cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire covers

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Tire covers. Yes or no. The reason I ask is 2 tires that get most of the sun are covered and have cracks in the sidewall. The other 2 get very little sun are not covered and are fine. Marty
12 REPLIES 12

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Were the tires covered since brand new?

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Another camper asked me if he could shoot my white tire covers with his IF gun. We both were sitting to get full afternoon sun. He found his black tire covers would go to 160 -165 degrees on the inside vs 105 inside my white tire covers. Outside temps were in the low 90s with full sun. The trailer was set up for a 45 day stay at a KOA. Other wise I don't carry the covers while on a trip/vacation.
Of course we know that sun rays kills tires rubber on a sitting trailer (months at a time)......Heat also is a rubber killer.
There are no trailer tires (ST) that recommend 7-10 years before replacing. Most say in the 3-5 years range.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr_andyj wrote:
Always.
For that matter, cover your roof AC shroud and the vent hoods, plastic will become brittle and break from UV.

Yes, but a brittle shroud will not cause a blowout or potential damage from a blowout.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Siblen88
Explorer
Explorer
You can Maintain proper inflation pressure in your tires to avoid cracks

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
No point in covering tires, what does it accomplish? If you leave your tires uncovered, you will get new tires in 7 to 10 years. If you cover your tires, you will get new tires in 7 to 10 years. You have gained nothing.

You answered your own question with your initial post. Covers did you no good.

Think through the logic of the situation. If you don't use covers, and have dually tires on the back, the outside tires block the sun from hitting the inside tires. Do people end up changing the outside tires more often than the inside? Absolutely not! Yet the inside tires were continuously shielded from the sun. Should have lasted at least another year, don't you think?

Tire manufacturers use a UV protection in the compounding of the rubber. Enough to make the tires last from 7 to 10 years. End of story.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Marty

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or invest in some 303 Aerospace UV protectant. Spray on all plastic parts and rubber seals. Keep tires clean and sprayed, keep tires off the ground if in storage.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Always.
For that matter, cover your roof AC shroud and the vent hoods, plastic will become brittle and break from UV.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes when parked at home and I even use them on the door side when it's on the sun side while camping.. The other side has the slide that pretty much blocks any sun when they are out.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We always cover with a white vinyl, fleece lined cover and have never had a problem, BUT - about 12 years ago we had our tires covered too and the tires cracked on the side that got the most sun. They were a different brand so I wonder if that is it?
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
We always cover the tires when the 5th wheel is in storage. If I parked somewhere for a month or so, I might cover them, if I had the covers on hand. UV is very hard on rubber.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I cover all my tires but cracks usually donโ€™t appear to the human eye until long after the tires should have been replaced IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad