cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire D rating vs R rating

my_toys
Explorer
Explorer
My Jayco tires are 205 75 R15. My utility trailer tires are ST 205 75 D15. I know they are radial vs bias. My question is: Can I use the Jayco spare as an emergency spare for my utility trailer? Would only be used to get me to the next gas station/tire place?
2014 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2008 Nissan Pathfinder

Nancy-USAF Veteran; Dear Hubby Joe-USAF Retired

Why do we have to push 1 for English?
13 REPLIES 13

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Smkettner, I'm with you!
Any port in a storm, and any tire in a flat situation.

Keep in mind how many cars and sport utilities have a compact spare in the trunk or underneath. How similar would that be along with three all terrain tires or 3 high performance street tires?
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would mount about any spare just to drive to the tire store.
Wrong size, Bias, Radial, no tread, low air, sidewall cracks, tread separating.
You name it I would mount and drive cautiously to the tire store.

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
boshog wrote:

Couldn't resist Googling it. It is illegal to mix tires in Canada;

"Use similar tires on all four wheels. Some combinations are illegal, including: radial-ply tires on the front and bias-ply or belted bias-ply on the rear;"

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section5.1.4.shtml

Even what you found is about a car or passenger vehicle...

"4-tires..."... What if my trailer only has 2 tires (like a single axle)?

The intent of that (speculation on my part of course) is to ensure that the handling characteristics of a passenger vehicle are the same left-to-right AND/OR front-to-back.

Yes it is true that a bias will react differently to thrust and force than a radial tire will.... However the question is about a trailer which completely follows the driven unit.

If ONE bias tire in combination with THREE radial tires (or other way around) causes a handling issue such that the trailer over-takes the driven unit this is some other SERIOUS issue going on and the combination should not be on the road.
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I used to run 33x10.50r15 TSL Boggers on my Nissan Xterra. Boggers are Bias Ply. I ran a 33x10.50r15 TSL Radial as a spare. I drove with the TSL Radial as a spare for several hundred miles without a problem. I was told this was a bad idea, but at the time I didn't have a choice. I did run the radial on the rear.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
But, how about US? I do NOT believe it is illegal in US.

US is a nanny state. Canada is a nanny state on steroids! LOL

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
SolidAxleDurango wrote:
mpierce wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:
There is a problem with a car using a radial tire and bias ply tire, as they have different traction abilities. So they would steer different, thus it is not legal to have a radial and bias ply tire on the same car or pickup.

Fred.

Not smart, but can you provide link to where it is actually illegal to have bias and radial on same car? I have never heard it is against the law. Thx.

There will be no link and no response because it's not true.

Couldn't resist Googling it. It is illegal to mix tires in Canada;

"Use similar tires on all four wheels. Some combinations are illegal, including: radial-ply tires on the front and bias-ply or belted bias-ply on the rear;"

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section5.1.4.shtml

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:
There is a problem with a car using a radial tire and bias ply tire, as they have different traction abilities. So they would steer different, thus it is not legal to have a radial and bias ply tire on the same car or pickup.

Fred.

Not smart, but can you provide link to where it is actually illegal to have bias and radial on same car? I have never heard it is against the law. Thx.

There will be no link and no response because it's not true.
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:

Trailers are different, in that they are towed, and not steered, and no axle power is put to the trailer axles. For emergency use, I would not hesitate to tow the trailer several hundred miles. But I would also be looking for a tire shop, and change everything over to the longer mileage and higher quality (less likely to have a flat or blowout at 65 MPH) Radial tire.

Have fun camping!

Fred.

Not true at all.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:

Fred.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer

Trailers are different, in that they are towed, and not steered, and no axle power is put to the trailer axles. For emergency use, I would not hesitate to tow the trailer several hundred miles. But I would also be looking for a tire shop, and change everything over to the longer mileage and higher quality (less likely to have a flat or blowout at 65 MPH) Radial tire.

Have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree, if the wheel fits, I'd use it for an emergency spare.

Jerry

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
If the lug hole pattern is the same, go for it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"