cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tornado Safety

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, it appears that several RVers were killed in Louisiana by a tornado while in their RV. What is a safe way to weather a storm?
I would think it would be obvious to shelter in a fixed structure in the campground. Otherwise wouldn't it be better to get in your tow vehicle or toad where you would be surrounded by steel? I would even consider idling the engine so the airbags were active. Thoughts?
Currently Between RVs
50 REPLIES 50

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
To answer the OP. Yes, you are much safer in your vehicle then your RV. But, you are much safer in a proper shelter then your vehicle.

The campground I frequent use the block bathrooms as a shelter house. I have a weather radio and if the storm looks close I drive my vehicle to the bathroom and then decide if I need to run inside.

My choice, my decision

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Last year was especially dangerous. I had two twisters approach within a mile of my rig last year, one less than a few hundred feet. The neighbor's Airstream trailer to where I was, said trailer became a treehouse, courtesy of the tornado.

The thing is to look for structures that are decently storm resistant beforehand.

Freight train noise, and nothing nearby that is safe? Bail the RV, find a ditch, get low. This keeps the wind from picking you up, and also minimizes the chance of getting smacked with some debris. It might help to grab a blanket if possible to wrap up in, just to mitigate getting hit by flying stuff while in the ditch. Protecting the head is important, because it doesn't take that big an object flying around, hitting the cranium, to move someone across the animal/vegetable line.

Bath house? Grab a blanket or some padding just so you have some protection if debris comes flying in, as well as protection against flying glass if the windows break.

In a vehicle? Too many variables. The road might be clogged with rubberneckers looking at the twister and not fleeing from it. There may be wrecks. There might be debris on the road, blocking exits. Use your best judgement. Sometimes it is good to keep going. Other times, it might be best to grab a jacket, find a ditch/ravine.

I watch the weather, and if there are warnings, I check the radar (many apps out there for that.) Depending on where I am, and what is around, if the weather is threatening, I might just find a nearby inn and rent a motel room for the night, just so that if something does hit, I have an actual structure and a bathroom (well away from flying glass) to hide in.

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
I have lived most of my life in Oklahoma and Florida. I have been under hundreds (maybe thousands) of tornado watches, warnings, and alerts. I have yet to experience an actual tornado. In the scope of weather, tornadoes are geographically isolated, but very destructive event. I would not pack up a campsite just because there was a tornado watch. Usually, by the time a watch is issued, the watch would expire before you could escape the area.

Having said that, I would keep a close eye on the weather conditions in my immediate area. If I saw extremely low and angry looking clouds, or saw a funnel, or heard a noise like a freight train, I would look for shelter in this order:

1) a concrete block building with few or no windows. Sounds like most bathhouses I have seen.
2) a wooden structure with plumbing. And hang on to the pipes if you hear a train. Often, a wooden structure will be destroyed, but the pipes remain in place.
3) hang on to a water pipe at an empty site, and pray real hard.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't simply jump out of the RV to jump into a car. I would grab a heavy blanket/comforter to throw over me and run to a low laying spot and hunker down.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nobody has mentioned having a ditch bag all ready to go when a severe storm watch is issued.

Have important papers, passport, vehicle titles, money, prescritions, some food, water, phone charger, anything else portable that you don't want to lose.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
If those were the only options I would rather be in my truck than RV. It could roll over and still be in one piece. The rv would not.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
cmcdar - so by that reference, if you can't readily drive away from the tornado you should hunker down in your vehicle with your seat belt on or lie in a low spot or ditch, if available. Think the car would be better than the RV?
Currently Between RVs

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I would likely choose neither!

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/safety.html

In a mobile home:Get out! Even if your home is tied down, it is not as safe as an underground shelter or permanent, sturdy building. Go to one of those shelters, or to a nearby permanent structure, using your tornado evacuation plan. Most tornadoes can destroy even tied-down mobile homes; and it is best not to play the low odds that yours will make it. This mobile-home safety video from the State of Missouri may be useful in developing your plan.

In a car or truck: Vehicles are extremely risky in a tornado. There is no safe option when caught in a tornado in a car, just slightly less-dangerous ones. If the tornado is visible, far away, and the traffic is light, you may be able to drive out of its path by moving at right angles to the tornado. Seek shelter in a sturdy building, or underground if possible. If you are caught by extreme winds or flying debris, park the car as quickly and safely as possible -- out of the traffic lanes. Stay in the car with the seat belt on. Put your head down below the windows; cover your head with your hands and a blanket, coat, or other cushion if possible. If you can safely get noticeably lower than the level of the roadway,leave your car and lie in that area, covering your head with your hands. Avoid seeking shelter under bridges, which can create deadly traffic hazards while offering little protection against flying debris.

In the open outdoors: If possible, seek shelter in a sturdy building. If not, lie flat and face-down on low ground, protecting the back of your head with your arms. Get as far away from trees and cars as you can; they may be blown onto you in a tornado.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
In response to my original post everybody is pushing alternatives (all better) than riding out a storm in your RV or vehicle, but the original premise was which would you do if that were your only choice. RV or tow vehicle (or toad)? And why?
Currently Between RVs

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
In a campground they always tell you to head for a concrete building, often the laundry room or comfort station.
It may be wind proof but it's not RV proof, the one tossed by the tornado.

YOU HAVE WHEELS USE THEM!

How do you do that? The latest watch covered about 5 states. Are you saying one should exit from all those states! 800 miles?

If not, when an actual WARNING comes, you MAY, repeat MAY, have from a few minutes, to half an hour. You should NOT drive at this time, as a tornado may hit you driving, which is about the worst possible outcome.

As above, know where the nearest shelter is, and head there at first notice. Take a few snacks and drinks. Rain coat would be nice too.

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
I have an app on my android phone called "Where Am I?". It will tell you exactly where you are including the county. That would come in handy when your weather reports state what county the storm is in.

DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
do not get in a vehicle and try to drive away unless you leave before the tornado warning is issued. For example, if we were in one of the affected areas we knew 2 days in advance that this outbreak was going to be bad so we would have left. When we arrive at a campground we ask where the shelter is. Sturdy building, away from windows with as many walls between you and the outside as possible. Usually the bath house but not always. Sometimes you may need to drive to a nearby building. If you do not know the area I would not attempt to drive away from a tornado especially in the dark with heavy rains. Your vehicle is not safe but may be safer than your RV. (not saying much). Get a weather radio and keep it on. Look at the map and see what county you are located in and what counties surround you and what cities are nearby. when they issue the warning they tell you where the storm is located, what direction and how fast it's traveling and what cities will be affected. Sometimes you only have a few minutes warning. We keep the weather radio on at all times and scan it when we arrive at the next location. We have the TV, the weather radio, my computer and the map handy. My son lives in OK and says that most (not all) tornadoes move from the SW toward the NE. So if you do have to leave in a vehicle, find out where the tornado is located and which direction it's headed, then if it's coming from the SW, head due south in your vehicle. More dangerous at night. Don't go to sleep if there is a possibility of tornadoes if you don't have a weather radio that will wake you up. Don't second guess and don't let anyone talk you out of going to a shelter. Don't try to take stuff with you unless you have it ready to go before hand. Common sense will keep you safe. In the last 7 years of full timing we have evacuated 4 times. In FL, IL, MO and OH. Better safe than sorry.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We're currently in Myrtle Beach Travel Park and have warnings all day. We have what we call the winter hall that is used as a shelter when needed. As well the washrooms/bathhouses within the campground are another place for folks to go if they get an alert.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
In a campground they always tell you to head for a concrete building, often the laundry room or comfort station.
It may be wind proof but it's not RV proof, the one tossed by the tornado.

YOU HAVE WHEELS USE THEM!

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Weather Radio by WDT iPhone or Android app.

This app follows you and if you are in an area where the National Weather Service has issued a warning (good while driving) or when one is issued in an area you are staying in, an your phone will sound an alarm and speak out loud the warning.

I use other apps and device to find other weather info.

I could not find a Weather radio that used GPS to dtermine current location. Manually setting up the radio every stop would likely get over looked.

Your milage may vary.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab