cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of getting a water softener

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
We been in and loved places where the water was very hard, leaving our skin like itchy lizard scales.
20 REPLIES 20

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Flo Pur RV Pro 10000 water softener. As already stated, it used 2 pounds of ordinary table salt to regenerate. The only issue we have had was with the plastic Y at the outlet port. It broke and we replaced it with a metal one. You flush it after regenerating so there should not be salt that would eat up your drain plug. We put a Y just before the hose goes into the water softener and I get drinking and cooking water there. Some people do not worry about the trace salt in the water. It is the same issue when you use a water softener at home. After we started using the softener, we do not get all the water spots and scale we used to get using the hard water out west.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Flow Pur water softener and love it. The first couple of times I regened it, I did not ensure the salt was gone and made a gallon of sweet and salty tea...it was a shock to the system. Now, after I regen, I run the cold water until there is no salt taste... Daughter and wife loves the soft water in the shower.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
MTPockets1 wrote:
dbbls wrote:
I considered a softener but i am on a restricted salt diet. Doctor said not to get one.
. There is no salt effect in a water softener. Salt is used as the chemical agent which releases the hard minerals collected during use. After regenerating with salt, any salt residue is rinsed and gone=no salt. Doctor needs to stick to the no salt part which he is qualified, but the softener doesn't contain salt except while regenerating. Don't use water until regen is complete.

Perhaps you should stick to commenting on what you are qualified to answer. Water softeners do in fact add a small amount of sodium during operation - it is this ion exchange that makes them work. During operation, the resin captures a calcium or magnesium ion and releases a sodium ion. During the regeneration process, it swaps back the captured calcium/magnesium ion with a sodium ion.

Granted, it is a small amount, but depending on the extent a person is trying to limit salt intake, it might be significant.

Mayo Clinic FAQ
. I think this supports what I said, using the words insignificant is doctor talk. Doctors are best at covering their butts, proper use and regeneration and the salt is all washed away.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
blkdodge wrote:
I also have a water softener
I have noticed that the water heater Anode Rod will get eatin up faster because of the salt.
Just something else to watch out for.

You could swap to an aluminum anode rod..........but it may not protect as well when using softener

I do have an aluminum anode rod and have to replace it roughly every 12 months.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
blkdodge wrote:
I have noticed that the water heater Anode Rod will get eatin up faster because of the salt.

You could swap to an aluminum anode rod..........but it may not protect as well when using softener
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
I considered a softener but i am on a restricted salt diet. Doctor said not to get one.
That must be a very strict diet. You don't have to drink it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I have the FloPur Mark 8000.
Cost is $220 and includes shipping if bought from the site above. Regeneration is done with a box of common table salt.
It is similar to others like the "On-The-Go" water softener which is the one Camping World sells I believe.

Both are 8000 grain units which means they will last longer without requiring regeneration. Some folks use "Water Sticks" but the biggest one of those I have seen is only 1500 grains.

In AZ where we spend most of the winter the water hardness is about 50 grains per gallon. That means that an 8000 grain unit will soften about 160 gallons before needing to be regenerated. Since we use about 13 gallons of water per day we have to regenerate every 12 days or so.

In our home in CO we have a water hardness of 20 GPG, there the softener will last about a month. It is possible to regenerate using potassium chloride if sodium is an issue.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
MTPockets1 wrote:
dbbls wrote:
. There is no salt effect in a water softener. Salt is used as the chemical agent which releases the hard minerals collected during use. After regenerating with salt, any salt residue is rinsed and gone=no salt. Doctor needs to stick to the no salt part which he is qualified, but the softener doesn't contain salt except while regenerating. Don't use water until regen is complete.

Perhaps you should stick to commenting on what you are qualified to answer. Water softeners do in fact add a small amount of sodium during operation - it is this ion exchange that makes them work. During operation, the resin captures a calcium or magnesium ion and releases a sodium ion. During the regeneration process, it swaps back the captured calcium/magnesium ion with a sodium ion.

Granted, it is a small amount, but depending on the extent a person is trying to limit salt intake, it might be significant.

Mayo Clinic FAQ
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Got the blue one.. If the resin is properly flushed there should be no salt to damage to any of the plumbing. On the other hand, mineral deposits around the faucets and in the shower are almost gone.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use one (On-The-GO) for 7 yrs. FTng.

No build up on faucets, no excessive water spotting in shower, no scaling in porcelain toilet bowl and minimal scaling in water heater.

Not worth a hoot for making coffee........:B

On-The-Go, Flow-Pur, WaterStick make portable softeners.
8000 grains and 10,000 grains are popular sizes.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Ditto: And grab some quick disconnects and one short jumper hose for backwashing and regenerating. Ours works great.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008