cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires...To Shine or not to Shine??????

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
Okay so I am a all dressed up rig kinda guy. I like my chrome to sparkle and my paint to shine. Along with that I like the wet look on my tires it kinda goes with the territory. I have read on here that you shouldn't use armor all and the other dressing stuff because it is bad for tires. Is there anything (besides soap and water) that I can put on my tires to make em shine?

Thanks
Chad
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
2009 Weekend Warrior Superlite
B&W Companion
2006 Arctic Cat 650 H1 (x2 His and Hers)
An Awesome Family!
47 REPLIES 47

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
Meguiar is all I've ever used on my vehicles and RV's. IMHO the best products one can use as it contains water-resistant polymers combined with antiozonant additive that prolongs tire shine looking blacker, while preventing cracking, browning, and premature aging.

As most of you know, tire companies build their tires with anti-ozonants build into them. These components are designed to leach to the surface when the tire is under load and in motion in order to protect the rubber from the ravages of ozone exposure. It's the ozone that is the main threat to tires, not UV. Ozone levels can vary around the world, but it tends to be greater in and around large industrial cities and at higher elevations. As these anti-ozonants come to the surface and are exposed to oxygen, they turn brown; and this browning of the sidewalls is known as "blooming".

It's a naturally occurring situation ("naturally occurring" as in "it's designed into the tire") and not caused by anything you've applied to the tire. Each tire company has their own recipe not only for the tires but the overall anti-ozonant blend as well. Certain key ingredients are common to most, but it's how their combined, in what ratios, etc that will determine the level of blooming on a given tire.

Some petroleum solvents are used in cleaning solutions that will strip that brown off the side of a tire in no time. Some of those might be a bit more harsh than what should be used. Some might penetrate a bit deeper into the sidewall and strip out the anti-ozonants that are supposed to be protecting that outer reach of the side wall.

In my tire experience Michelin is the worst for tire blooming (not necessarily bad nor good) and does not approve of any tire dressing other than their own and if not available, you must use dressings that are Water Based and do not contain Petroleum or Silicone.

Meguiar's essentially has two tire dressings with Petroleum distillates; Hot Shine and Endurance aerosol sprays. But here's the interesting detail with those - the Petroleum distillates are basically the stuff that makes an aerosol an aerosol. They're the propellant that moves the ingredients out of the can and onto your tire. They are literally gone in a matter of seconds; they don't stick around on the side wall of the tire.

As for the silicone, When applied to the sidewall of a tire, they actually prevent to some degree the ability of ozone to penetrate to the rubber. That means the silicone can actually help protect the tire.

To the best of my knowledge, experience and research the problem of cracking or blooming over time is not caused by or accelerated by any Meguiar product. Regardless if using petroleum or water based it is important to start with a clean tire before applying.

Meguiar NXT Generation Tech Protectant
NXT Generation Insane Shine Tire Coating
Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Coating
Endurance Tire Dressing

If in doubt then can use a water-based product but won't last as long; less durability.

Examples:
M4016 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner
D170 HyperDressing
303 Aerospace Protectant (I've used on my RV tires when that's all I have in the shop)

I've been using Meguiar products for many years w/o issue and given the company has been around since 1901 I tend to trust them.
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
ottor wrote:
Never heard of this "303" ....... can you get at major stores?

Is Walmart major enough? :B

If you notice WalMart doesn't really sell it, but a third party does for them. No way you can go to a WalMart and find it on the self.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
ottor wrote:

Is Walmart major enough? :B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
The reason the tire manufactures recommend replacing tires that are 6 yrs, or older is thats about the average life span of the antiozonant, which helps keep the tires from drying out and cracking. (on the inside, and outside) The antiozonant, working it's way to the surface is what turns the tire brown, not the dressing. I also use a little Bleach White to clean my tires.
6 years is not a marketing ploy, but really a safety issue.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ok if Armor all or other dressings destroy your tires then by all means do not drive on the roads with those tires. All kinds of nasty stuff out there that will disintegrate them!!! Jk
None of that stuff will hurt your tires. Period. If the tires are cracking, they are old. If you don't wear them out in a few years most will crack regardless of tire care. Just a fact of life. Not due to Armorall.
If the tire dressing buildup turns them brown, use some Bleche White for white walls. Or aluminum wheel cleaner. Strips the buildup off and makes them black again.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Some more info.

Tire Dressings
"Prior to the application of a tire dressing, you need to make sure the tire is cleaned as per above โ€“ the tire protectant or dressing will adhere much better to a clean tire. Keep in mind that tire dressings wonโ€™t adhere to or create the right shine on a dirty rubber surface.
As is the case for tire cleaning products found on the market, there are also a plethora of tire dressings. There are generally only two โ€˜typesโ€™ of tire dressings: water-based and solvent based. Water-based dressings are often a milky-white liquid and are typically a combination of naturally occurring oils and synthetic polymers that provide a very nice non-greasy, satin-like finish โ€“ very similar to the look of a new tire. Some water-based tire dressings also contain UVR blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. As an added bonus, most, if not all, water-based dressings are friendly to the environment. I have had good success with Meguiarโ€™s Hyperdressing, an extremely nice all-around rubber dressing that doesnโ€™t โ€˜slingโ€™ off tires as you drive โ€“ it is water-based, however, and will not last very long. All water-based tire dressings are about the same as far as durability goesโ€ฆyou might get a week depending on the environment you are in. Solvent-based are often a clear, greasy liquid and tend to leave a wet, glossy film on the tire surface. Be careful, some solvent-based dressings contain solvents that, over time, may lead to premature drying and cracking of the tire surface. Solvent-based tire dressings are going to last much longer and look better than water-based dressingsโ€ฆand are going to be more expensive. If you stick with a reputable company then you wonโ€™t have any issues with โ€˜badโ€™ silicone being used to make the dressing. Perhaps the best solvent-based dressing on the market is Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus. This is a great product that can also be used on the wheels and trimโ€ฆit is pricey but a little goes a long way. Meguiarโ€™s All Season Dressing is also an excellent dressing for tires, trim and even wheel wells. If you are looking for economical and durable solutions then I would pick Meguiarโ€™s Hyperdressing (water-based) for the engine bay and interior and Meguiarโ€™s All Season Dressing (solvent-based) for exterior rubber, plastic, vinyl. Keep in mind that the difference between water- and solvent-based dressings is simply in the โ€˜carrierโ€™ system used. Solvent-based products use a hydrocarbon silicone to suspend the product whereas water-based products use water. Some less reputable tire dressings, especially those used at car washes and quick turnaround detailing shops, use a solvent-based silicone dressing that has extreme shine and the tendency to sling off the tire onto the paint (as shown below) โ€“ left on the paint, you may get discoloration from this type of dressing.
While application of a tire dressing is quite easy, there are a few points to keep in mind. First, donโ€™t apply too much dressing. Simply apply some dressing to a dedicated tire rag, towel, or foam applicator and wipe the dressing on the tire to provide nice, even coverage. Be careful not to get the dressing on the car or the wheel โ€“ particularly when using an aerosol spray. Meguiarโ€™s Hyperdressing typically comes in a gallon size container and can be diluted depending on need. I generally dilute it 1:1 and have had excellent results. Some other detailerโ€™s dilute it 2:1 (2 parts water, 1 part Hyperdressing). Either way, you will need to find what is best for you and what look you are trying to achieve. A gallon of Hyperdressing will last a long time and is very cost effective. Meguiarโ€™s All Season Dressing is sold โ€˜ready to useโ€™. Third, a few minutes after you apply the dressing, wipe the tire with a clean rag or towel to remove any residue. And fourth, try to keep the tire dressing off of the tire tread. Tire dressing, either water- or solvent-based, will make the tire tread slippery.
While all of the above may sound a bit complicated, the procedure is actually quite simple and will only take a few minutes per tire. In the end you will end up with a well protected tire that looks like it came out of a show room!"

So what I surmise from this is, 303 is probably no better then other water based dressings, but is more expensive. Any good solvent based brand like Meguiar's, Mother's etc., will not harm the tire, costs more than water based, but lasts longer.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolbreeze01 wrote:
I told the dealer not to put shiny junk on my new tires.

I agree! I only want the shiny good stuff! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ottor
Explorer
Explorer
There's NOTHING more exciting than to be shot at ..... and missed.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I told the dealer not to put shiny junk on my new tires.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Alright you guys got me going. I looked up the Michelin website and saw the big "don't use anything otherwise it will void the warranty" scare words. I also saw they had a link to their tire shine product (though water base of course) wonder if that would void the warranty also? :S

Anyways, went out to the truck and pulled out the bottle of Maguire's hot shine I use on a recommendation from a RV neighbor who was told by the RV detail guy to use (he washes and shines about 100 rigs per month.) Yes Maguire's says it has petroleum distillates, it also says it will extend the life of the tire, reduce checking, and will not turn a tire brown (never heard of that prior to this thread, learned something new thanks.)

So I guess if you buy the stuff at the dollar store (and paid the price of wrecked tires) you might have a valid case for using the big buck 303. Me I'm just buying a good brand name, at a fair price, that says it's good for the tire and will reduce checking and ozone damage. Seems to have been working so far.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like I said, I don't use it anymore after that first bad experience with the weather checking. But if you just apply it to the sidewall there won't be any problem. I've never seen any "creep" and most people don't use anywhere near the available tread area. There are usually plenty of chicken strips. ๐Ÿ™‚

Personally I don't care for the shiny black look on the toyhauler, but Peggy thinks it's pretty cool. So since I'm the one who has to do the work, they don't get any kind of treatment. That makes one of us happy, and the other a little grumpy. But I can live with that. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
You don't put it on the circumference ...... Do you really think someone would do that :h
Well...... At least I hope we're all smart enough to know that :B
Thank you. The last time I looked, the sidewalls weren't used for a riding surface. ๐Ÿ™‚

I actually did know someone who did that. They learned very quickly what a bad idea it was.

And you trust that it won`t "creep" onto the tread area? not worth the chance!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
I use Aerospace 303 on my trailer and camper. I go across the decals. It goes on very easy with nothing to rub off. Also it goes on the tires easy. When you rub against them, you don't ruin a pair of pants from all that black junk rubbing off on them.

I bought a window scrubber exactly like this one Click Here from Walmart, grocery section, but only cost $9.00. I removed the squeeze part. I spray 303 on the mop part and apply it to the fiberglass. 1-2-3 done.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
I've used ArmorAll for many years with no problems. If you have tires cracking, it's either because it's a cheap China tire or a defective American made tire or it's past time for normal replacement.

I purchased a gallon of Aerospace 303 (about $78), and it worked no better than the ArmorAll that I purchased at WallyWorld.
Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition