cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toad on Trailer vs 4 Down

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Class B (TBD - probably just a simple cargo van conversion) with 1988 GMC S15.
S15 (2700#) is short wheelbase, automatic, 2wd (V8 conversion).
Trailer (1560#) is 16' car hauler, wood deck.
Question: Haul on trailer or tow 4 down?
With the trailer I have to deal with ramps, tie downs and the additional weight, but I can back it.
Towing 4 down I have to pull the rear wheels up on ramps, crawl under, disconnect the driveshaft at the rear (4 nuts) and tie it up. (Nope, don't want to get a drive disconnect).
Overall length difference is probably only about 2' to 3'. Should get better gas mileage doing 4 down. Tow bar hooks up easier than trailer tongue.
(Wish I knew how to set up a poll on this!)
Currently Between RVs
19 REPLIES 19

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
phil-t wrote:
Towing backwards is problematic for the front end, steering. Alignment not setup for rearward travel. I would trailer it.

And lifting the rear to get it on the dolly makes that worse...

Wait, wut??
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
capacitor wrote:
How about a tow dolly? Back on to it, no driveshaft issues.

Not a sustainable idea.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
The clearance on those steering wheel locks is pretty minimal. I somewhat doubt that a rope would be rigid enough to matter unless the lock broke. Maybe just for peace of mind?
Currently Between RVs

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
DougE wrote:
Any real world experience for rearward dolly towing?
Caster on an S15 is about 3*. If you raise the rear 12" with a 108" wheelbase, that's a 6* rise and changes the caster to -3*. If you tow backwards then the caster is back at the original 3* positive. So no issue?
Is the steering column lock sufficient to hold the wheels in the straight ahead configuration?
By the way, I appreciate all the comments as its giving me additional things to consider.

Decades back I owned/drove tow trucks. Always more stable when hooked to front.
I always used a rope to hold the wheel, was afraid of damage if trusted the lock.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Any real world experience for rearward dolly towing?
Caster on an S15 is about 3*. If you raise the rear 12" with a 108" wheelbase, that's a 6* rise and changes the caster to -3*. If you tow backwards then the caster is back at the original 3* positive. So no issue?
Is the steering column lock sufficient to hold the wheels in the straight ahead configuration?
By the way, I appreciate all the comments as its giving me additional things to consider.
Currently Between RVs

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
phil-t wrote:
Towing backwards is problematic for the front end, steering. Alignment not setup for rearward travel. I would trailer it.

And lifting the rear to get it on the dolly makes that worse...

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Allegro 36LA

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
From your figures S25 and trailer combined weight of 4260lb equals a tongue weight of 425 to approx 500 lbs, you are within the specs you listed 500/5000. As long as you are not exceeding (drastically) the 'Bs' rear axle, I would say GO WITH THE TRAILER.
4 down = driveshaft disconnect , tow dolly front wheels up = drive shaft disconnect. tow dolly rear wheels up, rear over hang of bed and step bumper may put it too close to MH, turning. Some will say that in can be down, some with say that it can't be done.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
How about a tow dolly? Back on to it, no driveshaft issues.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
no drive shaft disconnect IMHO had one, hated it.
bumpy

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Per my signature I currently have a Class B Sprinter. (Sold the motorcycle thus going to a S15 toad). I may sell the Sprinter and just fix up a van for camping. I generally expect cargo vans to be good for 500#/5000# but will ensure whatever my tow vehicle is, is capable. (I've traveled in every class but a 5th wheel for ~60 years.)
Currently Between RVs

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk, weight...total and tongue...is always important. Never exceed manufacturerโ€™s specs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Use the trailer. No rolling around in the dirt, mud, gravel, grease etc. disconnecting drive shaft.

given those options...use the trailer but only if you can safely tow the combined weight of the trailer and vehicle. what is the combined weight of the trailer/vehicle? how much can the Class B rated to tow? what is the GCWR of the Class B?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absolutely, Doug. Thatโ€™s why I pull a TT with new or fairly new vehicle. Reliability.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad