cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tornadoes in the Southeast

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We've been planning a leisurely trip down the Natchez Trace, to New Orleans, and back up through Alabama towards I-81. Got it all worked out for this spring - end of March into April.

It just came to mind that that is tornado season. :E

Looking at some sites that talk about average tornadoes by month Mississippi and Alabama look pretty bad for those months.

What do you think? Would it stop you?

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
26 REPLIES 26

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having lived in the Wichita Falls area in the 60s I have seen my share of pink and green skies every three days during the so called Tornoado season... Seems like this is sort of moving more east now with the changing climates...

Two of the houses we lived in Wichita falls during the 60s both have been blown down due to Tornaodes...

Being aware is the way to go. Need one of those NOAH Weather alert radios... You can skirt the areas that are affected most of the times...

WX maps on our Sirius Radio in our truck really is a neat thing to have when traveling...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
No, would not stop us at all. We live in Indiana, another tornado alley. If you stop and fret over something that may never happen, you'll probably never go camping.

We've been through 2 tornadoes while camping over the last 30 years of camping, from tent to trailers. And both times, we were relatively safe. And actually, if a tornado comes, you really do not give a hoot about your RV at that point. That's what insurance is for. You get to a safe place (not inside the RV), and join everyone else who is panicking. Last time this happened to us, we gathered in the women's restroom (block building), and we all started sing-along songs to bid the time! Funny, the dogs in attendance started howling. I think we all had a marvelous party. So you know ... tornadoes are really not all THAT bad!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Would not change my plans. But then I have lived in the southern end of "tornado alley" all my 70 years. Last time our house was hit by a tornado was 1948 when I was 2! Have only seen two in the years since.

Be alert to weather forecast. Know where shelter is in case of the rare event of one in your area. Enjoy your trip.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scottiemom wrote:
Having lived in tornado territory all my life, I can say we never altered our plans to do anything or go anywhere. Those storms are so darn unpredictable there is just no telling when you might run into problems or not. Best advice, be aware of your surroundings, keep a good weather radio, and know where the safest place is to go in the event of a problem.

I would always opt for safety. Watch the weather. . .if you see something coming up, avoid it. One year we were headed across Ohio to family in Indiana. Storms all around us. We had the weather radar up on the laptop with our navigation. We snaked around the roads and highways avoiding the most dangerous cells. Made it fine.

Dale

For sure.

This is the nicest time of year in the South, so don't change your trip. But DO make sure you have a plan to get to shelter. Side roads with exits off the trace are fairly plentiful. Know where you are in relation to one of them so you can get off and seek shelter.

Keep track on a map and know what county you are in, so you can keep up with weather alerts on a radio. Also an app like Weather Underground is very useful. If you see heavy storms on the radar, it's a good time to get off anyway. Those are no fun to drive in.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
I have lived in North Texas all my 54 years. I have never even seen an actual tornado in person and we do get our share here. Have had some fairly close to me but not close enough to really worry.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Not only are they unpredictable, they are pin point in where they strike. Take a map of the southeast. They are of no concern whatsoever. The likelihood of being affected by a tornado while traveling the Southeast is extremely minimal.

+1

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:

What do you think? Would it stop you?

No. But cold weather might.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Not only are they unpredictable, they are pin point in where they strike. Take a map of the southeast. They are of no concern whatsoever. The likelihood of being affected by a tornado while traveling the Southeast is extremely minimal.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Having lived in tornado territory all my life, I can say we never altered our plans to do anything or go anywhere. Those storms are so darn unpredictable there is just no telling when you might run into problems or not. Best advice, be aware of your surroundings, keep a good weather radio, and know where the safest place is to go in the event of a problem.

I would always opt for safety. Watch the weather. . .if you see something coming up, avoid it. One year we were headed across Ohio to family in Indiana. Storms all around us. We had the weather radar up on the laptop with our navigation. We snaked around the roads and highways avoiding the most dangerous cells. Made it fine.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
No, but make sure to have a good weather radio with an all alerts feature. If you are towing, have a good radio in the tow vehicle. Sometimes these nasty storms hit in the middle of the night, so keep the radio on all night. Most weather alerts are by County, so know the county in which you are camped or driving through. Further, when you check into a campground, make sure to identify the storm shelters, often the restrooms or camp office. Hopefully, you won't need any of the info. here. Have a great trip.

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
No here. we did that trip last year when we left Florida and had a great time with good weather the entire trip. New Orleans, Vicksburg, Memphis, Nashville, Lexington KY, Smokes, Virginia and then on home to NH.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Nope