cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To Upgrade TV or Not

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
An old friend sent me a message telling me he bought a TT about a month ago. It is his first TT. He is towing with a 2013 Expedition. I think he said it is 5600# Dry and about 6200# loaded.
He asked me if I thought he would notice an appreciable difference in the towing experience by upgrading the TV to a GM 1500 pickup.
He said the Expedition was a little squishy and it wiggles.
He doesn't want to spend the money for a new truck for very little different towing experience.
I told him I didn't think he would notice a large difference, as long as his Expedition is in good mechanical condition.
He is a bit of a car guy, so he takes care of cars.
He put Bilsteins on a year ago.
I pointed him to this forum to check his hitch setup.
He has an Equalizer hitch.
Told him proper set up will alleviate a lot of issues.
If his set up is good, probably won't notice much difference by going to a 1/2 ton pickup would he?
17 REPLIES 17

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the replies.
As stated, I pointed him toward proper hitch set up.
Have not heard from him since. With Hurricane Beta here in the Houston area, he probably has not done anything with regard to verifying setup yet.
Lots of interesting thoughts and comments here.

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Again, before spending even $1000 on tires or even $250 on suspension mods, review the procedure to adjust the WDH.

If OP's friend is looking for an excuse to upgrade without data, just go to 3/4 ton. ๐Ÿ˜„

I sent him the adjustment procedure you noted.
He doesn't want to spend the money for a new TV only to find little to no difference. Definitely not looking for an excuse to upgrade.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
tires

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Even though this full sized SUV is derived from a F150....the SUV market folks demand even higher levels of โ€˜ride qualityโ€™...typical for all badges...so the OEM normally softens the springs (changes the force rates over travel) and other โ€˜carโ€™ attributes added...though that is also happening to pickups...folks deciding ride quality over pure truck ride

For this OP, going to higher class tires will help, but first air the โ€˜Pโ€™ class tires to their max sidewall PSI rating before purchasing new shoes

Next would be replacing the shocks with higher dampening rate shocks. Even performance level, but ride quality will suffer

Normally do not recommend higher torsional rate front & rear anti-sway (anti-lean) bars, but in this case another less costly than a new vehicle. Just understand both = #1 the ride quality will be reduced and #2 the ride quality will also be reduced

Of course, the setup needs to be dialed in correctly.

From having the right torsion bar ratings, to the orientation of the whole setup, which should have the TV returned to whatever front/rear weighting/measurement/etc the OEMโ€™s manual recommends.

The final orientation of the setup should be the above for the TV after dialing everything in and the trailer should be level in its pointing or preferred to have it pointing slightly down

Of course, first weigh the whole setup, axle by axle, both hooked up and WD bars not tensioned

Good luck and report back so others might gleen insight for their setup
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Going from that anemic 5.4 V8 to a modern V8 (or turbo V6) would absolutely make a considerable difference.

I think the cooling would be better on the newer vehicles as well.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Again, before spending even $1000 on tires or even $250 on suspension mods, review the procedure to adjust the WDH.

If OP's friend is looking for an excuse to upgrade without data, just go to 3/4 ton. ๐Ÿ˜„
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely tires, going to e rated. Adjusting the hitch and even timbrens will help that Ford. I had a 1998 Ford 150 conversion van w a 4.6 or 4.8l v8 that towed way better than a 2005 Chevy Avalanche. 5.3L.

Stock to stock. I really was just freaked out. I had a 2007 Chevy Suburban 2500 w the 6.0 L. That would tow a house. Just not pass up a gas station. The Avalanche was just a modified Suburban.

So that Ford will do the job just equipped right.

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
Real tires not P rated.
al

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Does he have "P" rated tires currently? An upgrade will make a huge difference.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Switching to "E" rated tires on my F150 took out the squishy - squirmy feeling.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Or, his problem could possibly be solved with some simple suspension upgrades. If he is not over weight limit for his current TV AND he is okay with the power, have him check out things like air bags and springs.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Have him spend $15 at a scale to fine tune the WDH. He may also learn how close to all his ratings which may justify something different and what capacities he would like to increase.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
1/2 ton pickups come in a huge variety of flavors.

The bottom of the line will likely not be much better.

The top of the line (towing capability) will be a lot better.

As someone else mentioned, it sounds like he is overloaded. Take it to a CAT scale and find out what the real numbers are.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Yeah, a lot of variables here to make a competent recommendation on the info given.
However stiffer rear suspension and stiffer tires generally improves the conditions heโ€™s experiencing.
Donโ€™t need to get a new vehicle to do that though. Within reason.

Also his perception of โ€œhowโ€ it should tow comes into play too. Like whatโ€™s his basis for comparison?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold