cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Title Question trade in

kartsahd
Explorer
Explorer
I want to buy a new truck. I have title in hand for the old one to trade in but it has both me and my wife's name on it with an "and" in between (not what I told them to do, I said "or") did not notice until now :(. She is in another state and will not be home for some time. There are good deals to be had and I would like to buy this week. I called and talked to their finance people and they said we both need to be there to sign over title. It seems to me this could be done through faxing or something. Anybody run in to anything like this and how did you get it done. I even said I could mail it to her and have her sign it but they said there was other paperwork she would have to be there for???:?
24 REPLIES 24

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Big Al has the answer.

Why didn't I think of that? :S

Wife signs my name all the time, so why couldn't I sign he name? :B

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
overnight fedex or she could do a power of attorney and fedex it to you.

X2. Dealers use a power of attorney for most every transactions so they can get the old title changed from your name to then sell the vehicle. I would make sure they would accept a POA signed by your wife and send it to here instead of sending the title
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer, good advice! Check with DMV in your state.

For example, in NC you will not be forging a title. Notary only.

Don't think we do the "or" thing either but not sure. Never seen it. Check with DMV!!

kofire
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had them watch me sign over a title. If it's signed that's all they care about. Just sign it for her and move on with the process.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Captain_Happy wrote:
And sometimes it depends on what county your in. Years ago I trader off my 2000 Damon for a Winnebago. This was after my wife had passed away from cancer. The title was in both our names. I had to show the death certificate, plus a copy of the will for the county clerks office. So if your going to put both your names on a future title, put an "OR" in there between the names.

Not ALL states recognize "or".

PA it is BOTH, not one or the other, it is considered "joint" property if BOTH names appear on the title. BOTH must sign at the same time in front a Notary. In PA a Notary does all the paperwork prep and sends the changes to PADOT for titles.

POA for spouse should work in all cases and sending Fedex to spouse to sign may or may not work depending on how your state handles the paperwork.

BEST BET is to contact YOUR LOCAL DMV, not gain "advice" from the Internet. Only your local DMV can tell you the PROPER procedures that they will accept.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bigg Al wrote:
Do what you did as a kid in school who got a bad Report Card. :C

My Mom's signature never looked so good. :B

Bingo. Save the Fed Ex bill.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bigg_Al
Explorer
Explorer
Do what you did as a kid in school who got a bad Report Card. :C

My Mom's signature never looked so good. :B
Tow Vehicle:
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 DRW Laramie Crew Cab
6.7 Cummins Diesel

Race Car:
Pro Mod 1969 Chevelle
Jerry Bickel Chassis
525ci BAE Hemi Twin Turbocharged
3 Speed Lenco Transmission
Best E.T. 5.62 seconds at 265 mph

Take me to your Golf Course!!

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
And sometimes it depends on what county your in. Years ago I trader off my 2000 Damon for a Winnebago. This was after my wife had passed away from cancer. The title was in both our names. I had to show the death certificate, plus a copy of the will for the county clerks office. So if your going to put both your names on a future title, put an "OR" in there between the names.

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely whoever you spoke with had not a clue. I have sold many vehicles without the buyer being physically present. It can all be handled by over-nite mail. I would go to the dealership and ask to speak with a manager. The paperwork can be sent to your wife, signed in front of a Notary Public, and sent back to the dealership.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
FEDEX her the title have her sign it in front of a notary. She sends it back to you. Eze peeze

X2
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Get durable power of attorney for her and while your at it for you too. It will be very helpful for future problems.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
I had this happen with a motorhome I bought out of state. Only one of the two owners signed the title. My DMV advised to mail it back for the 2nd signature and return. They said some states require both signatures and some don't.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
go visit her buy a truck where she is

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been there and done that...in Tennessee. OP lives in Oklahoma, coolmom. Back up and consider that your state may be different than his state.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad