cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tom Raper RV's/ Camping World

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
David Bane who owns the three Tom Raper dealerships in Richmond Indiana, Columbus and Cincinnati Ohio announced that he is selling to a nationwide RV sales and service company. The word here in his home town is that Camping World is buying them. If so, Marcus scored three very large-fairly well respected dealerships.
21 REPLIES 21

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Tom Raper is a high volume dealer, so this seems a good fit to me. Their service, etc... are about average - being high volume, some people will have had bad experiences, most acceptable. IMO, it seems like a good fit for CW and gives them some stores in an area where they don't have any.

(Disclosure: I've never bought a trailer from Tom Raper, although I've visited several times, bought parts, and bought other stuff from their store. I bought my trailer from RV Wholesalers in OH. Not because I don't like Tom Raper, but because I don't like to haggle.)
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I bought our RV at Raper ten years ago. Had to go back once for a couple of minor issues which they took care of with no problems. Considering it's a 6 hour drive from home to the dealership I fortunately haven't had a need to go back. My RV still runs great ( I do all maint. by schedule) and it looks like new since I've kept it garaged since new (when not in use of course). There is a quality rv service center close to my home so major service has never been an issue. This is the time of year to buy to get the max discounts.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
two slides wrote:
camperforlife wrote:
David Bane who owns the three Tom Raper dealerships in Richmond Indiana, Columbus and Cincinnati Ohio announced that he is selling to a nationwide RV sales and service company. The word here in his home town is that Camping World is buying them. If so, Marcus scored three very large-fairly well respected dealerships.

I'm considering purchasing a new RV this year & TOM RAPER was one place I was considering. I had previously bought 2 RV's from them back in the 90's. was treated well & they had a good service dept. then. So now I have to scratch-off TOM RAPER from my list of dealers.
as for CW locations, they will not ever see me on their lots or in stores again after the terrible experience I had with their GREENWOOD,IN. (indy area)location 2 years ago. this has to be one of their WORST service dept. locations. on a scale of 1 to 10, they don't even rate a 1. as for the Rapid Response Team to handle claim--not much better. DW still gets furious anytime I mention their name or get a piece of mail from them.

Two Slides, I attempted to PM you but you're not taking PM's. So, I'll take my chances here. We purchased our last RV from Wallnut Ridge RV near New Castle, Indiana. They are a family run business and take great pride in their company. I heard for years they are excellent, so we ended going there for our last purchase (Outback). They are an excellent company, including 2 follow-up inspections of your new purchase at 3 months and 12 months after the purchase to fix anything. They want their units to go out of the 1 year warranty 100% working correct and no flaws. Unheard of by other companies. Also, you make an appointment and they service your camper at that time! No waiting. If there's a problem they cannot fix while you wait, they give you an estimated time frame for completion. I took my camper back for the 3 month and the 12 month re-inspection and there were a couple small issues that involved getting a new part. They told me the approximate date for a pick-up on both occasions, and I waited till the following Saturday so I would not miss work. It was ready and no charge!

The did a few new add-on's when we purchased. They did it while we were signing he paperwork.

If you've never tried Wallnut Ridge, you might pay them a visit. The trip is well worth your time.

When we went, we intended on visiting 4 RV dealerships that day. Wallnut Ridge was last on our list. We have 2 trailers from each dealership we wanted to look at that were similiar, but different brands. For some reason we reversed the order and started at Wallnut Ridge that day. When we walked into the sales room we told the salesman what we wanted to look at. He was a little stubborn, kind of insisting we tell him what TYPE of camper we were looking for. We explained our wants and wishes, and then told him we wanted to look at the models we came to see. He said, well, before going out on the lot let me show you one first. It was in the inside show room. We said reluctantly "OK", just to make him happy.

Well,.... when we stepped inside that camper ... OMG! He was 100% right dead on what we were looking for! We couldn't believe it! I didn't want to leave it.

He then asked if we really wanted to see the two units we came to actually see. We thought for a moment and said, "sure, why not". OMG.... no comparison... boy were we wrong what we THOUGHT we wanted. We went back into the show room, we played with the slides, in-out-in-out, awning in-out-in-out, jacks up, down, up down, storage areas open, close, open, close. We even sat in the camper and watched their RV video, listended to the radio. We told him to go away and leave us a lone a little. He gladly did. He came back about 30 minutes later, we were sold ... 100% We signed the paperwork. We never made it to the other 3 dealerships! No need! It's been a perfect camper for us ever since.

We've never had customer care service, sales service, follow up service, or financing service so good as Wallnut Ridge could offer. This is one RV dealership I certainly hope they never change and they never sell out to another organization.

And oh... by the way ... they have their own campground there. You purchase an RV from them and they give you (I think) 2 nights free. Not only the free camping... but if your need their help, they will assist you setting up your camper and breaking camp too. They want you to fully know, understand, and be able to use your camper when you take it home. Camping world does not do that!

I know I've rambled, but I have good reason to.

Good luck in your search.
You need to open up your Private Messages.
We bought our current 5er there 10 years ago next month. We went back for thier two night stay and have a couple thinks looked at. We have had one warranty item with the trailer, but had it fixed in Greenwood since they were a Keystone product dealer. Walnut Ridge was to far away at the time. I did get to talk to one of the owners sometime later about the issue we had and he was glad we had it fixed where we did as at the time they did not have the proper power in the shop to troubleshoot it. They were having it installed at the time we talked. I would visit them again if we decide to trade.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
two slides wrote:
camperforlife wrote:

I'm considering purchasing a new RV this year & TOM RAPER was one place I was considering. I had previously bought 2 RV's from them back in the 90's. was treated well & they had a good service dept. then. So now I have to scratch-off TOM RAPER from my list of dealers.
as for CW locations, they will not ever see me on their lots or in stores again after the terrible experience I had with their GREENWOOD,IN. (indy area)location 2 years ago. this has to be one of their WORST service dept. locations. on a scale of 1 to 10, they don't even rate a 1. as for the Rapid Response Team to handle claim--not much better. DW still gets furious anytime I mention their name or get a piece of mail from them.

Two Slides, I attempted to PM you but you're not taking PM's. So, I'll take my chances here. We purchased our last RV from Wallnut Ridge RV near New Castle, Indiana. They are a family run business and take great pride in their company. I heard for years they are excellent, so we ended going there for our last purchase (Outback). They are an excellent company, including 2 follow-up inspections of your new purchase at 3 months and 12 months after the purchase to fix anything. They want their units to go out of the 1 year warranty 100% working correct and no flaws. Unheard of by other companies. Also, you make an appointment and they service your camper at that time! No waiting. If there's a problem they cannot fix while you wait, they give you an estimated time frame for completion. I took my camper back for the 3 month and the 12 month re-inspection and there were a couple small issues that involved getting a new part. They told me the approximate date for a pick-up on both occasions, and I waited till the following Saturday so I would not miss work. It was ready and no charge!

The did a few new add-on's when we purchased. They did it while we were signing he paperwork.

If you've never tried Wallnut Ridge, you might pay them a visit. The trip is well worth your time.

When we went, we intended on visiting 4 RV dealerships that day. Wallnut Ridge was last on our list. We have 2 trailers from each dealership we wanted to look at that were similiar, but different brands. For some reason we reversed the order and started at Wallnut Ridge that day. When we walked into the sales room we told the salesman what we wanted to look at. He was a little stubborn, kind of insisting we tell him what TYPE of camper we were looking for. We explained our wants and wishes, and then told him we wanted to look at the models we came to see. He said, well, before going out on the lot let me show you one first. It was in the inside show room. We said reluctantly "OK", just to make him happy.

Well,.... when we stepped inside that camper ... OMG! He was 100% right dead on what we were looking for! We couldn't believe it! I didn't want to leave it.

He then asked if we really wanted to see the two units we came to actually see. We thought for a moment and said, "sure, why not". OMG.... no comparison... boy were we wrong what we THOUGHT we wanted. We went back into the show room, we played with the slides, in-out-in-out, awning in-out-in-out, jacks up, down, up down, storage areas open, close, open, close. We even sat in the camper and watched their RV video, listended to the radio. We told him to go away and leave us a lone a little. He gladly did. He came back about 30 minutes later, we were sold ... 100% We signed the paperwork. We never made it to the other 3 dealerships! No need! It's been a perfect camper for us ever since.

We've never had customer care service, sales service, follow up service, or financing service so good as Wallnut Ridge could offer. This is one RV dealership I certainly hope they never change and they never sell out to another organization.

And oh... by the way ... they have their own campground there. You purchase an RV from them and they give you (I think) 2 nights free. Not only the free camping... but if your need their help, they will assist you setting up your camper and breaking camp too. They want you to fully know, understand, and be able to use your camper when you take it home. Camping world does not do that!

I know I've rambled, but I have good reason to.

Good luck in your search.
You need to open up your Private Messages.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
two slides wrote:
camperforlife wrote:

We had a similar experience in Greenwood a few years back. What I'm hearing is that most personnel will remain the same in Richmond. They said they were adding more service bays. They already have more bays than I have ever seen at any dealer. It should be interesting.

two_slides
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
As the competition is eliminated through take overs the purchase price of RVs will go up. JMO
Don

If that happens, its possible prices could increase beyond anyone's comfort level. When that happens, the industry may collapse. (I really doubt that though). But, in the event prices increase too much, it's like everything else, there will be the "haves" and the "have nots". The "have nots" will revert back to tent camping because a tent is more affordable. Older folks will use their RV until they fall apart, and then give it up completely.

Based upon my last visit to Camping World, I don't remember seeing any tents for sale! That leaves Dicks Sporting Goods, Cabala's, Gander Mountain and Wall Mart for a good old-fashioned tent. Better buy that tent NOW before inflation make them impossible to purchase too!

"Tiny House Nation" is the new "fad". Watched that show a couple night ago. $300,000 (plus) for a 400 square foot house on a utility trailer frame that can be moved around..... are people NUTS! I see the day RV's will be extinct.

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
double post
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
As the competition is eliminated through take overs the purchase price of RVs will go up. JMO
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Before too long, you won't be able to buy an RV unless Thor made it or buy it anywhere but at Camping World. Twenty years from now we may look back and be able to point our finger at the two entities that caused the demise of the RV industry.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
IndyCamp wrote:
Sounds like Tom Raper isn't thought of very highly.

I guess this is great news then, because I've never heard of anyone being unhappy with Camping World sales or service. :W

I expected these comments which I'm sure are valid. However you have to keep in mind that these huge dealers didn't get to be the size they are by cranking off every customer that walks in the door.

The happy customers have to far exceed the unhappy ones or the business would fail to exist. The sheer volume that they do pretty much guarantees that some sales experiences will be less than positive.

Those who are unhappy are far more vocal than the happy ones. I am included in the vocal group at times, but my experiences with Raper has been nothing but positive.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raymon wrote:
"I've never heard of anyone being unhappy with Camping World sales or service."

Say what? Are you just kidding?

Notice the Winky! :W

Looks like Marcus wants to take over the RV sales business nation wide. Upside would be service across the country from the same company. Sort of like buying tires from Discount/Amercia's Tire, vs your local one store shop.

Now the challenge becomes to manage sales, parts and service at a level that satisfies your customers! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
"I've never heard of anyone being unhappy with Camping World sales or service."

Say what? Are you just kidding?

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like Tom Raper isn't thought of very highly.

I guess this is great news then, because I've never heard of anyone being unhappy with Camping World sales or service. :W
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI