisiana. I-75 north of Chatanooga is rough if I remember correctly. Anything in Houston.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:

You will be told that those bumps are necessary for "frost expansion". I might buy that explanation except most surrounding states (except VT) are much smoother...
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
It would be easier to compile a list of good highways....much shorter than the worst ones.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I vote for I-275 in Tampa and any interstate in Louisiana
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
I would like to add I 75 around Atlanta. I've been on it twice and hated it both times.

I-285?
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
72cougarxr7 wrote:
I am not as well traveled as some here, but I thought I-80 around Gary Indiana was terrible. Rough roads, construction everywhere, terrible traffic jams!

How long ago?

It was thoroughly rebuilt within the last several years, probably during the construction you experienced. It's a good road, for now.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
tomkaren13 Sorry to disappoint you BUT I-86 goes no where within 50 miles of Gowanda NY. There WAS a section of I-86 between Olean and Salamanca that was bad but was resurfaced this summer.
Unless they've resurfaced pretty much the whole thing we won't go on it. We would rather pay the tolls on I-90 than go on 86.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I-80. IL. Pick your time of year and there is always construction 'trying' to fix that road.

I-20 couple of years ago, out of Birmingham towards Atlanta at one time was SOOOOO washboardy I couldn't go over 40 miles an hour in the MH. And there were no roads you could get off on to get anywhere. :R Took it last year and they finally fixed it.

I-43 N. of Lake Geneva heading W. THE worst road I have ever been on. Washboard, up and down, banging the heck out of my MH.

Don't take much stock in that survey though. Chicago roads are no where's on that list. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer