cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

There are so many things I don't understand

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
Currently it's the guy who's spent most of a half hour trying to back his fiver into a pull-thru site. There must be a logical explanation - he is human, after all - and we humans are rational beings, aren't we?

Free amusements are sometimes the most fun.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.
50 REPLIES 50

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It`s also fun to watch the boat ramp! actually more fun at the end of the day with all the drunks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the great things about having an RV, is just when you think you know what you are doing something odd happens and you don't look so good. That is where humility comes from.

After a half an hour I would try mentioning to the guy that it might be easier to come in the other way.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok ladies, I have to say you are misunderstanding the guys offers. I can tell you after 5+ years of fulltiming that my husband as well as most of the men we have met and spent time with to know, offer to help both men and women when they are backing. That is because we all know how easily it is to not see something when you are in the drivers seat doing the backing. It is much easier to see trees, tree branches, posts etc from outside the rv. Any extra eyes that can keep your expensive rig from being damaged is helpful. It doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman, accept the help being offered if you don't have a spotter.

It also sounds like there are a couple other people that don't get what was wrong with backing into a pull-thru site. They apparently don't understand what a pull thru site is or they would understand what the problem was.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy watching someone that knows how to back (I don't). I watched a couple back a long 5th wheel into a tight spot in one try no adjusting back and forth. They used headsets and the wife walked around with a stick to measure clearances for slides and just talked to her husband as he backed. I was so impressed I went over and told them so. They said they had been full timing it for awhile.

My second impressed job was large 5th wheel pulled by an over the road semi tractor. They pulled into a tractor/truck show (semi tractor was an antique they were going to show). The fellow directing people told them the gate to the area they wanted to park was behind them. I would have turned around and driven through, they backed up through a gate that was maybe 10' wide across about 800' of open field and under a tree on the other side, all in one smooth sweeping curve at a goo rate of speed. Dropped the trailer and pulled back out to put the tractor on the show field.

Don't usually watch people having problems unless I can help, I would not want them watching me.

Tutorman57
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
It sounds like many of you are absolutely perfect in everything you do.

I see you haven't met my wife then. Lol

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We are. Couldn't have lasted this long if we weren't.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like many of you are absolutely perfect in everything you do.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
What I do like about internet forums is all the stuff posted... the good, bad, and the ugly!

paddywanpeep
Explorer
Explorer
That reminds me of a similar question I have always wondered about. Maybe some one here can answer it for me: Why do some people feel the need to make fun of others; and then, just for an extra good measure - post it on an internet forum?

I can answer that for you. Because sometimes its just funnier than S#!^

Tutorman57
Explorer
Explorer
After backing my Van in I ran over the help my good friend guide his brand new 30ft 5th wheel in. I have NO experience with a 5th wheel and so I was just doing whatever he asked. As he disconnected he forgot to chock the wheels and the whole thing slid off the plate and crushed his new trucks tail gate.
As it was happening his wife SCREAMED STOP, I just screamed, he hit the brakes and off it went. Crush.... Oboy...That was this summer he still yelling at us (mostly in fun .. I hope lol)

Any how I see someone gona back in or pull in I'll ask "Can I help you spot while you back in" .
As an Air Force Crash Truck Fire fighter I had lot's of training to back up all kinds of big riggs Including a 5000 gal tractor trailer water tanker. And a spotter was always required. If there was no spotter you waited.
What the AF FD didn't know was I had lot's of practice as a kid backing up our station wagon with our Wheel camper in tow.

An I would NEVER enjoy seeing someone wreck something. Heck I would feel bad I didn't get there in time to stop them.
So if I asked an you said no thank you, an I see your backing into a tree,,,Damm straight I'm gona yell something like "STOP".
But that's just me...Enjoyed the tread. Come on over later have a drink.

ldonabed
Explorer
Explorer
I also don't understand the "entertainment" aspect of watching others struggle. Backing into a site with our 33ft fifth wheel is the most stressful part of our trip each & every time. After 4 yrs it's still not easy & thinking that we have an audience makes it that much harder especially knowing the mind-set of some people.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I usually , sheepishly, politely, offer to help. If they politely refuse, I bow out, then I set out of the way where they can not see me and watch.

If they are a jerk about it, I pull up a chair. ( I should add that I don't actually pull up a chair. I just watch without being as polite about it )

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Last time I offered a 'extra set of eyes' cause site was 'tight' I got chewed out by lady driver......she had been a bus driver for 20+ years.

SO I pulled up lawn chair on my site for better viewing angle and WATCHED her smash front bumper on a boulder, whack MH tail on a tree and then dent compartment door an another boulder.

I still offer but doesn't take much to turn me into a spectator.

I bet she couldn't back up a train on the tracks :B
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I had to back out of a pull through site 3 weeks ago because of low limbs going forward. I have noticed this more and more in campgrounds that low limbs are not a priority. And no one offered any help nor did I need any.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch