cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thor (ACE) thumbs up or down?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of buy a thor Ace 27.1 2016 model (a little more counter space in kitchen)...

So speak to me on how good or bad this brand is? Does that mean its still bad if rolling out the door it had issues? Don't all new rv's have issues to be fixed? Will I be making a mistake to buy this...want king bed, counter space/i cook most all the time, less than 30 feet.

Donna
9 REPLIES 9

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some specs:

https://www.rvguide.com/specs/thor-motor-coach/class-a/2016/a-c-e-/27-1.html

A couple of negatives that may or may not be an issue with this unit:

GVWR is lowest Ford makes in the F53: 16k

Wheelbase/length ratio is a little low: .517
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
dcason wrote:
Thanks Justin...funny about the C clamp. Our C is a jayco so we no quality levels and a well loved 2005...just hit 100,000 miles and 75k is ours. Thanks for your input. Camping World Akron, OH never got back to us with a quote of any kind so we are skipping that unit and waiting for one closer to home to inspect. Winnebago is also in the mix (although no electric water heating).
Donna

You can convert/add electric to your water heater pretty easily. A few kits available, I think one is called Hot rod. About $100 and pretty plug and play.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Justin...funny about the C clamp. Our C is a jayco so we no quality levels and a well loved 2005...just hit 100,000 miles and 75k is ours. Thanks for your input. Camping World Akron, OH never got back to us with a quote of any kind so we are skipping that unit and waiting for one closer to home to inspect. Winnebago is also in the mix (although no electric water heating).
Donna

justinhscott
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2018 ACE 30.3. Weโ€™re very happy with it. About 9,000 miles and 40 nights in it this year. It does seem cheaply made in some ways but you get some higher end features too. Maybe Iโ€™m more tolerant of โ€œbad mannersโ€ but I think it drives fine. Biggest complaint is probably noise while driving. I have to keep a โ€œCโ€ clamp on the drivers window or else thereโ€™s a horrific whistle.

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
Our 30.1 2015 bought new has had a few issues but nothing bad enough to make us sorry about the purchase. Replaced the outside TV twice then waterproofed the chamber and no more problems. It is an entry level coach and the size and floor plan fit us well so would do it again. Jim.

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
We had a 2017 29.3 ACE for little over 2 years. We wanted to down size from a 35' 5th wheel. As for the ACE we knew it was not the top of the line, however all of the appliance, etc were the same as in better units. Had some problem with the paneling coming loose, again I felt ok with that nothing a little glue and nails could not solve. The original TVs are junk, I can not think of the name off hand but it starts with an "A". The black holding tank is only 26 gal. and the bath sink feeds into that. It really does not take much time to fill.

Folks complained about how it drives. I had no problem, must have been the Ozark Mountain roads that help with that. The V10 really handled the coach without much problem. I pulled a KIA on a dolly for many miles with it.

Storage was a down factor for us. After going out for about 2 weeks we decided we downsized a little to much. We do not carry much but the ACE just does not have much storage either in or out.

All in all if I had to do it again would I buy one. Do not know but it would be on my list.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that. We MOSTLY boondock/dry camp on BLM lands, national forrest, etc. Hubby insists he can get the ACE wherever he can get the 25 foot class C...yeah right!

AND we use it a lot in the shoulder season or colder seasons...SO I want that insulation...we've taken the C to 16 degrees at night...kind of cold but doable.

And yeah, I don't expect the best but we are NOT (lol) the weekend travelers...we go out for minimum of 6 weeks and mostly two months/sometimes more...retired and just like to roam.
Donna

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
We owned an Ace for several years. We loved it and had very few issues. You must be realistic in your expectations. Ace's are cheap and as such, you get what you pay for. The quality is low but I knew that going in. I wouldn't full time in one but they are good little coaches for weekend trips. Not much insulation so they are noisy and poor road manners. So it really depends on what you are going to use it for. If you want better quality, look elsewhere.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We looked at the ACE models and liked some of the features but the quality just wasn't there. We went with a Winnebago.