cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toad on Trailer vs 4 Down

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Class B (TBD - probably just a simple cargo van conversion) with 1988 GMC S15.
S15 (2700#) is short wheelbase, automatic, 2wd (V8 conversion).
Trailer (1560#) is 16' car hauler, wood deck.
Question: Haul on trailer or tow 4 down?
With the trailer I have to deal with ramps, tie downs and the additional weight, but I can back it.
Towing 4 down I have to pull the rear wheels up on ramps, crawl under, disconnect the driveshaft at the rear (4 nuts) and tie it up. (Nope, don't want to get a drive disconnect).
Overall length difference is probably only about 2' to 3'. Should get better gas mileage doing 4 down. Tow bar hooks up easier than trailer tongue.
(Wish I knew how to set up a poll on this!)
Currently Between RVs
19 REPLIES 19

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Those are some quick responses. Thanks.
I ran a Class A for a number of years with a Suzuki Sidekick toad. Nice rig but the Sidekick was pretty snug inside and I had to exercise the transmission every 200 miles to keep it lubed. Most of my life I've had way too many vehicles and I'm trying to keep it simpler these days so don't really want to add another vehicle.
The S15 will have a step bumper so can be used to spot a trailer after it's unloaded. But, yes, dealing with the trailer is another consideration.
Both Lwiddis and corvettekent are using their tow vehicles for general transportation whereas I favor having a second means of transportation.
Currently Between RVs

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Prettty sure that S15 is a little more than 2700lbs on the road , but not a lot.
Towing that on a trailer is more than Iโ€™d want to pull with a conversion van. (Most are older and not meant for heavy towing).
Having a little van defeats most of the purpose of a toad, but thatโ€™s none of our business.
Having a trailer to drag, park, unhook etc also defeats the purpose of a little B.
So everything is a compromise. This one is your decision and the meaningful discussion on this wonโ€™t be really meaningful because you need to decide how YOU are going to use the setup as a whole.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Y-Guy
DougE are open to a third option? What about getting a dinghy that you can flat tow with all that work? The thought of either having to unload it or rebuild it every time would be a big turn off for me.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I would use the trailer before I crawl under the truck to disconnect the driveshaft. I use to use a car trailer to haul a show car and it became very easy and fast to load and unload.
I don't know what type of camping you plan on doing but have you thought about what to do with the trailer once you are set up at camp?
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the trailer. No rolling around in the dirt, mud, gravel, grease etc. disconnecting drive shaft.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad