cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires aged out

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Six year old tires, 2/3 tread remaining, never more than a pound or two less than max pressure.
Nasty surprise on the inside of the first tire removed.

Special thanks to SoundGuy for tip on specific jacking on this model.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah, I don't understand what it is, I've had a lot of trailers and the tires, regardless of quality, condition, miles, how they were stored seem to much more failure prone after about 5 years. Give or take.
Reminds me, the boat is sitting on 4 brand new looking nice tires that never see the light of day save for a half dozen days a year that are 8-9 Years old now. Prolly should get around to swapping them out. Come to think of it, never had a set last that long with out an issue.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Roger Marble's RVtiresafety.net blog:

" Usually bulges are the result of some impact damage done to the body cords that resulted in a few being broken due to shock loading." and "Due to the Interply Shear effects on belt durability, trailer tires need to be closely inspected after a couple of years and it appears that 5 years may be the max life for most applications."

New tires needed. Then avoid things like large/deep potholes and highways with large settlements in adjacent concrete slab sections, esp at higher speeds. ST tires are generally recommended to be replaced at around 5-6 years even if they look perfectly fine and have low miles on them.

Besides keeping tires at max sidewall psi, it's also important to never tow over 65 mph (almost all ST brands) and never tow overloaded. In some cases you can be overloaded on one side due to a slide and what's in it. Having more reserve load capacity is a good idea and will reduce stress on tires. Should be a min. of around 15 percent. Some RV manufacturers load them up almost to their max rating. We went to LRD instead of LRC normally installed and have around 30 percent reserve capacity.

Many years ago we had the tires on a fairly new Toyota truck end up with a lot of bulges on all 4 tires after a long trip that included a leg on an interstate that had significant settlement between all the concrete slabs for many miles. The repeated bam-bam-bam destroyed the tires (not steel belted). Haven't seen that yet while towing our TT but if I ever do, I'd slow to a crawl or take another route.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I made a living on the road with trucks and trailers. ST class tires were avoided at all costs in this type of work.
Label me any way you want but quality tires were all day every day important to make a profit or go bust; pun intended

From Carlisle ;

Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
โ€“ 3 to 5 years is the average life expectancy of a trailer tire,regardless of mileage.
โ€“ It is estimated that in approximately three years, roughly one-third of a tire's strength is gone
โ€“ After three years, depending upon storage and conditions of usage, consider replacing trailer tires even if they have tread depth remaining.

โ€“ After five years, trailer tires should be replaced in all cases.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Had two tires blow out side walls on the same trip. Five and a half years old!!!

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I don't want to be labeled one of the "tire police" so no comment.

But you did comment "Tire cop" ๐Ÿ˜‰
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't want to be labeled one of the "tire police" so no comment.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
It's my understanding that tire manufacturers recommend replacing ST tires every 5 years.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
The picture is really small format. But I think I'm seeing a huge bubble in the sidewall? If so, you escaped really cheaply!

Jim

Yep that's a fist sized bulge going from the rim to just inside the tread.
IMHO and that of the tire guy that replaced it the tread was going to soon separate and come off.

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO the "bubble" had nothing to do with the tires being 6 years old.

This is typically caused by a hard impact to the shoulder area in that exact spot. The impact causes a very small rupture in the tubeless liner inside, which allows inside pressure to form the bubble you see.

If maintained properly, 6 year-old tires are certainly NOT ready for the scrap pile, again IMHO (nor do any tire MANUFACTURER I know recommend it)

"In the tire industry 40 years; seen it all and done most of it"

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
The picture is really small format. But I think I'm seeing a huge bubble in the sidewall? If so, you escaped really cheaply!

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)